Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Challenger Enthusiasts,

I am the proud owner of a 2016 Challenger Shaker RT Plus 5.7 A8. Just rounding 5k miles on this beauty, I'm starting to get the itch to improve. One of the reasons I choose this car over the Scat Pack is I think it will be fun to build it the way I want it. I just don't know where to start.

I'm looking for more HP and throttle response, and I would love to be putting down 400hp to the rear wheels in the future. The only things I have done is delete the rear resonators and tint the windows. A Top-10 list from you veterans would be awesome! I look forward to your guidance and opinions, thanks!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,603 Posts
Welcome....400HP at the wheels you say...if you have the coin available and don't feel like trading up for a SP or HC then a supercharger (Magnuson roots blower was the route I took) is hands down the best mod I have done in terms of $$/HP. I installed myself so all said and done it cost $7.6k. You can get a scat pack for the total amount of money spent (car + supercharger) but you will have more power than a scat pack (SP has better brakes, suspension, wider tires).

Go here if you want to see real dyno numbers:
shopHEMI.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome....400HP at the wheels you say...if you have the coin available and don't feel like trading up for a SP or HC then a supercharger (Magnuson roots blower was the route I took) is hands down the best mod I have done in terms of $$/HP. I installed myself so all said and done it cost $7.6k. You can get a scat pack for the total amount of money spent (car + supercharger) but you will have more power than a scat pack (SP has better brakes, suspension, wider tires).

Go here if you want to see real dyno numbers:
shopHEMI.com
Thanks for the reply and information. Did you have to modify anything else to handle the S/C?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,603 Posts
Thanks for the reply and information. Did you have to modify anything else to handle the S/C?
I did not have to modify anything to handle the extra power. I did however, swap out the drive shaft to a 1 piece which I did not to handle power but to give me more spirited driving (I have a manual). My next mod will be long tube headers and wider tires but that won't be until next year. Right now it is a blast to drive as it smokes tires like it is it's job (I drive with traction control off). :grin2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not have to modify anything to handle the extra power. I did however, swap out the drive shaft to a 1 piece which was I did not to handle power but to give me more spirited driving (I have a manual). My next mod will be long tube headers and wider tires but that won't be until next year. Right now it is a blast to drive as it smokes tires like it is it's job (I drive with traction control off). :grin2:
Nice! Sounds like fun! I was looking at long tubes as well, I read they are a good choice for the 5.7 Challengers.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Vote two for the cam and heads and some supporting mods. Can be done for less than a supercharger and get many more items that make your ride unique.

If you don't care to have the power there all the time, do some more simple bolt ons (mostly to get that throttle response and sound you are looking for) and add a nitrous system. Again, can be done for less than a supercharger and lets you decide when you want full on power and when you want it a little more tame. Plus nitrous makes you stand out in the crowd of challengers out there. Many a car shows I have been to and never seen another challenger on nitrous.

'Course I am just biased against superchargers but that is just me.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Why shorties over long tube headers?
I'm in CA, shorties should pass visual where long tubes will not, that's the only reason for me

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,603 Posts
Any maintenance challenges with the S/C?
Nope. The SC does not impact any serviceable areas. As for the SC, they have their own coolant systems and internal gear oil that are generally maintenance free. Some units require more frequent gear oil changes.

Only negative I have noticed is I rotate the tires more often and at only 20K the tires need replacement.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,603 Posts
Ok, that sounds like a smart play then! As for the tires... Could that be an operator driven issue ?
It most certainly is. :rocker: Apparently all the lead from the paint I ate as a kid has concentrated to my right foot.

This is what my workplace back entrance driveway is beginning to look like.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Adding long tube headers and a custom tune (you'll need one) will give you about 30-35hp. 5.7s have restrictive exhaust manifolds and respond well to headers. That's where I'd start. You'd want them anyway if you go forced induction down the road. A Hellcat headlight intake won't hurt either.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,603 Posts
Adding long tube headers and a custom tune (you'll need one) will give you about 30-35hp. 5.7s have restrictive exhaust manifolds and respond well to headers. That's where I'd start. You'd want them anyway if you go forced induction down the road. A Hellcat headlight intake won't hurt either.
Yeah if you do LTs then you need a new PCM (and/or tuner) that will run ~$1K. Most SC kits include the PCM, tuner and tune. I went SC first but now I want to do LT and maybe a cam. I should have done it all at once but the hush (as in don't tell the wife) funds take awhile to build.

Then there is a point where you hit the crossroads (1) do I continue modding or (2) do I trade up for a SP or HC? I love to wrench and the look on peoples faces when they realize they have been spanked by a 5.7 RT.

This is what I come-up for cost per HP (not 100% sure on the cam/heads):
Capture.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts