Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am taking the 20's off for winter and going to 18's only because i have brand new Blizzaks and figured cheaper to by wheels for the Blizzaks vs buying Blizzaks for the 20's.

In my search for 18 inch steel wheels or something inexpensive i opted for 18 inch Vision Legend 5 gloss black wheels because they were really not much more then the steel wheels. I will run the 235/55/18 Blizzaks on them.

My question is when the dreaded winter is over and if i decide to stay with the 18's what size tire would give me the best old school look with more rubber. I thought of 255/55/18 to keep the width and sidewall higher to make up for the loss in going from 20 inch wheel to an 18 inch wheel. I really dont want to stagger though. I would love to get RWL tires but unless you running 15's your out of luck. I've seen the paints and decals to create your own RWL but am skeptical about that. And definitely not paying huge money for the old school deep dish Centerlines. The Vision Legens 5 has that Crager wheel look somewhat. Thought of even going to a Chrome Vision 5 legend come spring and throw in a few chrome Challenger Badges not to be overdone.

i posted pic of current setup, the winter wheels (black) and the possible chrome wheels.

Thoughts?

btw is there a way to tell if the current wheels are OEM or aftermarket? Just bought the car.
2009 RT with 60k miles.

Thank you

update*
I put the Vision Legend 5’s on my 235 55 18 Blizzaks for winter...heres the before and after. Bring on the snow...debating on soringtime returning to original setup or go with the same vision legend wheel in all chrome and 20’s but maybe 255 55 20 if they fit. Appreciate any feedback or tips.

·
Super Moderator
15,697 Posts
If you want the "old school" look, with a wider sidewall, get a 255/60-18 tire. It, however will throw your speedometer off by 4.1%. At 60 mph, your speedometer will be showing 62 mph. If you want your speedometer to be more accurate, install a 255/45-18 tire. At 60 mph, your speedometer will read 60.76 mph.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts
btw is there a way to tell if the current wheels are OEM or aftermarket? Just bought the car.
2009 RT with 60k miles.

Thank you
View attachment 1008071
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Those black wheels are OEM, but they are SRT8 wheels, did not come on your R/T from the factory. I really like those :)

A Guy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want the "old school" look, with a wider sidewall, get a 255/60-18 tire. It, however will throw your speedometer off by 4.1%. At 60 mph, your speedometer will be showing 62 mph. If you want your speedometer to be more accurate, install a 255/45-18 tire. At 60 mph, your speedometer will read 60.76 mph.
(y)Right on. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.