Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the major manufacturers have "reintroduced" a retro version of one of their cars. They seem to be a big hit. So I ask Dodge to consider reintroducing the famed Road Runner! Although it was produced by Plymouth actually. Could Dodge revive this? I think It would be AWESOME to see Dodge take this retro muscle car craze to the next level by offering what was arguably one of the best muscle cars of all time!

On the other hand, I think Dodge made a huge mistake by turning the Charger into a 4-door family sedan. I'm sure the sales numbers are great for the charger, but the 4-door absolutely kills any reassemble to the original. GM did the same with the GTO, absolutely ruined it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Most of the major manufacturers have "reintroduced" a retro version of one of their cars. They seem to be a big hit. So I ask Dodge to consider reintroducing the famed Road Runner! Although it was produced by Plymouth actually. Could Dodge revive this? I think It would be AWESOME to see Dodge take this retro muscle car craze to the next level by offering what was arguably one of the best muscle cars of all time!

On the other hand, I think Dodge made a huge mistake by turning the Charger into a 4-door family sedan. I'm sure the sales numbers are great for the charger, but the 4-door absolutely kills any reassemble to the original. GM did the same with the GTO, absolutely ruined it.

I was a big Charger fan until the 4 door version came out... Now I am a proud owner of a Challenger Scat Pack...:grin2:

·
Premium Member
9,348 Posts

The GTO looks like a giant jelly bean.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We were discussing the Road Runner name the other day, it was said that Dodge does not own the rights to the Road Runner name and did not think Warner Brothers would grant them a license to use it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Should retire Charger/Challenger and do Coronet/Road Runner.

Everyone gets the Cha-Chas confused

Honestly, not good for marketing when both of your flag ship cards start with a Cha and end with a Ger..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To APK..
You are probably right about rights to use the name Road Runner. I am sure that could be overcome by striking a deal with WB like Plymouth did back in the day.
I think the car, if done properly (and I think dodge would) would be an absolute home run. GM and Ford also have models they could bring back that would sell like crazy. Even if they produced them in relatively limited numbers.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
We were discussing the Road Runner name the other day, it was said that Dodge does not own the rights to the Road Runner name and did not think Warner Brothers would grant them a license to use it.
I don't get it...how can an indigenous bird's name be controlled by Warner Brothers? Isn't it the state bird of New Mexico? Ask the governor their for the rights. No need to have a friggin' cartoon bird represent a beautiful car.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think if they simply (originally) named the car Road Runner there would not have been any grounds for a legal dispute with WB. However, once they started using the cartoon character is when WB has a beef. The cartoon character is WB property, not the name Road Runner. Either way, this is a relatively small hurdle and should not be a big deal for an automotive manufacturer to resolve.

·
Registered
958 Posts
it's not just the name it's the cartoon bird, without the beep beep bird it's only half an image. At any rate I'm all in for a 2 door beeper retro revival.

Proud former owner of two 70 Roadrunners, really miss the B7 one I had.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
I think if they simply (originally) named the car Road Runner there would not have been any grounds for a legal dispute with WB. However, once they started using the cartoon character is when WB has a beef. The cartoon character is WB property, not the name Road Runner. Either way, this is a relatively small hurdle and should not be a big deal for an automotive manufacturer to resolve.
I agree. Money talks.

Also, its not like Warner Bros. is still making Road Runner cartoons.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
it's not just the name it's the cartoon bird, without the beep beep bird it's only half an image. At any rate I'm all in for a 2 door beeper retro revival.

Proud former owner of two 70 Roadrunners, really miss the B7 one I had.
If you read the story behind it, it did not cost Chrysler very much to use the cartoon image. It copyrighted the name Road Runner for a car BEFORE they met with W.B. and they guy had black and white cut outs put on the car when he pitched the idea to W.B. They wanted a ton of money to allow it but the Chrysler rep said," We copy- righted the name, if you want your cartoon's image on a car it's now or never" (Paraphrasing of course because that was a long time ago when I read the article). And it was close to production time (for the 1968s) when W.B. reached a decent agreement on price. That is why the'68 R.R. birds on the car are in black and white. The color ones are 69 to 75. Incidentally the 68 R.R. horns were black and purple for 69 and up.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Should retire Charger/Challenger and do Coronet/Road Runner.

Everyone gets the Cha-Chas confused

Honestly, not good for marketing when both of your flag ship cards start with a Cha and end with a Ger..
Now I thought this was funny. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bringing back Old Names do not work all the time. And now would be the worst time to develop a new car. Sales of sport cars are falling every month. Truck's are flying off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you read the story behind it, it did not cost Chrysler very much to use the cartoon image. It copyrighted the name Road Runner for a car BEFORE they met with W.B. and they guy had black and white cut outs put on the car when he pitched the idea to W.B. They wanted a ton of money to allow it but the Chrysler rep said," We copy- righted the name, if you want your cartoon's image on a car it's now or never" (Paraphrasing of course because that was a long time ago when I read the article). And it was close to production time (for the 1968s) when W.B. reached a decent agreement on price. That is why the'68 R.R. birds on the car are in black and white. The color ones are 69 to 75. Incidentally the 68 R.R. horns were black and purple for 69 and up.
I've read all that to but that was then and today it's always about big bucks and legalese.

Regardless I'd like to see it work but I find it unlikely. When all this retro stuff started I was surprised they went with the Challenger and not the Plymouth as the Runner was far more familiar to most people and certainly would have been my preference if done correctly. I liked the old E body cars and owned a couple but I lean more toward the B body cars, just personal preference.

·
Registered
255 Posts

Has Dodge not already re-introduced a retro car or two?? They already have the Challenger and Charger out there. Should they also to a 'Cuda, GTX, and Duster?? They would just be overdoing it at some point... not to mention, those weren't Dodge...

The newer GTOs were all two doors. But as mentioned, not good looking or tough looking cars. That's what ruined it.

Be happy with what's out there now. The days of a mid-sized two door car are likely over.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts