Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is my 2nd post besides my introduction to say hi. More of a story without a ending as of yet. I would be interested to hear feedback because I feel my hands are tied. I bought a used 2010 R/t. I was completely overwhelmed , never had nothing this powerful or this nice before. Wrote the check brought it home from Maryland and loved it like the baby commercial. I have put 600 miles on it since July. I had my daughter in the back(17months) pulled into traffic, heard a bang( a block from my house) drove it home, and looked. The rear suspension was broke, both rear bushings failed, the axels were hanging out, and the exhaust looked like it was holding everything up. Had it towed to a Dodge dealer, they denied the warranty repair because they said the car had been abused( raced). I've never raced the car, they said that under the rear suspension was 6-700 pieces of rubber, the back tires were different than what came on the car, and there was a sticker under the hood, from a race track. Now I know this sounds bad, but this is exactly the way I bought the car, I have not changed a thing. There is a Nascar sticker under the hood also , but I'm sure no one has ever raced I along side Jr. Have any suggestions? I'm looking at 6000.00 bill that I didn't earn. John

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,104 Posts
Probably the first step is replace the 4 IRS cradle bushings to get your car back on the road. Those are what secure the IRS to the car.

The car probably had been raced by the previous owner and from the looks of it the bolts and retainers pulled through the bushings due to the stress they were (repeatedly) subjected to.

The other areas to look at would be front and rear flex discs (couplers) to make sure those are in good shape and check the bushings in the rear suspension tension arms.

That kind of failure on a 3 - 4 year old car is beyond what could typically happen, which suggests why the dealer arrived at their conclusion...you didn't race it, but the prior owner did.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but it can repaired and fortunately the failure didn't happen at high speed.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
First thing would be to call Chrysler Customer Care and open a case, state what happened and your situation, see if they'll help you out. Everything the dealer listed is circumstantial and proves nothing, though if the dealer can show that much rubber collected underneath then clearly someone loved to do burnouts.

Did you buy the Challenger from a Dodge dealer as a certified car or did you just buy it as a typical used car with whatever factory warranty remained?

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I also question how the dealer came up with the repair costing $6000. If the only issue is that the bushings failed and the center pulled out then those are relatively cheap to replace, but if there's other damage then who knows.

Here's another thread on this subject, also a 2010 R/T. Obviously they didn't break at the track, so I'd definitely be fighting to get it fixed under warranty. I'd call Chrysler, though.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/rear-cradle-broke-loose-54429/

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks got the suggestions . At this point I've notified the dealer where I bought the car, contacted Maryland Lemon Law attorneys, to see what can be done if anything. I did unfortunately buy the car with a typical used car warranty, 30 days or 1000 miles. The big thing is that tiny word "or" because I'm within the 1000 miles but not the 30 days. I talked to a couple of attorneys here and they told me that the car falls into the same category as when a flood car is sold and not disclosed. Maryland has some # point inspection that dealer charged me like 1500 bucks for when I bought the car. It is required by law, and they said they did it. So... Now just waiting to here from the dealership where I bought it to see if they're going to pay for this. Not looking good though. John

·
Registered
515 Posts
Man, that sucks. Where do you live? I'm assuming somewhere in the DC area.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outside of Philadelphia.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ah. Didn't consider NORTH of MD. LOL

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Is it a six speed car or auto ? Its not really a hard repair. Take a day in labor I guess. And a shop with a lift of course.
Even on the garage floor it wouldnt be to bad. Providing you have the tools.
Place you purchased the car really needs to be the one to make the repair.
Best of luck.
FlatTop

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well after contacting the dealership where I originally bought the car, i'm not a whole lot further than I was before yet they agree that the bushings should not have failed on the car they also acknowledge that the equipment that's on there was one there when I was sold to me. The service manager said he would talk to his general manager to see if the car can be towed back to their dealership to fix it. Meanwhile at the dealership that it's sitting at no one has contacted me back or is answering my phone calls or email about pictures or why it was denied. Seems like their service manager is avoiding phone calls. So we filed with the Better Business Bureau. First step down next after the original dealership gets back to me if they don't want to pay for it or take the car back and reimburse me I'll be filing with a lawyer for selling me a car that was raced without disclosing it.

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
failure to disclosed will be a difficult thing to prove, the dealer may have had no idea,
Luke

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly Killawatts! That's my point! I did not in any way drive this car hard. My 17 month old daughter was in the back seat. The dealer that sold it to me just admitted on the phone that he and others remember the the car. They even feel Chrysler should cover it , but they won't do a thing because they stand behind one guys opinion. But you know I'm not a attorney if things are going to be or not hard to prove he should know.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: My car is fixed, for under $2500.00 I might add. The dealer I brought it to that denied it really wanted the work, but maybe they should have talked to me before calling Dodge right up with the whole " car was raced " bologna. I really believe after talking to that dealer and them apologizing for not talking to me about the car before calling Dodge, ( even though they say it isn't this way), if I had bought the car there they would have stood behind it and fixed it. In the mean time I've acquired services from a automobile fraud lawyer. This case falls in the same bracket as a flood car. They didn't disclose that the car had been raced or used in any way out of what the warranty covered. They made us pay for a Maryland state 2100 or something like that safety inspection ( outside of regular inspection) witch should have caught any problems, rubber in the wheel wells, and definitely a track sticker under the hood from New York where the previous owner lived. Chrysler was able to cancel my warranty because of these things, they should have caught them. In my research, talking to friends at Dodge Dealers, this does in fact happen quite often, but Chrysler denies fixing it based most of the time on aftermarket equipment, exhaust ,tires,anything they can find not pay. So if this happens to you, don't roll over and forget about it. The more people fight, maybe they'll fix the problem. I'll fill you in when the final decision come down.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
W - that's all I'm allowed to say. " Never give up Never surrender ":fight:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I do not know if i'm suppose to laugh lol you buy a car from a dealer after 600 miles driving the car the suspension breaks? now the dealer is saying sorry we can not help? waiting all this time?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The car was fixed immediately, just had to wait about a year for justice to be served.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Best of luck to you and I hope the place you bought it from will step up to the plate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts