Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

At the end of the summer I plastidipped my rear oem spoiler matte black to get a feel for what it looked like on my car. I like the look. Goes well with the header orange and black wheels. I dont have an SRT, and dont want to buy one with the SRT badges.

Now I dont want to keep the spoiler plastidipped, because I dont like the texture. I was wondering what would be the best way for me to get a matte black oem spoiler. I have tried searching online but cant find any without SRT badges.

I really know nothing about bodyshop stuff (ie what materials they use and what they look like.)
If I purchase an unpainted spoiler off ebay or any online vendor. What is the likelihood of it being in a matte black finish? I know sometimes it can come in a white/grey color as well?

Does anyone know of a vendor who sells the spoiler without the SRT badges?

Thanks
Arvin

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
local bodyshop is your best bet
Luke

Hi,

At the end of the summer I plastidipped my rear oem spoiler matte black to get a feel for what it looked like on my car. I like the look. Goes well with the header orange and black wheels. I dont have an SRT, and dont want to buy one with the SRT badges.

Now I dont want to keep the spoiler plastidipped, because I dont like the texture. I was wondering what would be the best way for me to get a matte black oem spoiler. I have tried searching online but cant find any without SRT badges.

I really know nothing about bodyshop stuff (ie what materials they use and what they look like.)
If I purchase an unpainted spoiler off ebay or any online vendor. What is the likelihood of it being in a matte black finish? I know sometimes it can come in a white/grey color as well?

Does anyone know of a vendor who sells the spoiler without the SRT badges?

Thanks
Arvin

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
There's lot of 1 stage hot rod matte black enamels out there that are super easy to do yourself...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I wonder if a body shop could paint the spoiler without removing it? Just tape off evcerything around it, prep it and spray it?

Not being a paint or body shop guy maybe this is a ridiculous idea...feel free to le tme know if it is!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For $100, I think its worth it. And they do have MTB Flat black. Do you think that would be what im looking for?

And isnt black friday next week? I wonder if the price might come down. It already says on sale. lol.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I wonder if a body shop could paint the spoiler without removing it? Just tape off evcerything around it, prep it and spray it?

Not being a paint or body shop guy maybe this is a ridiculous idea...feel free to le tme know if it is!
Masking it would be more of a hassle than just taking it off. It's only two nuts holding it on, along with a plastic pop tab in the center. Takes literally less than five minutes to remove.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
From what I read there is some pretty tough adhesive tape under their as well plus the fact that you have to realign and retape it when you put it back together.

...I haven't done it myself though - this is what I have gathered from reading on here.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shipping Handling, Duty etc are a given.

But more importantly, Is the MTB Flat black what I am looking for? Is it that same black color that comes on the SRT spoiler?

Thanks
Arvin

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
From what I read there is some pretty tough adhesive tape under their as well plus the fact that you have to realign and retape it when you put it back together.

...I haven't done it myself though - this is what I have gathered from reading on here.
I've taken mine off numerous times. The first time is def the toughest, but still no more than a five min job. But I cleaned the tape off the underside the first time I removed it because it's pointless, doesn't serve any solid purpose. As far as alignment, there really isn't any. Two studs at the ends of the spoiler go right back in the holes they came out of. Not really any room for adjustment.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Cool - good to know. I'm contemplating painting mine black. I love how it look son the bright color cars.

Mine is granite crystal metallic though - not sure how it will look on it. There may not be enough contrast between black and granite to really make a difference, or be noticable.

ARVIN, sorry I thought you were focused on the low price. I was just pointing out it would be 35% more than the advertsied $99 price.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Shipping Handling, Duty etc are a given.

But more importantly, Is the MTB Flat black what I am looking for? Is it that same black color that comes on the SRT spoiler?

Thanks
Arvin
I'm not sure why the MTB stands for. The only abbreviation I've found for that is mountain bike and that doesn't seem plausible lol. Do you have any other matte black on your car? Anywhere near the spoiler? As long a you don't have two different matte blacks RIGHT next to each other, no one is ever gonna notice. Matte black is matte black. This isn't to say that I would paint my whole hood one matte black, and use a different one to paint the trunk deck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woz, Good point on it being 35% more. Dont really notice the actual value of it till you put it like that. Its still a good deal for me though. Ive been wanting to do it for a while.

And LCPL, I have plastidipped my wheels black. They came chrome. But im planning on buying a new set in the near future, so its not really too important.

I think I will pull the trigger on this. Do you think I should get it now? Or wait a week and see if the price comes down?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Woz, Good point on it being 35% more. Dont really notice the actual value of it till you put it like that. Its still a good deal for me though. Ive been wanting to do it for a while.

And LCPL, I have plastidipped my wheels black. They came chrome. But im planning on buying a new set in the near future, so its not really too important.

I think I will pull the trigger on this. Do you think I should get it now? Or wait a week and see if the price comes down?
Gotcha. With wheels being the only other matte black, I would pull the trigger on the spoiler. IMO I don't see the price coming down a whole bunch from 100 bucks. That pretty dang cheap. Especially considering how much they cost from the dealer. Just my opinion though

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well considering they offer all of the factory colors I would think that the flat black they have would be the same as the one from factory. But then again, I'm not 100%. You should probably contact them and ask...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Btw I'm almost positive the mtb is the paint code for the matte black that comes from the dealer. I've found a lot of Daytona spoilers that are factory for the chargers, and they all have that same paint code

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tried contacting them. The number listed on the website is not in service. But I managed to find out that they changed it back in 2012.

The second page of google actually is for things other than desperation in the search of unmentionable material. :smiley35: hahah

Unfortunately theyre closed today. Ill call them tomorrow. Let you guys know what they say. Ill probably purchase it tomorrow as well.

Thanks for the input

1 - 19 of 19 Posts