Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been trying to figure out how to lift the rear of these cars for some time now, and I ended up grabbing a pair of Coil Spring Rubbers / Spacers. They are just a rubber donut that threads into the coil, adding more spring rate, and lift, common in Nascar. Anyways, just thought I would share, I ordered these on Amazon, and they have a groove for the coil to sit in, and in the middle is about 1", you can cut them to size, but I just left mine. The ride is noticeably a bit stiffer, and it lifted the rear roughly half an inch(depending on location), both of which I was after or fine with.

Out of the package

Had to do slight trimming around the inside edge to fit into the coil at max extension

Left coil max droop

Right coil Max droop

Left installed has high as I could put it

Right ditto

Sitting a bit higher in the rear now

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
You are the polar opposite of most here. Instead of lowering, you raised up the rear. I like it. My question is, does it handle differently now? I would think on turns, the back of the car would want to sway a little now.

Reactions: theblaisez24

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are the polar opposite of most here. Instead of lowering, you raised up the rear. I like it. My question is, does it handle differently now? I would think on turns, the back of the car would want to sway a little now.
The spring rate went up, making the springs a bit stiffer, so that is a bit noticeable, I would not say it really sways any more, if anything a bit less because the spring rate. Yeah, another plus with this is more tire clearance for me, I did not cut the quarters when I put the flares on, and with 1.5" spacers I have had no issues with the stock tires, but am slightly concerned when I get the OEM WB wheels + tires

·
Registered
11 Posts
That, is exactly what I've been after, very interested. Mind if I ask a few?
Have you done any wheel realignment, and if so, any woes wrt. available camber range?
Having gone for 1.5" rear spring spacers, in your opinion, would 2" be still ok, or are you real close to overextending the strut now?
Not sure how much you've driven her around since, but did you get any strut knock with that droop, over any potholes / bumps (compacted snow bumps: yet to see I suppose)?
Any noticeable control arm bushing stresses / visible angular load on these with vehicle on ground perhaps?

Asking these as I plan on sticking either Fuel Vapor 20x10 ET-18 (offroad, so 2500 lbs load rated even at 5x115) rims with 285/45/R20 reinforced sidewall SUV tyres (accordingly 112Y rated), or, if I find myself dedicated to burn even more cash on wheels, then custom 19x11 ET-8 rims with 295/45/R19s. Either will result in a reduced wheelwell clearance of 22mm or 15mm respectively, I'd like to compensate for this (and a bit more than that at the rear), while not protesting against balancing the slight ride softening caused by the extra rubber & air by the slight suspension stiffening induced by the spacers that you've observed. However, I'm somewhat concerned, as I've been advised against spacers by those worried about strut overextension (I suppose), at least for my prospective Scat Pack.

Some calcs (wrt. Scat Pack Widebody stock):
Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets (small +7mm on scrub radius)
Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets (nicely matched scrub radius)

I wonder if anyone has done the front, too. Seller Tema4x4 on ebay have these for Challengers, 20 | 30m options at front, 30 | 40 | 50 mm at rear, just in case anyone else is interested. I've bought from them earlier, albeit for a different vehicle (XC90), worked fine. For the Challenger, the difference is while rear ones are spring spacers like yours, the front ones are strut spacers. The reasons I want moderately taller sidewalls are ranging from UK speed bump annoyance to regular drives to, among others, eastern Europe - believe me, a little extra ground clearance and rubber is very useful there, but of course the intention is both functional & aesthetic. Raked looks are great, although I am not quite after the classic raking of the 1980s, part of which I've spent peeking out of an entirely different vehicle (pram) - just trying to make my vehicle more compliant without rendering it less reliable, while achieving (subjectively) better looks.

For me, 40 | 50mm at the rear would be just fine of found safe & sound, and would only want to compensate for lost wheelwell clearance at top by the 20mm front strut spacer.
Check out these war wagons, too (I have doubts about either concept being road legal, however, for various reasons):

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Antiquellist

The section where the spring sits is about 1" and for me, it added just under 0.5" lift, and that was near the top of the coil, for a big lift like you are talking about, the only way I see plausible would be a mount spacer. I would imagine you could lift it quite far, considering how far the suspension falls out under droop, so I would not be too worried about the rear shocks with 40mm

·
Registered
11 Posts
May you & your war pups ride eternal, shiny & chrome!

@Antiquellist

The section where the spring sits is about 1" and for me, it added just under 0.5" lift, and that was near the top of the coil, for a big lift like you are talking about, the only way I see plausible would be a mount spacer. I would imagine you could lift it quite far, considering how far the suspension falls out under droop, so I would not be too worried about the rear shocks with 40mm
Cheers. Even if found well safe (hoping), I'm defo going for just the 40mm (50mm max. even upon careful eval with mechanic) at rear + 20mm front. And the +22mm taller tyre sidewalls. I expect the whole thing would be actually subtle visually, and for suspension dynamics, I am hoping the added spring stiffness would approx. cancel the taller sidewall induced ride softening out. We'll see. Rear is also for weight, full size spare wheel, some small parts, small toolbox in boot / trunk, plus baggage, incl. on the rear seats (I'll need to negotiate some lady packing habits & agreeable baggage limits for cross-Europe trips, too).

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
That, is exactly what I've been after, very interested. Mind if I ask a few?
Have you done any wheel realignment, and if so, any woes wrt. available camber range?
Having gone for 1.5" rear spring spacers, in your opinion, would 2" be still ok, or are you real close to overextending the strut now?
Not sure how much you've driven her around since, but did you get any strut knock with that droop, over any potholes / bumps (compacted snow bumps: yet to see I suppose)?
Any noticeable control arm bushing stresses / visible angular load on these with vehicle on ground perhaps?

Asking these as I plan on sticking either Fuel Vapor 20x10 ET-18 (offroad, so 2500 lbs load rated even at 5x115) rims with 285/45/R20 reinforced sidewall SUV tyres (accordingly 112Y rated), or, if I find myself dedicated to burn even more cash on wheels, then custom 19x11 ET-8 rims with 295/45/R19s. Either will result in a reduced wheelwell clearance of 22mm or 15mm respectively, I'd like to compensate for this (and a bit more than that at the rear), while not protesting against balancing the slight ride softening caused by the extra rubber & air by the slight suspension stiffening induced by the spacers that you've observed. However, I'm somewhat concerned, as I've been advised against spacers by those worried about strut overextension (I suppose), at least for my prospective Scat Pack.

Some calcs (wrt. Scat Pack Widebody stock):
Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets (small +7mm on scrub radius)
Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets (nicely matched scrub radius)

I wonder if anyone has done the front, too. Seller Tema4x4 on ebay have these for Challengers, 20 | 30m options at front, 30 | 40 | 50 mm at rear, just in case anyone else is interested. I've bought from them earlier, albeit for a different vehicle (XC90), worked fine. For the Challenger, the difference is while rear ones are spring spacers like yours, the front ones are strut spacers. The reasons I want moderately taller sidewalls are ranging from UK speed bump annoyance to regular drives to, among others, eastern Europe - believe me, a little extra ground clearance and rubber is very useful there, but of course the intention is both functional & aesthetic. Raked looks are great, although I am not quite after the classic raking of the 1980s, part of which I've spent peeking out of an entirely different vehicle (pram) - just trying to make my vehicle more compliant without rendering it less reliable, while achieving (subjectively) better looks.

For me, 40 | 50mm at the rear would be just fine of found safe & sound, and would only want to compensate for lost wheelwell clearance at top by the 20mm front strut spacer.
Check out these war wagons, too (I have doubts about either concept being road legal, however, for various reasons):

View attachment 1001593

View attachment 1001594
I'd rather have this look myself

1 - 9 of 9 Posts