Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what exactly it will have for equipment but guess similar to the current car less the AWD.

There will also be a new V8 engine debut in 19, will it be smaller and be available in the GT? No info on it yet.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
I thought the GT was just a SXT with AWD? If they make it RWD, what's the difference? A Guy

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be surprised if thats all they do, with everything that will be going on for 2019 performance wise something tells me this new GT will be more than a GT badge on an SXT.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
Maybe it's not going to be named a GT, but be a GT type car (Grand Tourer)? I'm having a hard time understanding this. A basically SXT with AWD renamed, I get. Same car, with rear wheel drive is no longer the GT. Guess we'll have to see what this is all about.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
Unless they're going with the GT concept - WB.

Remember this one when 2015 SEMA show had this concept? This was long before the Demon was known of.

One way of spreading out the cost of all the Demon parts over more models to recover the development and production costs.

Attachments

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

Remember this one when 2015 SEMA show had this concept? This was long before the Demon was known of.

One way of spreading out the cost of all the Demon parts over more models to recover the development and production costs.
But the whole shtick with this concept was the AWD too. Guess we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts

Pretty likely senairo I think. And that concept is really close to what is in production now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Pretty likely senairo I think. And that concept is really close to what is in production now.
Maybe they'll add in that new Dodge E-Torque 48-volt 'mild hybrid' system that's in the '19 Rams with the 3.6 Pentastar and maybe the 5.7 Hemi models. Add's another 90 ft/lbs or so torque to the 3.6 and bumps the mileage up even more. That would be nice combo in my book as you'd have that lighter, better handling V6 front end weight with even more torque (which is what the 3.6 needs). Not sure whether the Challengers chassis layout would allow for them to fit it in and utilize it or not though. The video below states it's for low end torque only and the rest of the time, when going at higher speeds it'll re-charge the battery pack. I've also heard there will be two iterations of the E-Torque unit depending on space available in whatever vehicles engine compartment FCA plans to put it in. I do know one thing, FCA really likes to milk out whatever profits they can get in existing vehicle designs by doing smaller changes and freshening things up before going to a new major redesign.

See Here...

YouTube Video on How It Works...

-------------------------------------------------------------

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
If the V6 had 90ftlbs extra torque from a stop, it would have approx. 245ftlbs to max 269ftlbs across the whole torque "curve". That would be awesome. 245ftlbs from 0 rpm would be a huge difference I'd think. A Guy

·
Registered
349 Posts
If the V6 had 90ftlbs extra torque from a stop, it would have approx. 245ftlbs to max 269ftlbs across the whole torque "curve". That would be awesome. 245ftlbs from 0 rpm would be a huge difference I'd think. A Guy
It really would be a whole new driving experience for the cars with the 3.6. Right now hitting the gas from a dead stop without power braking it's fairly "dead" until it hits about 2 grand. From that point on it really gets after it as you're into the meat of the torque curve with that turbine-like 8-speed upshifting in combination with the 3.06 rear end gears in our SXT Plus models. It also would be a great bit of technology to put in place on the 5.7 equipped RT models. They already get decent mpg and can run regular gas, but more mpg and more torque sounds like a "win-win" to me. I can imagine you'd have to go up to some wider stickier tires in those to prevent the tires from going up in smoke at launch with the 5.7 though.

I admire FCA/Dodge thinking outside the box and coming up with stuff like this. Just hope they really do apply it to this proposed 2019 GT model.

---------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
349 Posts
There's another thread where RS hints at what's coming in 2019. I stand by my guess that the 3.6 and 5.7 are going to get the E-Torque System. That was brought up and there hasn't been a straight out "NO" on that scenario yet. That would be the cheapest way to get the biggest bang for the dollars invested for FCA as far a I see for the SXT/Plus and R/T cars.

Wait and see...

--------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
I'm going to predict that the two posts by Slidd are actually about the same thing.

Am I seeing things or does that GT concept have a Scat Pack emblem in the corner window?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I heard some engineers talking at the auto show ... and they are going to make the AWD option available in the SXT model .... ... ...

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I heard some engineers talking at the auto show ... and they are going to make the AWD option available in the SXT model .... ... ...
That answers nothing.

What makes the GT RWD different from SXT and what makes SXT AWD different from GT?

·
Registered
349 Posts
You guys think making a manual v6 would be a better direction?
I'm not sure that would make any improvement performance-wise, but it sure would add some old school flavor to the car as far as the driving experience goes. There's something about rowing the gears yourself that makes you feel like you are part of the car rather than just being along for the ride! The A8 packaged with the high revving V-6 is hard to beat for performance and let's face it, I don't think the demand would be high enough in the showrooms to make it worth their while. I learned to drive on a stick shift and many of my past cars were manuals - either 4 or 5-speeds, but I'm getting to the age where an automatic sure is a lot more "user friendly". Especially with stop and go traffic! :grin2:

Still stubbornly wishing something comes of that E-Torque System. Seems like a no brainer to me for them to implement that. That would be kind of like having your cake and eating it too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
How many people can drive a stick? On this forum it may seem like a big seller, but in real life, the lower on the lineup it is, the less likely the buyer wants a stick. A Guy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts