Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,, I'm looking for a set of rear louvers for my 16 Scat Pack.. will those that have them
.or have experience with them please chim in.. And if you can. .please add repp dealers to order from

Thx Scott

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got a set of the less expensive ones ($220 or so) from eBay.

Love' em!
Get comments all the time, and the rear of the car is DARK!

8 studs plates double sticky to the glass, then nice nuts.

These slats are evenly proportioned vertically, and straight horizontally - no gaps or divots for rear brake light.
I was very concerned about brake light blockage, and triple checked, and though the louver, at certain angles appears to block the lens holder, it does not block any LED and no light is blocked.
My (added) rear camera peeks out through the lowest gap (less interior obtrusive than the upper gap).

Most distinct $220 I could have spent in RVA. (I do have a no spoiler car, I think that helps)

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I have the same ones, got mine off ebay. I need to replace them as I had to gorrilla glue one of the "supports". It snapped when removing them to clean the rear window. These make it a real pain to clean the windows. Hinged ones would be better in that aspect.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Agreed, that is a great color, and a great photo. I know its hard to get a picture like that that shows the depth of the paint.

I have the same Louver, no wind issues, looks great in my opinion.

I did have a a problem with it starting to clip my trunk lid in the summer though. I had set it in fall and worked really hard to get a perfect, tight fit, but I suppose by summer the thermal expansion had shifted it down enough to just barely graze the trunk lid. I ended up widening the holes to shift the louver up a bit, and fixed it.

It also scratches very easily. I haven't scratched mine yet, but I know it is a soft plastic and will scratch easily.

Again, overall I totally recommend, just keep this in mind.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
I had the ABS louvers in the past. Great price. Easy to install. I had to repaint them every 2 years because the sun would suck the life out of them and make them a charcoal color(I have no garage). So that isn't a big deal. What I did find annoying was driving on the Highway when there were high winds. The air would get under the louvers and make them rattle against the glass. Again, this wasn't a frequent event, so I'm not deterring you from going that way.

With my latest car, I went old school. I went with the Aluminum louvers that are permanently attached. The down side is the cost and getting up the nerve to drill holes in your car. I love the look. These are made of great quality. Taking the pins out of the bottom brackets allows you to flip them up if you need to clean the window. Trying to get those pins in again isn't all that easy. There is absolutely NO wiggle room there, so you have to have everything lined up just right. This gets easier after the first couple of times because you learn to notice where the pins are in reference to the louvers and brackets.

2008 2018 Dodge Challenger & Hellcat Retro Rear ALUMINUM Window Louver

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2018 Challenger T/A 392, and wanted to complete the retro look. Purchased aluminum louvers from Dale's Cuda Shop. My personal experience was, installation of these things IS NOT a DIY project.

In part, because of how flexible the roof is. With a black roof, any, and I mean any imperfection can be seen from a mile away. Second, it seemed regardless of how I positioned them, tightened the brackets, adjusted the brackets, etc., I could not get them to mount correctly. I ended up taking the car to a very reputable custom shop and having them installed. Part of the installation was using heavy-duty automotive hardware (screws, nuts, bolts) and fabricating bracing into the top of the car. And of course, cleaning up the mess I had made. :icon_smile:

The end result is flawless. No dents, dimples, or wrinkles in the roof, and that vintage look I was hoping for. I have read articles where seasoned "paint and body" guys commented on the same challenges. If you go with the DCS solution, it is second to none in fit, finish, and overall quality...you can't go wrong there. I am thrilled with how they look, and absolutely no rattles.

Just be forewarned that this project is not for the faint of heart, especially when you start drilling holes into your Challenger.

Cleaning the rear glass can be a chore. If mounted properly, the pins are snug to eliminate any risk of rattle. I try to make it a 2-person job when i can. I also use my leaf blower to keep the rear window clean of any surface dirt, pollen, and "stuff" between lifting of the louvers. But I'm OK with having to do the extra steps given how it turned out.

The car looks awesome IMHO, and that makes it all worth while.

Best of luck!!

:icon_cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Rbarnes - I’m considering a set of louvers from DCS. I noticed in one of your pic that the whole roof appears to be unwrapped. Is it necessary to unwrap the roof or can the holes be drilled through the wrap? Just trying to get a full understanding of everything before I commit. One thing for sure is that I I do press with this mod, I will follow your advice for the professional install as it’s way past my abilities to do right. Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a 2018 Challenger T/A 392, and wanted to complete the retro look. Purchased aluminum louvers from Dale's Cuda Shop. My personal experience was, installation of these things IS NOT a DIY project.

In part, because of how flexible the roof is. With a black roof, any, and I mean any imperfection can be seen from a mile away. Second, it seemed regardless of how I positioned them, tightened the brackets, adjusted the brackets, etc., I could not get them to mount correctly. I ended up taking the car to a very reputable custom shop and having them installed. Part of the installation was using heavy-duty automotive hardware (screws, nuts, bolts) and fabricating bracing into the top of the car. And of course, cleaning up the mess I had made. :icon_smile:

The end result is flawless. No dents, dimples, or wrinkles in the roof, and that vintage look I was hoping for. I have read articles where seasoned "paint and body" guys commented on the same challenges. If you go with the DCS solution, it is second to none in fit, finish, and overall quality...you can't go wrong there. I am thrilled with how they look, and absolutely no rattles.

Just be forewarned that this project is not for the faint of heart, especially when you start drilling holes into your Challenger.

Cleaning the rear glass can be a chore. If mounted properly, the pins are snug to eliminate any risk of rattle. I try to make it a 2-person job when i can. I also use my leaf blower to keep the rear window clean of any surface dirt, pollen, and "stuff" between lifting of the louvers. But I'm OK with having to do the extra steps given how it turned out.

The car looks awesome IMHO, and that makes it all worth while.

Best of luck!!

:icon_cheers:

They butchered a high strength steel, structural component of your car.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I also went with the Dales metal louvers. They are expensive, but high quality. I originally bought the 3M stick on hinges because I also didn't want to drill my roof. These cars are beer can thin on sheet metal and still weigh 4000 pounds. I ended up drilling and installing what are called "well nuts" to hold the hinges on. I also used rubber "bondo" squeegies cut to size, as a shim to protect the roof. I am a former body shop guy and installed these myself. It was scary. I have hit about 140 mph and not one rattle. I use a Vac-Blo to blow the water out of the rear window. Very seldom do I pull the pins to clean the window. When I open the trunk....it barely clears the deck lid. If I ever forget to put the pins back in and open the trunk, I will be repainting the deck lid. I also installed old school rear spoiler to complete my old school look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Were they the plastic ones or aluminum ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts