Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I have a question about my car. Its a '17 HellCat Challenger with 7700 miles. Car has new factory OEM size Pirelli's. I just came back from a drive and noticed the rear of the car was doing some crazy stuff. It almost feels like the car has a "locker" rearend in it. Depending on the speed, gear or left/right turn and slightly accelerate, then shift, the ass-end of the car has movement like its shifting from side to side at times or moves towards switching into another lane without notice! WTF! No way in hell is that normal, so I have something going on back there. I didn't notice it on the test drive or the drive home when I purchased it last week. Nothing on the car appears to show any signs of accident, damage history and the drive-train or rear-end doesn't make any noises, etc. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
If it is not tire pressure, check the lug nuts then bushings at links/control arms/cradle. If you have access to a gopro, slap it under the car so you can video what happens...or have a friend follow you in another car and have them watch the rear wheels to see if they are doing anything funny. BTW do you have limited slip diff?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hello. I have a question about my car. Its a '17 HellCat Challenger with 7700 miles. Car has new Pirelli's. I just came back from a drive and noticed the rear of the car was doing some crazy stuff. It almost feels like the car has a "locker" rearend in it. Depending on the speed, gear or left/right turn and slightly accelerate, then shift, the ass-end of the car has movement like its shifting from side to side at times or moves towards switching into another lane without notice! WTF! No way in hell is that normal, so I have something going on back there. I didn't notice it on the test drive or the drive home when I purchased it last week. Nothing on the car appears to show any signs of accident, damage history and the drive-train or rear-end doesn't make any noises, etc. Your thoughts?
Was it raining?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
It is a Hellcat. 707hp. Maybe you need to calibrate your right foot?

The Hellcat requires one be very judicious with throttle input or the rear tires will break loose and more readily that lesser cars.

Check tire inflation pressures. Cold. I believe the proper inflation pressure is 32psi. Try to get the tires inflated to the same pressure as close to possible.

Check the tires. Be sure they are the "right" tires for the car. The right tires for high performance cars means more than just black, round and the right size. Tread wear rating, speed rating, load rating, etc., all play a role in ensuring the tire can withstand what the car subjects it too and that the tire delivers the desired road experience. Not only regarding just grip, but stability, resistance to uneven road surfaces, acceptable noise levels, ride harshness, etc.

If the tires are unidirectional be sure they are all mounted in the right direction.

Just to be safe/thorough check the lug nuts are properly torqued.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I know it’s a HellCat and my foot and hands have matted much much more HP in a street car than this car lays down. That isn’t the problem at all. And yes, I respect the HP/TQ this car puts down.

I did check tire pressures. They’re at 39 PSI all the way around in each corner.

Took it back to dealer this morning and met with the service advisor. Their Tech manager went with me in a test drive and it repeated multiple times on the test drive. He’s seen the problem before. Taking it back on Monday to get the situation looked at on a lift and leaving it there for a couple other things to be addressed I’ve since noticed. They’re providing me a rental car.

Since my return from the dealership I’ll let the tires get cold again, then drop the pressure to 32 PSI. That way I can see if that is the cause or at least eliminate it from the entire list. I’ll report back. I JUST WANT IT RIDING RIGHT!!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I know it’s a HellCat and my foot and hands have matted much much more HP in a street car than this car lays down. That isn’t the problem at all. And yes, I respect the HP/TQ this car puts down.

I did check tire pressures. They’re at 39 PSI all the way around in each corner.

Took it back to dealer this morning and met with the service advisor. Their Tech manager went with me in a test drive and it repeated multiple times on the test drive. He’s seen the problem before. Taking it back on Monday to get the situation looked at on a lift and leaving it there for a couple other things to be addressed I’ve since noticed. They’re providing me a rental car.

Ok. It ain't your lead foot.

39psi is too much air pressure based on what is called for with my 2018 Hellcat. But could that be what accounts for the behavior? Can't say.

You are doing the right thing: Having the car checked out to get to the bottom of what's going on, causing the behavior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it straightened out. It was not the tires. It was the bushings in the cradle and lower control arms. Tech got it figured out, and also found a leaking half-shaft and replaced under warranty. Furthermore, whomever owned this car did not do such a great job at keeping the wheel and brake areas very clean. The brake dust was staining all 4 calipers - the dealership replaced them with 4 new calipers at no cost (warranty). Thanks for the help gents. I have a happy non-swerving rearend!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not to be an ahole here but 7700 miles, New tires, and all the other stuff that you listed tells me that someone abused that car badly.
I am glad to hear that the dealer took care of everything for you under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not to be an ahole here but 7700 miles, New tires, and all the other stuff that you listed tells me that someone abused that car badly.
I am glad to hear that the dealer took care of everything for you under warranty.
I don't see it as you being an a-hole. Its a HellCat I bought "used" as a 2nd owner. I would suspect it was driven hard - THEY ALL ARE; hell that's what its made for! Buying used, my only concern was that it had never been in an accident, etc. Being driven hard or not being cleaned properly was not of concern, and if it was I would not have bought the car. As far as the calipers go, I noticed that immediately and addressed it at the dealership before purchasing. It was something that was going to get taken care of so I wasn't worried. Mechanically, its a very sounds car, and I'm covered under bumper to bumper warranty until 2024. I liked the fact that the tech was looking for other issues I was not complaining about or aware of and addressed them. I'm going to put the car on a lift and go front to rear and if things don't look right its going right back to the dealer. If things were prematurely worn/abused under the previous owner they'll eventually surface and be covered under the warranty. Car looks great otherwise - no paint/body damage. I suspect it might've been auto-crossed from time to time. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
FLYIN4D
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing