·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you are taking a loan and putting down ten percent or less on a new sticker Challenger, I would go with the gap insurance or you will be on the hook for the difference in value and owned amount.

I have taken out the extended warranty a few times and on one occasion it was a rap hassle to get the rear axle covered. Depending on what they offered it to you for an alternative is to just set aside the money that you would have paid, even if it is fifty dollars a month, and save it on the hope that nothing major will go wrong.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You buy gap coverage either thru the bank you are financing with or from the dealer when you get the car. I would suggest you get it from your finance company because the dealership usually marks it up in price. I have bought through chrysler warrenty direct and the prices were very good. I did not check out your other link. Both these companies are selling the same warranties. You could also check out steve white motors which is a vendor here, I don't know about their prices but they seem competitive with parts/etc. I tend to buy the extended warranty on a 1-2 year old chrysler product. My last one was for 5 or 6 years and 100,000 miles for about $1600 on a SRT. If the wrong thing goes wrong it will save you a lot of money. Do not waste your money on a non-manufacturer warranty, they just don't work well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went with Chrysler Warranty Direct last year. They sell the same warranty as option 2 but, much cheaper. When you buy the warranty, it even shows up on the My Mopar site. I went Lifetime and $100 deductible. Among the other cool features listed on the site, one stands out to me. If you sell the car without using the warranty, you get some type of refund. I have great peace of mind knowing I'm covered for a LONG time. Lol

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If you need gap insurance you're getting a shitty deal or your insurance sucks....There is no need to buy insurance for insurance...If you buy extended warranty make sure its not a third party...but genuine factory extended warranty...imo

Good luck...

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger
13 Posts
depends on your circumstances

GAP insurance is good if you are rolling negative equity from your trade into your new loan, or going with low or no down payment. If your 40k challenger (plus 5k in taxes and dealer fees thus financed for 45k with zero down) gets totaled out after 1 year and with about 15k miles, You probably still owe 40k on your loan but your car was only worth 32k. GAP eats up the 8k you would still owe the lender after you settled the loss with the insurance company. I paid zero down, had good factory incentives, and did not purchase GAP because I found a better alternative (for me).

A good alternative that I used is with Allstate Insurance, they offer a 'new car replacement' option when you purchase collision coverage that for a few extra bucks per month in your insurance premium, basically says if your car totals out during the first 2 years (when most folks are upside-down and when GAP coverage would be needed), they will value your car and pay out what it would cost to replace with a brand new one, same options, rather than using the actual cash value of your car at the time of loss (1 year old used car with 15k miles).

Extended warranties. If you plan on keeping the car beyond 3-4 years or 50-60k miles, yes get one. Only get a MOPAR brand one but you can buy one from any dealer. I used these guys who had the best price for a lifetime max care warranty in late 2015. Genuine Mopar Vehicle Protection Warranty - Save $$ Today Part of this plan includes free rental car for any maintenance or service work. Oil change? rental car. Tire rotation? rental car. New a/c blend doors, passenger seat track, and a/c control head? rental car for 2 weeks. BTW I have 70k miles on my car and the retail price of the A/C and seat track repair that i just had done for $100 under the warranty would have cost more than the price i paid for the warranty. I worked at a Dodge and Jeep dealership service department for 6 years about 20 years ago. If you keep the car, the high-end extended warranties pay for themselves. It used to be all about the transmissions but now with the electronics and electronic conveniences, there are so many more things to fail and they are much more costly when they do fail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personally I never do warranties. It would have to be a heavy discount on a extended manufacturer warranty to get me to purchase one.

Gap insurance...sigh. If GAP insurance makes sense in the deal you are trying to work out then you need to rethink your purchase. Having debt on a car is generally not a wise idea, but being upside down on your car which is continually going down in vale every day. Really bad idea. If shit hit the fan and you had to sell...you would be stuck.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts