Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

There are a lot of exhaust threads, but I didn't see on about this minor thing I've noticed with my 2019 Hellcat Red Eye.

I noticed it right away. It's not getting worse. After shutting off the engine a little black water drips from the left cylinder exhaust pipe. There is a joint between exhaust pipes where this occurs, with a circular band around the aft pipe that is used to tighten it around the front pipe.

This circular tightening band is a little further aft than the one for the right exhaust, and that is probably why it is allowing water to drip. If water can drip (this is a low point in the pipe) of course gas can escape too, but it probably isn't much.

Anyone ever seen this on a challenger? I'll get it fixed - either myself by loosening the band and moving it forward and retightening it - or have the dealership do it in the spring under warranty. Car is in the garage for the winter.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
2 things

Either the clamp is loose

Or there is a minor hole/scrape causing the moisture to seep.

Either way, itll only bug you if you look at it

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 5.7 and just installed 392 exhaust manifold and midpipes. I welded a vbands in between the mids and catback (for ease of removal/install) and noticed last night that water vapor was leaking after i stop for fuel. I going to leave it alone for now since the shorty install was a pain:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah i think OP want to see the condensation on the tip of the exhaust and not on the midpipe transition. i dont smell any exhaust gas on mine inside the cabin so ill leave it alone for now.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good answers. So I went out there to the shop where the car is up on a four post lift and after staring at the offending exhaust pipe joint decided I'd fix it. Now, understand, this is brave territory for me because my brain housing group did not receive early training in fixing things of a mechanical nature. I'm more of the "that isn't working, or looking, right" type who can then describe the problem - this is part of my history in life and part of flying airplanes for a living. My hat is always off to the people who fix things - who dare to go where I will not in disassembling things.

But this didn't look too tough. There is a clamp and a nut. Got the ol' monkey wrench out and loosened the clamp. Couldn't move it forward to marry it up with the other one, so I banged on it with a rubber mallet.

That's when the transmission fell out. Nah! Just kidding. But I couldn't move the clamp. It appears to be glued, or welded at the top. I gave it a few good whacks to no avail.

So I retightened it - almost as hard as I could with the wrench - and if that didn't fix it...I'll just enjoy the black spot as landoawd and other posters suggest!

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's normal, nothing to fix.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,111 Posts
It's very common and those black spots it leaves on the garage floor are known as "cat piss" lol!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts