Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. Owing to the great advice given in this thread re: A Turbo + supercharged Challenger I am even more enamored with the idea of incrementally making this happen :notallthere:. I realize there are some motor parts swaps that need to take place in order to support compound boosting a Challenger.

The plan is:

1. buy a baseline '10/'11 R/T
  2. swap out motor for forged parts (up front cost with no performance gain, right?)
  3. (sometime in the future) adding supercharger
  4. (sometime in the future) adding twin turbo
I am thinking about reforging the motor since that will be the least expensive of the relative compound steps.

I realize that tuning isn't available for the 2011 yet. I think that's okay since this will be an incremental build - by the time it is I would have the resources to add a SC or Turbo.

My question for the gear heads is what specific modifications should I swap into the motor to support boosting between 14-20 psi?:scratchhead: Ideally I am looking for a list of parts/installs that I can take to a speed shop to help guarantee the HEMI can handle dual boosting in the future.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Wow. I'm wondering if you might be better off buying a 426 instead.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Why???? What would you be gaining?? Headach's In any event new internals will be needed.
Tout

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hm. maybe I am crazy! (quite possible! or delusional)

To answer your question "why" -

1.) The combination of a supercharged turbo intrigues me
2.) Seems like it would be possible to slowly build to it in financable chunks over a couple of years in the meantime driving to work, tuning for street use (8-10 psi?) while allowing for future cababilities of racing.

I am emailing a local speed shop and they are echoing the "you are crazy" vibe. I think such feedback is quite valuable actually! (and refreshing I guess)

/shrug

·
Banned
811 Posts
Other than looking cool under the hood at a show, it's in my opinion a pointless endeavor. I can imagine it would be a tuning nightmare. And for only 15-20 PSI, really, what is the point? You can make that easy with twin turbo. PSI doesn't mean anything, anyway, you really need to be looking at how much power you want to make.

A build for this is going to require dropping the compression, and that's going to require tuning even if you don't throw boost on it right away. That leaves the 2011 cars out for you, for now.

I think you really need to assess your goals for the car. Throwing money at a concept just because intrigues you is probably going to cost you alot more than you need to spend.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I gave you some info in your other thread, I'll add a bit more here as well.

To build a forged motor designed for boost the compression will need to be lower than a standard NA motor. Factory R/T motors are 10.3:1 compression.

My forged motor was built with boost in mind and is 9:1 compression.

The lower compression robs some horse power so I went with a 6.0L stroke to make up for that so it was a wash. I got the best of both worlds...a motor that could take considerable boost, and a nice torquey engine out of boost.

You'll want to discuss your plans with the engine builder of your choice and design the motor around what you're wanting to do.

My guess is they'll suggest a 8.4 or maybe lower compression to run compound boost in the 20psi range.

It will be tough to make that up with any stroke, and may not be advisable due to the extra boost involved.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Speedy and shark - thanks for your input. Very much appreciated. A local speed shop replied to me with the following:

The rear mounted Twin Turbo Setup you are refering to is an STS turbo system. The quality & craftsmanship of these kits is below average and I would not reccommend them. However your idea of using a Magnacharger on the Challenger is a good idea, we are a Magnuson Dealer and install them. I am concerned about you wanting 16-20psi of boost. That is an incredible amount of boost for a 'Street' Car. The Purple Challenger you see in our gallery makes 12psi of boost and was undrivable as all it did was spin the tires. When the tires did hook up it ripped the rear end out from underneath the car WITH aftermarket driveshaft & CV axles. After we discovered that we turned the boost down to 8psi which made the car more drivable and keeps the rear end happy. My question to you is are you planning on building a race car or a street car?

I would first purchase a 2010 Challenger that you like and let us put either a Magnuson Supercharger or Procharger Supercharger on it boosting 6psi for your daily driving needs. If you want to grow in the future I would reccommend that you go with the Procharger Supercharger system and it is more upgradable to accept your future engine modifications (also allow you to turn up the boost) than the Magnuson Supercharger. I would try to stay away from the turbo/supercharger combo as it will add a lot of unwanted weight to your vehicle and might cause more problems then it would be worth.

Probably a case of boost creep on my part. I appreciate the candor of the community. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Seems like pretty sound advice.

I do question the 12psi Magnuson Supercharged car ripping rear ends out of itself though.

Mine's on 12psi making 550RWHP. I drive it around town all the time, and while I do have to be cautious with the throttle I've not torn anything up what so ever in the past year I've had it setup this way.

I also installed DSS Level 5 axles and hit the drag strip Saturday. I ran a 12.03 at 118.26 with a 1.82 60'. I then put my street tires back on the car after running down the drag strip all day and drove the car back to the house an hour and a half away with no problems.

I'd question the driver of that purple car for the damage done as mine has not had a single problem and I'm even still on the stock clutch.

550RWHP is a bit much for the street in all honesty. I originally asked for 500RWPH and Arrington over delivered by a bit. Fine by me as I like the power, but it can break the tires loose at 70MPH in 3rd gear which has somewhat of a pucker factor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts