Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up challenger fans. Any comments or advice throughout this build would be ok with me as I am no expert. So last week I won a 2019 392 challenger scat pack ta in plum crazy with 7,000 miles for 17,000 salvage Colorado title. I will include prices for people who are maybe interested in doing something similar. I hope to stay well under 25,000 by doing all the work myself. So the back story of why I chose to do this is pretty simple. I have always dreamed of restoring an old muscle car. After starting on a smaller scale with some old Honda motorcycles I quickly realized that would be a much bigger project than I am ready for. However my dream did not die I just had to think outside the box and two things happened that made me chose this specific car. 1 my neighbor is a quality shade tree mechanic and two years ago I was helping him when a mint 70s something plum crazy ta 440 challenger pulled in the driveway. Now I once met miss universe on an elevator in Las Vegas and that woman and that car completely left me with feelings I can’t quite describe. 2 I watched the debut of the dodge demon and dodge really wasn’t on my radar after seeing their vehicles fall apart through the 90s and 2000s but after watching that launch I didn’t know what dodge was doing but I liked ot...a lot. So here I am. Going to pick the car up this week and I am already completely in love with it. I will continue to post my progress.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm a professional collision tech. At $17,000 you over paid. At he end of the day you will have more money into that than just buying a good used one with a clean title.

Do you have access to a 3 dimensional computerized measuring system and squeeze type resistance spot welder?

The way I see it is that car, correctly repaired, with a salvage title is worth no more than $25,000 if you get lucky.

I have access to all the needed equipment, parts discounts, and my labor would be free and I wouldn't bother with that car. My suggestion is to sell it and cut your losses.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
930 Posts
Looks like a good bit of work ahead of you. What was MSRP on it? How loaded is it?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thank you for the encouragement 😂. I understand where you are coming from oraganscat but this is a vehicle I will pass down to my kids and enjoy my entire life and is the exact one I wanted. I will be patient and wait for used parts to come up for sale and even if the total is 30,000 grand I don’t really care because at the end of the day I love this kind of work and I will have a car I will be proud of and you can’t buy that.

·
Super Moderator
14,699 Posts
As @OregonScat mentioned, there's a number of tools / equipment to measure the body / floor to make sure everything is dimensionally correct. Its down to millimeters and crosswise / diagonal measurements as well.

Odds are there's a reason a $46K car new was totalled - repairs and parts exceed better than 50% of the value.

If the subframe rails (this is where the k member bolts to body) are bent / distorted, everything else is off.

So from a minimum standpoint, there's new dash (airbags deployed), steering wheel airbag, potentially the windshield (they often crack from airbag deployment or the collision forces),
k member
A/C system components
possibly damage to front engine components (crankshaft, front timing cover, possibly oil pan which is bolted to front timing cover and both are alloy aluminum)
wire harnesses (engine and front body / fascia harnesses)
headlight units
upper and lower radiator supports
cooling module
and unknown is if firewall / bulkhead isn't damaged as well (engine could have pushed into firewall)

so its that analogy of the deeper you go, the more you find

That T/A 392 was fairly light on options, Sound Group II, hood pins and the SRT Perf spoiler

·
Registered
759 Posts
You have a lot of work ahead of you, but it could potentially be rewarding...... Since you plan to keep the vehicle don't worry about the value, just have fun building it with your own labor..... You can find lots of good deals out there especially at the salvage yard.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I was able to find the sticker for it online View attachment 980232
As @OregonScat mentioned, there's a number of tools / equipment to measure the body / floor to make sure everything is dimensionally correct. Its down to millimeters and crosswise / diagonal measurements as well.

Odds are there's a reason a $46K car new was totalled - repairs and parts exceed better than 50% of the value.

If the subframe rails (this is where the k member bolts to body) are bent / distorted, everything else is off.

So from a minimum standpoint, there's new dash (airbags deployed), steering wheel airbag, potentially the windshield (they often crack from airbag deployment or the collision forces),
k member
A/C system components
possibly damage to front engine components (crankshaft, front timing cover, possibly oil pan which is bolted to front timing cover and both are alloy aluminum)
wire harnesses (engine and front body / fascia harnesses)
headlight units
upper and lower radiator supports
cooling module
and unknown is if firewall / bulkhead isn't damaged as well (engine could have pushed into firewall)

so its that analogy of the deeper you go, the more you find

That T/A 392 was fairly light on options, Sound Group II, hood pins and the SRT Perf spoiler
You have a lot of work ahead of you, but it could potentially be rewarding...... Since you plan to keep the vehicle don't worry about the value, just have fun building it with your own labor..... You can find lots of good deals out there especially at the salvage yard.

Thank you!! I have been researching salvage yards in the Denver area and haven’t found much for late model challengers but I will have to be patient and hopefully I can come across someone parting one out

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished corn harvest yesterday so this morning I drove to Denver to pick it up. It was a very exciting experience going to Coparts south location. Thousands of cars with pay loaders running every which way really a fun experience. First thing on my list is to remodel my bathroom and then clean and organize my garage. Then I will inspect the car for any structural or mechanical damage. And then maybe figure out what pieces I am missing before disassembley because there are a lot of broken plastic pieces and wires going everywhere

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found a couple break down diagrams but they include parts for all the challenger models not just for my specific model and since I don’t have pieces to reference I was wondering if there was any recourses out there to help me figure out what I need for my year make and model?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And like @OregonScat and @Hal H said I did over pay but I am out to prove I can do this on a very limited budget without high tech gadgets and have a brand new dream car that looks and runs beautifully and have a blast doing it. I have done as much research as I can and have enough experience to feel confident to tackle this but I would like some help which is half the reason I am posting on this site.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You would be surprised how many parts crossover form previous years and models. I mean everything off a v6 now adays is damn near what the hellcats come with (body and appearance wise)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have seen a lot of Charger parts for sale on Craigslist and zero challenger parts and was wondering if some of their parts wouldn’t work on a challenger I just don’t know enough to go buy parts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have seen a lot of Charger parts for sale on Craigslist and zero challenger parts and was wondering if some of their parts wouldn’t work on a challenger.
Im pretty sure when it comes to the suspension, subframe, and things of that sort they pretty much cross over. But dont take my word for it, do some research lol. You’de be surprised how manu similarities they have to a 03-06 mercedes e classe too

Goodluck man

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Would you like to see the progress of my build? The experts just tell me I’m an idiot for trying.
Brotha i can almost guarantee the guys that posted above me just have your wallets best interest in mind.

Could you have bought a running R/T and built the crap out of it for the same price as your resto? Sure
Did you? No . Its going to take a lot of time and patience to find parts cheap but you just need that....patience.

Should i have dumped almost $10k in a car’s suspension, handling, exhaust, brakes, and wheels to not make a single horse power more than stock?
No
Is she fun as hell and can chase down bimmers and audis in the canyon?
Hell yeah

More power to ya man

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Brotha i can almost guarantee the guys that posted above me just have your wallets best interest in mind.

Could you have bought a running R/T and built the crap out of it for the same price as your resto? Sure
Did you? No . Its going to take a lot of time and patience to find parts cheap but you just need that....patience.

Should i have dumped almost $10k in a car’s suspension, handling, exhaust, brakes, and wheels to not make a single horse power more than stock?
No
Is she fun as hell and can chase down bimmers and audis in the canyon?
Hell yeah

More power to ya man
I like you although I disagree being able to buy a running R/T for 17,000 grand at least not around here. This really is the car of my dreams that I will keep until I die and ruin many back tires and drag race and enter in car shows for a fraction of what I could buy one just like it for while (although it’s darn impossible to find one in a ta plum crazy configuration) having my blood sweat and tears into. I’m going to make these experts look like fools after I’m done since they have all the answers except when you have a question. No I can’t split atoms or have a flux capacitor but I can get it done regardless.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
  1. U
  2. Always amazes me how little people value their own time and money, then come seeking validation online.
  3. I’m amazed by the lack of knowledge and guidance and the overwhelming judgement and willingness people have of letting these cars get parted out instead of being fixed up to their original glory. Obviously this site is a joke because i asked a simple question about finding a breakdown diagram of my challenger and it has been nothing but criticism of me spending my money wrong by buying a wrecked challenger. But please tell me @praiseV8 how much did you spend on your 392? Why are you lecturing me about fixing one up for validation when I joined a forum to get answers and inspire people to do something that maybe they always wanted to do but thought was unattainable. You are the one that clearly needs validation. Sorry @trippytro but I’m going somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 401 Posts