Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Some of you may be familiar with Driveway Demons on YouTube. The fellow who makes the videos bought a new Hellcat Redeye a few months ago and has been making videos of an exhaust mod, getting stripes (his car is a beautiful F8 green), etc. I like his stuff and he's technically been very accurate in describing the features of his 2019 Challenger.

His latest is his full review, and he has high production values and roars around filming himself driving the car. I'd say his monologue describing the Redeye is the best I've seen.

He has an aftermarket oil catch can - it looks like the one I got from UPR - silver, engine mounted. He mentions it and then says Dodge incorporated a factory oil catch can so maybe he didn't need to get this UPR one - and he points to a small round black canister with some hoses directly in front of the steering wheel and in a line behind the air filter in the engine bay. See photo of my Hellcat RE below.

UPR does sell some kind of catch can that goes before...heck, I don't know. Given that post PCV outlet oil catch cans are controversial in the first place one might think one before...ummm...before wherever would be overkill. And yet Mr. Driveway Demon said there was a stock oil catch can on the "before" side of the engine.

Standing by to get educated on this subject. One, is there really a stock oil catch can on the Redeye somewhere in the engine oil flow? Two, does anyone have an aftermarket one that goes...before?

BTW, that UPR can gets hot! No surprise. And, I'm pretty sure it adds 37 horsepower! *wink*!

Best,

Finface

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
On the drivers side there is a solenoid with a hose that connects to the intake air hose and to the drivers side valve cover, that is the entry air control. I'm guessing that is what he refers to.

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
Not exactly sure what it does but Deano's explanation sounds good.

Defintely not a catch can.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Hellcat Valve Covers have built in separators. I'm sure they're not 100% so I'd still run a catch can.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The big problem with catch cans is that they are illegal as far as passing smog in CA. It would be nice if we could get the ARB to allow for catch cans to be smog legal. I collect about an ounce of oil in my catch can on my Scat Pack with every 6 month oil change. Mileage is probably a little over 1k.
I would like to find a male to male fitting so that I can disconnect the hoses from my UPR catch can and attach them together. Most smog guys will pass the car this way.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
The big problem with catch cans is that they are illegal as far as passing smog in CA. It would be nice if we could get the ARB to allow for catch cans to be smog legal. I collect about an ounce of oil in my catch can on my Scat Pack with every 6 month oil change. Mileage is probably a little over 1k.
I would like to find a male to male fitting so that I can disconnect the hoses from my UPR catch can and attach them together. Most smog guys will pass the car this way.
I really don't understand that? The catch can does not bypass the PCV and actual helps reduce combustion of oil vapor. But then again it is CA where apparently coffee causes cancer too.
https://www.businessinsider.com/california-cancer-warnings-coffee-2018-4

·
Registered
496 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
deano379
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing