Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 3rd Challenger. 1st was 2015 SXT Plus, the second was 2019 GT and the 3rd is 2020 GT. All of these models were equipped with same bilstein struts.
My first Challenger was very quiet and noise free. My second and third Challenger have the same strange thumping sound coming from driver's sides rear suspension (could be both side but I hear only drivers side) when going over small sharp bumps or dips in the road. Large bumps are absorbed nisely by the suspension but small sharp imperfection in the road at low 25-35 mph result in this ruttling thumping sound. Based on my inspection it looks like the noise is coming from rear top strut mount. On my 2019 GT, I used chassis ears microphones on all suspension components and strut/mount is what was making the noise. I swapped left and right struts/mounts places with no change. Dealer came to the same conclusion and also replaced strut and mount which once again made no difference. They are now tell me it's normal sound especially since I now have the same on my 2020 GT. But it doesn't make sense especially since I did not have this on my 2015 SXT Plus. Any input is greatly appreciated.
String instrument Musical instrument String instrument accessory String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,028 Posts
There appeared to be little if any movement in the upper strut mount associated with the 1st thump but the remainder of the thumps appeared to be in sync with movement of the upper mount. I had no idea they moved that much or if that is normal. It also appears the assembly marks are still indexed on upper strut nut and washer. I checked mine and the compression of the rubber appears similar. I assume the lower strut mount is tightened correctly?

The are several fasteners related to the sway bar, if any of them were loose they could make a similar sound.

It is odd that you experienced this on 2 cars and no it does not sound normal to me. Something is moving that should not be moving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your input.

Both cars were purchased new and both have this same noise. It drives me crazy especially since even dealership cannot resolve it. Technician hears the rattling noise but can't find the source. In fact that was the main reason why I traded in my 2019 car with only 4,700 miles for the new 2020, hoping this nightmare will end only to have exact same noise in the new car.

Interestingly enough I can sort of replicate the noise by grabbing onto the middle of the stock and shaking it. The resulting noise at the shock mount is somewhat similar.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,028 Posts
Interestingly enough I can sort of replicate the noise by grabbing onto the middle of the stock and shaking it. The resulting noise at the shock mount is somewhat similar.

Just jacked mine up, grabbed the middle of both shocks and tried to shake it, zero movement. Bill Goldberg couldn't make them move or make a sound. The movement I saw in your first video still bothers me. How could a shock do it's job if the top of it is moving like that? My guess is either the shock or the mount or both have failed.

If dealer can't / won't diagnose the problem you could contact Dodge Cares on this forum. Please keep us posted.

Reactions: Emilybest

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I very much appreciate that you tried this on your car. Not many people would go to that extent to help someone out. You are a true enthusiast. Thank you.

What bothers me is that those videos are of newly replaced shock with mount and it behaves the same as original one did. I have to admit that right after new set was installed the car was quiet for about 1 month and then it got to what is shown in the video. This was on 2019 Challenger.

On 2020 Challenger it was quiet for the first week and then the same rattling sound started. Now 1 month into ownership it sounds exactly as my 2019 did. I am reluctant to take this one to a dealer.

What are the odds that all these shocks/mounts are defective.

However, I did noticed that on Dodge parts website they now have a new shock mount version 68343524AA. It has yellow colored band on the lower part.

View attachment 1008455

View attachment 1008456

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,028 Posts
This is very interesting. Hard to believe lightening struck the same place 2 or maybe 3 times also interesting that no-one else has commented. Have you checked for any TSB's?

I was unable to view the attachments, got error message that I did not have permission

Something is definitely broken and will get worse if not addressed. I strongly suggest you contact Dodge Cares on this forum.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would be interesting and very helpful if someone could take similar video of their shock mounts while driving over sharp bump and dips. Please note that large bumps do not cause this rattling noise.

The things I also tried, is disconnecting back half of exhaust on driver's side as one of technician said that exhaust was lose and possibly was making that noise. That was not the case. I also disconnected sway bar links and that made no difference.

I also completely removed driver's side shock and drove the car around the block with only passenger side shock in place. Interestingly enough there was no noise. But it could have been because with only one shock in place the car drove super soft and suspension did not react fast enought on sharp road bumps/dips to cause the noise.

Any additional thoughts or inputs are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could someone take a similar short clip video of driver's side rear shock isolator movement and sound over small sharp imperfection in the road. It would help me tremendously.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,028 Posts
Here you go. The minor movement in the shock were caused by what in SC is know as alligator road, raised cracks in the road. The noise is summer tires on 45 degree alligator road. The major movement was caused by leaving the paved road entering a construction site. The movement looked similar to your video but there was no thumping sound. I think you may have something loose or broken other than the shock.

Scat Pack rear shock

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't thank you enough. This gives me a clear proof for dodge dealer to go figure this out. I will report back once I have an update.
Thank you and have a great holiday.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,028 Posts
I can't thank you enough. This gives me a clear proof for dodge dealer to go figure this out. I will report back once I have an update.
Thank you and have a great holiday.

Any follow up?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts