Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like an idiot for even typing this but... as I was maneuvering my Challenger to back into the garage I managed to catch the rear tires in the grassy area of my yard. Normally not an issue but in NC we got roughly 6 inches of snow/ice. The second the tires hit, traction control bogged me down and I was stuck.

Now I've tried "rocking it" by going from 2nd to Reverse, cardboard under the tires, and even scrap plywood. It's pretty much mud at this point.

My buddy said he'd come by tomorrow with his F150 and give me a pull. I have no idea where to hook a recovery strap on a challenger? It would need to be from the front for this scenario.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thats a tough one. I would not do an a-arm because it's too critical to the function of the car. Swaybar would definitely be a better choice.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Turn off traction control and throw some kitty litter or gravel in front of the tire.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm sure your out by now. When I lived in N.Y., I use to carry fireplace ash (triple bagged)
and a garden spade for those times.

·
Super Moderator
13,704 Posts
Kitty litter and ash are good traction aides and may help you. I would try this before a tow. If you don't have any, try sand. I always keep two bags in the trunk of my beater car.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know it has been said twice already, but kitty litter or gravel is the answer - don't risk doing anything you will regret. It will get you out of almost anywhere if you have enough; it will bite down into the snow.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah I'd be real careful about pulling on that sway bar. They will bend easier than you think. This is the bad thing about today's mostly plastic cars...there's nothing to pull from when you need help.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My buddy is coming by in a couple hours. I think I've got a big bag of sand in the shed. I'll try that first. I cannot get to the sway bar due to how deep in the snow I am.

The lower A-arm is visible when I crank the wheel all the way. I literally need just a light tug to get out of this rut.

The one year I no longer have my Commander... haha

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I got the car out last night. My buddy ended up driving his Polaris Ranger over that has a winch. We tied a recovery strap around the lower A-arm. All I needed was a little assistance from the winch and I was free. Now my yard has dirt kicked back 15 feet behind the hole haha.

·
Premium Member
9,208 Posts
I know you're good now but I'd ask a reputable towing company where they would hook up to if a Challenger needed to be pulled on to a flat bed. We all would benefit knowing the answer.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Good to hear you got it back on to a hard surface.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts