Dodge Challenger Forum banner

201 - 220 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
I fail to see how having a loan bars someone from possessing or obtaining financial knowledge.

Just because I don't own the air I breathe doesn't mean I can't tell you to that smelling your own farts isn't a good long term investment.
Come on man everyone knows they ONLY way to appreciate a car and know it’s true value is if you buy it completely wrecked and put it back together.

·
Registered
741 Posts
He's one of your "builder guys" so, does that count? I thought it was just us "buyer guys" who didn't want you to build it.
Is a “builder guy” someone who builds their own car from scratch down to the engineering? Or is it someone who buys a mass produced vehicle and puts it back together using a schematic with mass produced parts? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A builder understands that problems arise in doing jobs. A buyer pays to have services done. Tyler bought a car understanding he was going to fix it when the issues showed up. Look at his headlights. He tackled them. Took it apart. Figured problem out and kept going. Same with the sway bar bushing. You dont have to build a car up from the ground to be a builder. Not all builders do everything. Machine shops and frame machine equipment is expensive. Not worth buying to do one or two jobs.
Buyers pay to have majority of work done. With the way the cars are built today from the manufacturer most think its hard or impossible to do simple tasks. A small hand held scanner and understanding goes a long ways. Anyone can buy a broken car and fix it. Youve got to have the drive, willingness to learn and patience. Some guys are better at bodywork while some are better at mechanical, electrical or diagnostics. But usually if you can do one part you understand and respect the other sides of it also. Buyers dont. They have no interest in any of it. They would rather spend $$ then even try it. Shops will screw you if your not careful. They know whos got knowledge of cars and who dont just by talking to them.
I hope your answer is in there somewhere. Hell i wish some would try more on their cars. Start small,build your confidence and ask lots of questions. More you learn the more youll appreciate your own car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,425 Posts
Most of us, myself included, would be incapable of fixing a salvaged car, or at least making it derivable

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,870 Posts
Most of us, myself included, would be incapable of fixing a salvaged car, or at least making it derivable

A Guy
I completely agree, my hats off to the OP for taking on this project! It must feel immensely satisfying knowing he brought this beautiful car back to life again. Anyone can go and buy a car, but how many can do all of this repair work, on faith that it will be okay? Awesome job sir.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #208 (Edited)
  • I definitely don’t have a problem with people taking out a loan to buy a car but cars aren’t good investments anyway you look at it unless you own a dealership. @Chllngrswpr we’ve had this discussion before. No sense beating a dead horse. I am trying to figure out how to charge the ac. Im kind of just gonna wing it. I know it needs oil and to be vacuumed and then you hook up some gauges to it. Do you add oil before you vacuum it out? Would you know how much to add?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wish I caught you before you actually started working on it, would’ve said start a YouTube channel and shoot the whole thing. With some flashy work you might make your money back in YouTube bling

·
Registered
741 Posts

A Guy
Agreed and most of us wouldn’t want to take on the headache. I was merely mocking the day long arrogance

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
A builder understands that problems arise in doing jobs. A buyer pays to have services done. Tyler bought a car understanding he was going to fix it when the issues showed up. Look at his headlights. He tackled them. Took it apart. Figured problem out and kept going. Same with the sway bar bushing. You dont have to build a car up from the ground to be a builder. Not all builders do everything. Machine shops and frame machine equipment is expensive. Not worth buying to do one or two jobs.
Buyers pay to have majority of work done. With the way the cars are built today from the manufacturer most think its hard or impossible to do simple tasks. A small hand held scanner and understanding goes a long ways. Anyone can buy a broken car and fix it. Youve got to have the drive, willingness to learn and patience. Some guys are better at bodywork while some are better at mechanical, electrical or diagnostics. But usually if you can do one part you understand and respect the other sides of it also. Buyers dont. They have no interest in any of it. They would rather spend $$ then even try it. Shops will screw you if your not careful. They know whos got knowledge of cars and who dont just by talking to them.
I hope your answer is in there somewhere. Hell i wish some would try more on their cars. Start small,build your confidence and ask lots of questions. More you learn the more youll appreciate your own car.
At this point all you're doing is stroking your willy.

This isn't "builder" vs. "buyer". It's "people willing to drive around a wreck" and those who aren't.

·
Registered
200 Posts
All salvage cars are not body damage. Theft recovery,usually engines missing, vandalism,stripped. So many things make them salvage. Again comes back to information.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Vacuum ac first. Then add oil. Each manufacturer requires different amounts and types. Would need to look at the spec sheet under the hood for type and quantity. Then charge using same spec sheet. Shows min and max limits. If you cant weigh how much freon goes in, run the high side gauge (red) up to 225 with rad fan on high. Usually will put you in the right ballpark. If its cold out only run it up to 200. Heat and humidity will change the pressure. Here its hot most of the time. Forget some of yall are in the cold.

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
I’m drooling 🤤. Did it come from the factory with a black hood!
Hellcats have the satin black hood as OEM option from '15 to present

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
So I have two things left to make it roadworthy and pass an inspection. Put the windshield in and paint the trunk lid. I am not 100% satisfied with my body work but my grandpa has always said no more than a credit card thickness of body filler and will stick with it. It the ac needs charged unfortunately it is 134 and can’t get my hands on the equipment to do it. There is a service airbag warning so it will need to go to a dealership to find out the problem. Still needs hood pins, a left stripe on the fender a bit of polishing and a few odds and ends but am actually pretty close to finishing. I don’t want it to end but I want to drive this really bad View attachment 984832
View attachment 984833
your a/c refrigerant is 1234yf that is used in that year

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
I was wondering if it was different can you still use any of the 134 equipment?
found this link - one of the FAQ is about equipment used for 1234yf vs. 134a

you might have someone take care of the refrigerant since its unlikely you'll need to deal with that anytime soon after you get that T/A 392 finished up

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
found this link - one of the FAQ is about equipment used for 1234yf vs. 134a

you might have someone take care of the refrigerant since its unlikely you'll need to deal with that anytime soon after you get that T/A 392 finished up
Ya I am starting to learn to pick my battles

201 - 220 of 428 Posts