Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barton has FINALLY released their automatic shift knobs for 15-17 Challengers! I have been waiting for one of these to hit the market since I bought my 16 SPS!

Does anyone have a pic of one installed? (Not sure if posting a link is again forum rules?)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,683 Posts
They're a vendor here, so post away I'd think ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well it would be kind of hard to have pictures of it installed considering it just came out.

With that being said, I don't have their shift knob replacement, but I have the Hurst one. I got hands on with the Barton one at MATSLV '17 and was nearly identical. Slight differences in terms of feel(I prefer the Hurst) but different methods of operation. My pictures should give you a rough idea of what it'll look like, the top of the Barton being more round than the Hurst.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is interesting, but I think I'd still rather have my pistol grip.

I don't remember the Barton rep talking about doing a Ball shifter, at the time it was just the pistol grip. Good to see there is something different about them besides it just being another pistol grip.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I didn't watch the video, so I don't know if this was addressed or not. When the Hurst shifter was installed in my Charger, they had to leave the OEM shifter stuffed up in the console or the computer wasn't happy. I assume the same will be true with the Barton shifter.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,683 Posts
Yes, the original shifter still stuffed under

A Guy

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
These all look cool, but I honestly like the stock shifter. It feels good, and I do like the illumination feature.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,683 Posts
I tend to rest my hand on the shifter. One reason I haven't gotten the pistol grip. I guess you can rest your hand on the ball. But as opposed to other things I do for looks, the shifter is used all the time. Possible on the list :)

A Guy

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
^This^ and for the money, "plug and play" would be nice for the cost of these. "Plug and store away" just doesn't interest me at all. lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a little nostalgic for me. My first Challenger had an 8 ball shifter and I loved the feel of resting my hand on it as I cruised. I have been waiting for a ball style shifter to release. The install is a bit weird but I can deal with it. I bet there will eventually be better options on the market but this will do for now.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You would think they could furnish some type of "dummy plug" to fool the computer so you could remove and store the original.I think when I get the Hurst shifter I may just pick up a spare OEM shifter from salvage yard.They can be had pretty cheap and I will dissect it leaving only the electronics necessary to fool the computer.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Nice!

Black and brushed aluminum?

The brushed aluminum doesn't look as good as I thought it would in your picture. Looks kinda plastic-like and cheap. :frown:
I will get a better picture, that was taken in a dark garage using the only LED map lights. In person it has the typical brushed aluminum look to it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts