Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the advantages of going to synthetic oil are, besides being able to go further without changing it. Right now I get oil changed for $22 at the dealership, and their talking $80 per change for Mobil One synthetic oil.

Any real reason to switch?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I use conventional but if you switch to synthetic I still wouldn't run it any longer than you would conventional oil.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I change my oil every 5,000 miles now that I use Castrol Syntec.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I use conventional but if you switch to synthetic I still wouldn't run it any longer than you would conventional oil.
Gotta disagree with that. With synthetic oil, you can definately run it longer than conventional oil.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Even though the synthetic oil is much more stable than conventional (in fact you can almost run it indefinitely) the additives in it are not that stable and would burn/dissolve after a while. I wouldn't run it longer than what the specs says.

Also if you live in cold winter climate, change it every spring as the cold temperatures would change oil's properties and that wears the engine at start up a lot more than it should.

·
Super Moderator
13,866 Posts
In my opinion, synthetic oils are well worth the money. They provide the following technical advantages:
  • Better low and high temperature viscosity performance
  • Better chemical & shear stability
  • Decreased evaporative loss
  • Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems
  • Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less oil waste.
  • Improved fuel economy in certain engines.
  • Better lubrication on cold starts.
  • Longer engine life.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've been told if you run conventional for a while and switch to synthetic you'll have more leakage. Not sure if its true but never bothered, routine oil changes make for some nice garage time.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Todays "seals" on cars are "synthetic compatable", so switching to a synthetic should be no problem.

When synthetics first came to market, it was very common to see any age car have seal problems when using a synthetic oil. Part of the learning curve for Detroit.

Same was true for Ethanol. Carbs use to go to heck with Ethanol fuels until viton seals became the norm.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you do it yourself you can use synthetic pretty reasonably. I buy the 5 Quart containers of Mobil 1 and a filter at Wal Mart and am doing the change every 5,000 for less than $50!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I've been running Royal Purple synthetic for 20,000 miles now and I change it every 5,000. Love the stuff!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you do it yourself you can use synthetic pretty reasonably. I buy the 5 Quart containers of Mobil 1 and a filter at Wal Mart and am doing the change every 5,000 for less than $50!
You're 2 quarts low if you have a HEMI!

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I've been told if you run conventional for a while and switch to synthetic you'll have more leakage. Not sure if its true but never bothered, routine oil changes make for some nice garage time.

my son switched to Synthetic oil in his 5.3L chevy truck at 70,000 miles. he has over 90,000 on it now and no leaks to speak of.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am aware that my car takes 7 quarts of oil. The cost is still below $50. I simply buy the oil in bulk 5 quart containers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use synthetic for some of the same reasons already mentioned and change my oil every 6,000 miles like the OEM recommends, but elect not to push the maintenance interval because of the limitations of the oil filter.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I use synthetic for some of the same reasons already mentioned and change my oil every 6,000 miles like the OEM recommends, but elect not to push the maintenance interval because of the limitations of the oil filter.
On my 2000 Tahoe I do a complete oil change every two years using Mobil 1 synthetic. But on the year that I don't change the oil, I change out the oil filter using a Mobil 1, Purolator Pure 1, or K&N, and add a quart of oil. Also, I don't put on more than 7,000 miles in a two year period.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, sounds like I should switch over. I've got 2 more free oil changes coming, will do after that. Plus soon I'll have another car and the Challenger won't be my daily driver, but my weekend fun(only 27 and having middle age symptoms). The other car will be a Prius( :D ) for my delivery job, don't want to keep putting these miles on the Challenger.

So Mobil One vs Royal Purple vs Castrol... If I do it at the dealer, it's gonna be Mobile One, as thats what they offer. Why would Royal Purple or Castrol be better? And need one stick with a certain type of synthetic once begun?

·
Registered
87 Posts
that is so funny! so many people think that but they just don't know about oil and want listen to anyone else because they believe the first person that told them that. What happened back in the day was when people started trying to change to synthetic oils on cars with miles on them the syn. oil would clean the inside of the motor and get rid of the built up sluge and carbon around all the seals and would make them they. It was not because of the oil but becuase the oil you were using had to much wax in it and that help seal up bad and worn seals. the syn. oil is by far much better the conv. oil's

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've been running Royal Purple synthetic for 20,000 miles now and I change it every 5,000. Love the stuff!
I switched the SE over to the pricy Royal Purple myself...maybe just psychological effect 'cause it costs so much..but the engine does seem to run smoother..:)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hmm, sounds like I should switch over. I've got 2 more free oil changes coming, will do after that.
I get my synthetic along with the free oil change, I just pay the price difference for the synthetic which ended up being around $40.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:fight:
That's what happened with my 2008 Pontiac G8. I switched to synthetic from conventional, and about 10 months later I started getting oil leaks in my driveway. The service writter for the dealer who did repairs mentioned the synthetic oil probably caused the leaks.

I had to have my oil pan gaskets replaced. Everything was okay after that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts