Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a brand new Eibach rear sway bar for $125. My question is it worth it as far as handling goes? I already have upgraded to SRT springs and shocks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Have you done a front strut bar? It really helped. I also would like to know about the sway bar.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
I would save your money and get the front strut bar....I looked at many and decided the speedlogix bar was the best value and design.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just can't see myself paying that price for a sway bar when I could buy even better springs for the same price.

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
Came across a brand new Eibach rear sway bar for $125. My question is it worth it as far as handling goes? I already have upgraded to SRT springs and shocks
Your '10 SE has a 15mm OEM rear sway bar, for reference the R/T and SRT models had 16mm (stiffer than SE spec).

The Eibach rear bar is 19mm, and is 100% stiffer over the 16mm R/T, SRT version.
It makes a difference...I have the Hotchkis 19mm rear and 38mm front the reduction in body roll is significant.

PS: your front SE bar is 27mm vs. the 30mm for R/T and SRT models of that year...

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
and pictures for reference:

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info! I'll probably grab it this week. Any installation tips?

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll probably grab it this week. Any installation tips?

The rear bar requires unbolting and lowering the rear cradle ~ 4". Its bolted to the top of the cradle. You'll need a long breaker bar to loosen the 4 large cradle to body bolts. The driveshaft remains connected to the differential.

The car can be supported with jackstands and the cradle can be lowered with a floor jack (wood block under diff housing).

You'll need to unbolt the rear brake line brackets to allow enough slack for lowering the rear cradle and unbolt the top shock mounts.

The rear exhaust resonators have a bolt that holds the bracket to allow lowering the exhaust (can be left connected to car, they lower with the cradle's hangers).
Not sure how the left side pipe is handled on the V6, you'd need to support the left side rear resonator to avoid kinking the pipe union on a V8.

When putting the cradle back in, make sure the springs are seated in their cups when raising the cradle back up. Tighten the bolts with the full weight of the car back on the ground.

Its not that difficult, just takes time to unbolt and the little items and retrace carefully to make sure everything is re-installed correctly.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'll admit I don't understand the sizes of sway bars on these cars.. the regular R/T and SRT have a 16mm rear sway, whereas my STP equipped R/T comes with a 20mm rear sway bar. with the springs on the SRT and STP being close to the same ride height and I can't say but I was told the spring rates are similar why the bar is larger on the STP R/T's........... is there an easy answer Hal?

I don't know why only the SRT remains with the smaller rear bar, unless they're trying to preserve a softer ride characteristic. With the advent of the '12 SRT having the active suspension (shocks front & rear), that is how they accomplish a user selected ride/handling quality.

The STP cars are a bit firmer ride with the 20mm rear bar, but the increase in stiffness it give a much better feel in curves and corners.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'll take a wild guess on sway bar size. Increasing the rear bar size increases oversteer and maybe the engineers felt that with the abundance of power with the SRT and the ability to oversteer with the throttle, that a little bit smaller rear bar provided better balance and was safer at speed and on the track.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I just ordered a rear Eibach swaybar for my 2009 R/T. I've had the Eibach front installed for the past two years, so it'll be interesting to see how the car's handling changes.

I'll report back my findings next week! :)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
As promised here's my findings... My car handles MUCH better with the matching rear Eibach sway bar. Turn in is sharper, less understeer mid corner and the car stays noticeably flatter throughout the corner. I'm kinda surprised as I didn't think I'd notice that big of difference, but I did.

Is adding a larger rear sway bar worth it?

In my case, definitely, as I had already installed the larger front. In retrospect, I should have done both at the same time!

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts