Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a dash camera/recorder that they really like? Please tell me what kind and model it is and where you got it. I'm hoping for a high res super clear picture and a recorder that starts over when it runs out of space - and one that is reliable. I'd like maintenance free and runs when the car is on - stops when it's off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Itronics ITB100HD. Got it on ebay from korea for $225. Has parking mode and uses regular SD cards up to 32gig

Go on www.dashcamtalk.com for an extensive review of just about all of them

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
1. Grab a current, decent-spec used Android phone that can record 720p video (I use a Samsung Galaxy S2)
2. Download Dailyroads Voyager from Google Play
3. Configure to use as a dashcam with the SD card of your choice, with one-touch start / stop; uses subtitle files with your speed, GPS coordinates, and date/time.
optional 4. Encrypt / lock the phone if you are worried about someone stealing your crazy driving antic videos

Everyone seems to have a spare smartphone around these days. Depending on the quality of the phone's camera and the card you buy (I recommend class 10 for 720p video or higher), you basically get a week's worth of video that endlessly overwrites, in HQ, that you can dump to your PC whenever you feel like it. I either take mine out of the car or lock it in the glovebox; I never leave it mounted when I'm not in the car.

Plus, it's an emergency backup phone.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Check out the G1W-C car DVR. It has a capacitor instead of battery to save the video when it shuts off. It will save the date settings for about a week if you don't use it. Got it from foxoffer.com for $66.
I have a DVR027 knock off that is giving me problems turning on even with new batteries. Its is heading for the junk drawer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bumping this up. I was using the DOD tech S1 Car cam (around 50$) which gave me average results. You can see a few test videos here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EmHXW2dus

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WCpeLq2ig

I've just ordered a Transcend DrivePro 200 for daily duty. It comes with a 16 Gig card, is Wi-Fi accessible for downloading videos etc.

My biggest gripe is that it comes with an Adhesive mounting only (suction cup mount is an additional 10$). So I wanted to query Challenger owners, where have you mounted your DVR?

Pictures would be welcome. I would like it to be discreet, maybe to the right of the Rear View mirror, but yeah, would like to see what locations are being used for installation.

TIA!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I pretty much gave up because there are just too many options. I'm on a budget so wanted one for $100 or less but for that money, I wanted one with auto start/stop, auto overwrite, a cord long enough to wire it down the a-pillar, and (probably most important) decent night video. It's just hard to decide when there are so many options and I feel like whatever I get, I'll be underwhelmed.

Mike

·
Registered
758 Posts
I pretty much gave up because there are just too many options. I'm on a budget so wanted one for $100 or less but for that money, I wanted one with auto start/stop, auto overwrite, a cord long enough to wire it down the a-pillar, and (probably most important) decent night video. It's just hard to decide when there are so many options and I feel like whatever I get, I'll be underwhelmed.

Mike

One of these days, perhaps we'll meet in person, and I can show you the Zalman (yes, the same folks that make computer parts) DVR I purchased, after doing a couple weeks of online research.

Reactions: ajturbo

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
The Black Box G1W

I've been using this camera for two years. I have it mounted at the top of the windshield with the suction cup and hard wired down the passenger side pillar and under the dash to the wiring for the aux power receptacle. It auto starts when ignition is switched on and shuts down when ignition is switched off. It uses a 32 gig card.

Amazon.com : Black Box G1W Original Dashboard Dash Cam - Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Video Recorder with G-Sensor Night Vision Motion Detection WDR 140° Wide Angle 4X Zoom - NT96650 + AR0330 : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

·
Registered
167 Posts
The only issue with the G1W is getting a genuine piece, there are a number of rip offs in the market here. I didn't know Zalman made DVRs. Googling now :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
BlackVue is one of the best in the market. I've seen the 550 in a friend's car. Saved him trouble from the cops several times. Definitely a worthy investment, if your vehicle will not be experiencing high interior temperatures when parked.

Here in the ME, interior temps can exceed 65 degrees C easily, so the BV was out of the running.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I had about decided on the Mini 0801 but the reviews on all of these are such a mixed bag that I've succeeded in not much more than giving myself a headache (again). Your Garmin one looks interesting. I definitely want one with built-in GPS. Can you tell me: does the above Garmin allow you to default the screen to "off" so when you start the car, the screen isn't on? I don't want the screen on, particularly at night. I just want to install it and forget it. Don't even want to know it's there... until I need it. ;)

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the Mobius ActionCam with wide angle lens https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/

It's about the size of a tic-tac box. Mounted via velcro on the top left side of the interior rear view mirror. Unless you look carefully, it is unnoticeable.

Ran the power wire into the roof liner, down the A-pillar, under the glove box and plugged into the dash charger. Excellent quality video, loop recorded on micro SD card. Various features are programmable via your pc or lap top (https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/features/).

Just over $100. Have had it for almost two years, works flawlessly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a Street Guardian SGZC12SG (previously known as Panorama X1) in my leased vehicle. I bought two power cords for it and have a second mount in my other leased vehicle so I can transfer it back and forth depending on which car I am in that day. The video both day and night is very good. Has GPS, park mode, motion sensor and most all the bells and whistles. In both cars the wire is run in the headliner and down the A piller under the floor mat on the passenger side and to the cigarette lighter socket in the center console. Its fairly large though because it has a screen. This is a $200 setup.

However, for the Challenger, I have 2 Street Guardian SGZC12RC. One in front and one in the back window. These are remote lens cams. The cam itself is about the size of a chap stick. Both of the screens are in the glove box on the upper shelf. These are hard wired to the fuse box and battery. So the installation is stealth where you barely notice the cams if you are looking for them and there are no wires or screens at all visible in the car unless you open the glove box. These cams are very good to excellent resolution and clarity both day and night. Although they do not have GPS, they have all the other bells and whistles including park mode. With the hard wire kit, etc. this is about a $400 setup.

Not cheap and there are likely to be other cheaper alternatives out there that do pretty much the same thing. But if you research dash cams you will find a plethora of issues with the cheaper generic cams and cams from no name companies. And they have no support. One of the main reasons I went with the Street Guardian products is because they have a very good reputation and dealers offer good support. The company on DashCamTalk.com that sells these is great to work with (Pier28).

Reactions: MrMac and blueiron

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use the Cobra CDR 840 in my truck and really like it. I had a few issues with the first one I bought but Cobra was great about sending me a new one. I like the features and it shows GPS coordinates during playback along with other info. Great buy for $100

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,369 Posts
I don't want to mess with the headliner, cords running down pillars, etc...

...can any of these (or other models) be hardwired into the rear view mirror power source?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Well, I finally took the plunge last night and ordered a KDLINKS X1 from Amazon. It was only a few bucks cheaper than the Garmin 20 which I also liked, but the X1 comes with a 13 foot cable that is already long enough to route around the a-pillar to power. The Garmin comes with a 5 foot cable that isn't long enough and they use a non-standard cable that costs $25 from Garmin for a longer one, increasing the expense further for the Garmin. The X1 arrives tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. It's a little bigger than I'd like, but hopefully I can find a spot that's out of the way.

Mike

1 - 20 of 36 Posts