Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm checking out CAI , and trying to narrow down my choices , who has installed and was it a ***** or easy. Did you feel any power gains or sounds ?", It looks like Mopar has several that would fit , I like the metal tube look slot thanks for any help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Lots of threads on this very topic. Often a first mod. I like the look of the mopar one.
Most agree CAI do little for performance. However, most brands reduce intake temps a little, and minor difference in the sound.

Install is very straight forward, and easy.
Good luck,
W

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Hellcat air box, I'm starting to believe in this mod over my custom fender pull, just did some data logging cai fender pull vs hellcat lower box and K&N panel filter.

Hellcat was the winner ( air flow - air charge what the engine gets). The air temps was only marginally better with fender pull, I'm talking about hitting ambient temp at top of 2nd gear- fender pull and the hellcat air box I hit ambient just a couple of 100 rpms into 3rd gear, talking about less than 1 second in data logging time.

Only way to ever run a cai system because you just have to have one, 4" tubing and it must be fender pull style otherwise forget it and don't bother. if you buy anything less than that your buying for pure looks and probably to loose power.

Believe me,I use to have a pretty good stance in running aftermarket cai, but I'm starting to swing the other way specially since my car is supercharged and I have more data points to look at in data logging. really paying attention to air flow numbers and get to see air temps in real time thru a 1/4 mile run and so forth. There are some other factors to why my engine no longer needs the fender pull style but that requires many more paragraphs of typing.

Reactions: B5Bridget

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
HC set up is what I use, but don't expect more "sound" from one.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
^ Good choice. A buddy of mine with a Hellcat tried out a couple CAI's and neither of them provided any gains. Think he tried the Mopar CAI and the LMI fender pull. He ended up selling them both and went back to the stock Hellcat airbox. He runs 10.80's at 128mph or so with it all stock except for drag radials and a 3.09 rear gear.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
I have the OEM CAI, and added to it a DIY HellCat headlight intake. ($20 tube from auto parts store and 5 minutes with a 3" hole cutter).

Frankly, I'm not convinced even the Legmaker CAI that claims documented gains is really any better than what I have with the above configuration.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
^ I think years ago the LMI was the way to go. They did have some legit gains with those, but that was because the stock airboxes sucked years ago (i.e. 2005-2010 or so). It seems like now these stock airboxes are pretty close to being optimal and there really isn't much left on the table. For $80-90 it's pretty hard to beat the hellcat setup in terms of performance.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
If it's not out of the engine bay in cold air it's a HAI not a CAI!

My thoughts of CAI's ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where is the best place to buy the conversion CAI to hellcat I guess I just need the lower box and the tube

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Contact Luke at Steve White, a forum sponsor. Great pricing, fast shipping, and good to work with.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
Where is the best place to buy the conversion CAI to hellcat I guess I just need the lower box and the tube

Or, one of these....

and one of these...

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Right now I'm in the testing phase of cai again, when I was naturally aspirated my home built cai made from 3" tubing down in the front fender worked the best over anything else I tried at the time including the stock air box, K&N panel filter, mopar cai. This was proven to provide best trap speed and e.t. hands down.

Now that I'm supercharged the 3" tubing looks to be a restriction according to my data log air flow numbers.

Right now I have tested these ( below) and best is number one in air flow data so far.

1. hellcat lower box with K&N drop in with stock 3.6 lid connected to the Sprintex tubing to the throttle body.

2. hellcat lower box with hellcat filter with stock 3.6 lid connected to Sprintex tubing to the throttle body.

3. hellcat lower box with K&N filter with PORTED stock 3.6 lid connected to the Sprintex tubing to the throttle body

4. Custom 3" cai fender pull with a very large filter attached to the Sprintex tubing to the throttle body. Provided cooler IAT sooner but not by much few hundred rpm( 1/4 mile run), air flow was down just a couple of numbers compared to #3 enough that I called it to be the worst between it and #3

#3 porting the upper lid made a huge upset in air flow numbers just destroyed the flow, not only in numbers from data logging but also killed my e.t. and lowered my mph this was a very bad move.

Right now I'm working on lower hellcat box with K&N filter and the MASSIVE hellcat lid that has the 4 1/2" outlet with a custom 4" tube running to the throttle body, hopefully have some numbers this weekend. If the air flow numbers are way down then I know which direction I will go, I have a little money invested in all this testing but this is what makes it fun.

If the hellcat TOP LID and custom 4" tubing don't pan out number wise, then I will return to what I have listed for #1

Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Interesting, however your setup is so unique that it will be hard to say who it is best for except you.

^ I think years ago the LMI was the way to go. They did have some legit gains with those, but that was because the stock airboxes sucked years ago (i.e. 2005-2010 or so). It seems like now these stock airboxes are pretty close to being optimal and there really isn't much left on the table. For $80-90 it's pretty hard to beat the hellcat setup in terms of performance.
I remember back in 06-07 when airhammers were just being developed, which is the design that became the legmakers, and the benefits have always been in the filter and temp sensor relocation. When the 392 first came out in 2011 they moved the IAT further from the throttle body so it doesn't heat soak hardly at all.

Couple that with the advances in modern paper filters and there just isn't much left to gain.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Back in 05 the SRT engineers said the 6.1 air box gave them the lowest pressure drop they had ever recorded while testing it...so it sucks hard and is still the same design used today.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts