Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has been awhile and my 6.1 has been limping when I have taken it out over the last 18 months. First I was told top end issues and once life gave me the opportunity to repair it, we discovered it was actually in the btm end and when your paying someone for bench time its best to replace the whole damn thing. Dealer gave me a great deal with 3-yr 100K warranty. Kept it parked and saved for the Inertia heads and cam. Figured why not, especially if its going to be torn down. Long story short....... I got a call from my guys telling me they were having a issue loading the tune today so I went up and spent the time getting it right, loading and then pushing the start button for the first time. I sat there and felt the car for the first time from within the cabin. It was awesome and I so can not wait to get it back this week, log some miles and tweek the tune. This car has only had 120k miles put on it before it was parked. I can not believe how much I missed the drive and feel of this awesome machine. The majority of the miles placed on this car first time around were celebration miles driven also by many mopar friends all over the southeast. How I have missed the fellowship and how I am excited to log many new experiences. I will try to add updates in regards to the performance change I notice with the Inertia products. Stuu has already proven to be a great resource. Oh yea we found there was ring damage and metal shavings in the pan which explains the noise at 2k rpm's. Pics in a bit. :eek:

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So this happened. I purposely stayed instate close to home today because I knew I would get the call to pick it up. After 4 hours I sent my contact a text. He then replied with a "give me a call when you can". Seems during a soft break-in, the btm end begins making noise once shifting into 4th. Pulled the pan and shavings were present again. Ordered another build yesterday and thankfully they are not now on backorder.
Damn it man......

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here we are March 26th. After a few return trips my 6.1 is back and damn it's nice. I chose to work with a separate source for the tune. Going to do some data logging, hoping for this weekend. I can seriously say it is not the same as it was prior. Sounds very nice with a little shake in its idle. Seriously climbs quick after second is stretched out. Hope the tune tweaking helps a tad more with idle, throttle response and a few other minors.
A lot of refreshing to do and it's going to be fun not depending on it as a daily driver. Next up new rubber in the front, speed balance, z bracket mount for the catch can and a nice long road trip.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reorder new block+ and replace. It is going well, just finishing up after some rather unfocused efforts by the dealer.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So replaced the rubber up front, speed balance and still at high speeds the front end (body & hood) shook like crazy. The spoiler had tire burn from pushing against the 90 mph wheel so that left me thinking there was nothing that held or supported the front body panels and plastics together. Sure enough, I felt under the car and the front air splitter and belly pan never were put back. This explains why the hood wanted to explode at high speeds.
The point I want to make here is that I went to the dealership, we walked behind the shop and there were a pile of least 20 air splitters from previous customers... just wow, after chasing the issue down by my self that was the issue after having them order a new one.
My journey is complete as far as the rebuild, it drives beautifully.
87mm ported tb on order, intake work next.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a reputable speed shop with dyno. Massive experience, so I'm giving it one final round.
#knowwhentosaywhen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts