Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a supercharger on my 392. I know you have to put in Forged parts like Pistons and Rods. But what else is needed?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts
Looking to get a supercharger on my 392. I know you have to put in Forged parts like Pistons and Rods. But what else is needed?
Thanks!
If you buy a super charger kit likely the kit will cover what other mods are necessary to get the max. benefit of the super charger and keep the engine together.

A supercharged engine will probably need a tune. The tune might also come with some recommendations.

A super charger means the engine gets more air. More air means more fuel is needed. You have to be sure the fuel pump can keep the engine fueled at WOT. The fuel lines may need to be bigger. The fuel filter likewise. The injectors will need to be bigger.

How the mass of air is measured may need changing. N/A mass air flow meters can be overworked in dealing with the increase in air that is measured. The kit might come with an alternative air mass measurement system, too.

More air and more fuel mean more exhaust. The exhaust system will need to be reviewed to make sure it is up to the task.

More air and more fuel mean more heat. Thus a bigger radiator might be a good idea. An oil cooler if one is not already fitted.

The drive train needs to be considered. While the stock clutch/transmission have some margin at some point depending upon how much boost you dial up you might find the drive train needs attention.

Consider all of the effort to get the engine to produce more power means more speed. The brakes may need upgrading.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks!

Tripmine ...there a lot of 392's out there with blowers up to 7 psi....and Nitrous up to 100 shot on stock motors.

Beyond that...forged pistons and a bigger cam are in order. Of course....depending on the cam.....u might need a torque converter. And depending on how far you go....the drive train will begin to show you it's weak points.

The KILLER for 392's is detonation!! AVOID at all costs! Data Log big time! Keep it to STK of .5 or less on the shifts and you will be fine.....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You at least want a set of forged pistons and make sure the rings are properly gapped for boost. Crank should already be forged. A new cam may be in order and for sure want to plan on a cracked PCM and custom dyno tune. I would also do a 180 or 160 degree t'stat. since you're doing some tuning. Assuming you have an A8, the HP70 trans. should take up to around 600WHP, after that, all bets are off for needing to transition up to the HP90. A high stall torque converter is a good option if your budget can swing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cam for sure but one other thing is a ARP stud head kit. Going to be putting all that extra power in there we want to hold everything toegther.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
As you can see there are lots of supporting mods to consider..... One that is often over looked is the map sensor, I'd try to pick up a decent 2 or 3 bar map sensor so that your tuner can properly set fueling when in higher boost levels than the stock PCM typically sees. The real issue to consider is how much power will you be satisfied with, that will determine how far your supporting mods need to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts