Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
I was curious to if any of you that have installed rear window louvers, could give me some insight on your experience with them. Mostly winter experiences, how are they in snow, cleaning in snow and car washes etc.. also can add any experience, Doesn’t have to strictly stay to winter ... If so have any ideas , insights on how to best deal with them when snow comes and car washing. All answers greatly appreciated .
Much respect
2017 challenger SXT plus, daily driver..

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
It depends on your brand of louvers. The high end aluminum ones (costing $450) remove easily with thumb screws to clean the window. Watch the following video. (Note- The original louvers, found on the 1970s 'Cuda and Challenger, lifted up to provide access. They were secured with hood pins).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Stay FAR, FAR away from the plastic type rear louvers. At speed, they vibrate horrible, to the point that they loosen the clamps that attach to the glass. I had one on a Mustang, and had to pull over and remove it before it flew off. I followed the directions to allow the metal adhesive clamps to cure for 24 hours before attaching the louver with the hold down screw caps. The clamps were fine, but the plastic louver holes began to widen after just 15 minutes of driving on the highway. I was fortunate that the EBay vendor gave me a full refund...I suspect I was not the first person they had this issue with.

I'd hope the more expensive ones (aluminum?) ones are better.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
I've had plastic louvers in the past, and my advice would be to remove them if you know you are going to get more than an inch of snow. I have aluminum louvers now, and snow is a royal pain. You can't just brush the snow off the slats. The snow will be trapped between the louvers and the window. So, then you have 2 options... Use your rear window defroster to melt the snow, or pull the 2 pins at the bottom of the louvers, lift them up, and brush the snow away from the window.

As far as car washes go, I strictly go to a do it yourself carwash and do everything myself. I can't speak to going to a drive through car wash.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the reply’s..
Now im a little weary of my purchase, I did get plastic ones.. although all reviews on these particular ones were great. I guess I will find out how they hold up. I also could play it safe and just keep them off the car in winter months I guess. I always buy top of the line when it comes to my challenger .. but these reviews were so great, I had to give these ones a shot . Sounds right tho guys .. plastic equals banging around in the wind . Thx for the heads up.
Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
They were cheap to buy because they are cheap to produce which equals poor performance expectancy. Should they blow off the car at speed and hit a car and cause a crash with injuries or worse, you better hope bubba in the cell with you doesn’t think you’re cute. In the old days with metal trim surrounding the glass it was much more reassuring when installing these.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To the ones here who made some sane and helpful comments . Thank you !

I did decide to rid of the abs plastic, and go with the high end quality.
i hope someone else finds this and helps them as much as it did myself.
Much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts