Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
These cars are well built, if I remember correctly Toyota was the one with the recall issues right?:notallthere:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
28K over nearly two years, driven hard at times, ZERO problems.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Two years on my R/T and no significant issues. Will see about my 392, but i have faith...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know your looking at an SE but Mine is a daily drive 2009 R/T six speed just turned over 43000 miles and i've had no issues with the car other than having to spend money on tires i've had no mechanical problems whats so ever. Clutch is just as strong as when i first bought it and i've driven it likes its meant to be driven at times. Granted its my DD so i'm not taking it too the limter everytime i get in it.

and its always a toss up about when a car will go down.. I had a 03' MINI S that the transmission went out on me at 50k miles and that was with regular schedule maintance check up and fluid changes, so you just never know when something will break. It is a piece of machinery and machines will break.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
These cars are well built, if I remember correctly Toyota was the one with the recall issues right?:notallthere:
The complaints against Toyota were bogus. I have absolute faith in my V6 Solara going 300k if I choose to keep it that long.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I am not expecting Toyota level reliability. I just want to get a fair idea what I am getting myself into. Are we talking $100 per year repairs or $2000/year. Should be fair enough question. I want an different type of car and I always liked the old 70/71 Cuda look. I just want to make sure this car will not seriously impact my bank account as I am not wealthy. If I were to buy any car and it cost me $5000 in repairs in 5 years, then I would have to say I made the wrong decision. That is just me.

As for mpg, I am satisfied upfront with how the Challenger does. If the mileage is too much for me to handle but matches (or comes close) to the rated mileage, then shame on me. My expectations have been properly set in this department.

What problem did you have with yours when it was delivered? Did Dodge fight you when you brought the car in or did they just fix it?

Thx

Scot
blower motor never worked...they got it working, but it makes a ticking noise now....im getting a new blower next week

headliner is 3/4" crooked over the back window(hangs 3/4" off of the ceiling)....the dealer is telling me to accept it...i will be going to a 2nd/larger dealer when i get a chance....they will fix it or i will ask for $$ to accept the flaw(on a $50k car)

the dashboard lights may be wrong too...they are about 1/2 the brightness of what im used to(in other cars)...the dealer said they were also dim, but since they dont have another Challenger to compare to they said 'dunno?'... which i kinda think reflects on that dealership....

i would expect $500+ in repairs a year..

I have a chevy work van and i expect $1,000 a year in repairs(they are so horribly unreliable) and lately its been closer to $2,000 a year....

it doesnt take much to have $500 in repairs.....if your worried the extended warranty may be a good idea for you

ps. I just sold my Toyota Sienna because it was costing me $500-750 a year in repairs...60,000 miles- motor mount broke, water pump, 2 radios bad, seat back kept falling off/broken, leather seats cracked 20,000 miles, lights flickering when door was open, garage door button broken, tires bald @ 20,000 miles and every 20,000 miles after that (even w/50,000 mile tires), rims peeled(got 4 new rims).......and i baby my cars!!! the car wasnt abused....that was my 3rd and final Toyota....went back to Chevy for the family car.....next step is Honda

this is my first Dodge...my father and brother like Dodge and have bought a few...they have decent luck....ive had friends w/ horrible luck though...one friend lemon lawed (2) avengers for brake issues....my friends have a bet on what will go first on my Challenger...transmission or leaks

im happy with the car...its cool....im just realistic and know their quality is on the lower 1/2 of the spectrum....some people will have a car that never has as issue and others will.....maybe the few minor issues im having will be handled and ill never have another issue....or maybe its just the start...roll the dice.....

i think a blower that never worked and a crooked headliner that made it through Dodges quality assurance and dealer prep says something about Dodge....if reliability is #1 to you dont get a Dodge...if looks/performance is #1 and reliability is #5 then go for it

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I tend to go by real consumers. That's why I like sites like Edmunds, Vehix, and the J.D. Power ratings. They are based on real owners responses.

Incidentally, here are the JD Power 2011 Vehicle dependability ratings for cars other than subcompacts (since the US doesn't make those). No Dodge in there, but that doesn't really bother me. Like I said, not complaints about my Charger.

Driver reviews on Edmunds give it 4.5 stars.

Midsize Car
Ford Fusion
Buick LaCrosse
Mitsubishi Galant

Midsize Sporty Car
Ford Mustang

Large Car
Buick Lucerne
Ford Taurus
Chevrolet Impala

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
74k miles daily driver and no mech issues, change oils when recommended and she is as strong as day one. I know it's not an SE but it gives you an idea. Take care of the car and it should last a long time. Then again every now and then there's a bad batch of cars with issues no matter what brand. Car is the best I've ever owned and I've had a few over the years. This one is a keeper! Don't take what the mags say, go by what the people have experienced it'll give you a better review.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think the CR ratings are based on whether or not the vehicle has any repairs under warranty, not necessarily what they were for. I've had two warranty repairs to mine (cracked window trim and a faulty radio unit that dropped the audio). My wife - in contrast - owns a new Toyota.

If we were given a questionaire by consumer reports, filled it out, and turned it back in...it would show my vehicle had two repairs in warranty while hers has none. Thus, the Challenger would get a worse "reliability" rating, even though it hasn't had anything I consider a genuine "reliability" issue.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
FWIW, I still have the first vehicle I ever purchased, a 1994 Dakota that I got in the fall of '93. After 17+ years and 176,000 miles the only repair I ever had to make on it beyond normal wear and tear items was a corroded wiring harness. The truck has never even had so much as the valve covers off and the little 318 Magnum still runs as strong as when it was driven off the dealer's lot.

Take care of your vehicles and they will take care of you.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
FWIW, I still have the first vehicle I ever purchased, a 1994 Dakota that I got in the fall of '93. After 17+ years and 176,000 miles the only repair I ever had to make on it beyond normal wear and tear items was a corroded wiring harness. The truck has never even had so much as the valve covers off and the little 318 Magnum still runs as strong as when it was driven off the dealer's lot.

FWIW? That's worth a lot.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i think 99% of challenger owners buy because of looks and performance

for 2011 the Challenger is the best combination of those 2 things out there

even with my current issues im still thrilled every time i look in my garage....had friends over today and they just saw there gazing at it, not saying a word....they all said they would be afraid to drive it because it was sooo nice.

ps. look into a new 2010 left over RT instead of that SE....the performance will make up for any reliability issues....with the SE your only getting part of the performance...if your hung up on reliability the SE performance may not make up for it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Part of the reason I am looking at the SE is my wife wants to share it. She will not allow me to get a manual and she drives 140 miles a day. Other than that, I would be more on board for an R/T. I figured that the 8spd tranny with the V6 will close some of the gap though.

Scot

·
Registered
368 Posts
I still have not made my move for a Challenger but I am leaning toward a 2012 SE at the moment since it will have the new xmission. But while car shopping for my wife, I thumbed through a Consumer Reports and happened to look up Challenger. It listed the reliability as well below average but provided no detailed explanation of why. Further more, it did not say whether the problems were with the auto, manual, v6, RT or SRT8. I guess I want to know why CR flagged the Challenger. Has anyone had any issues with theirs? Any motor, xmission, electrical issues? Anyone have over 50k miles on their yet who would like to report in?

Thx

Scot
I did a quick search on 'reliability' on this forum and came up empty.

If you use CR to buy anything you are VERY foolish. Enough said about that. My 09 did give me fits with a starting problem ( Batt. Problem ) when my Dealer finally figured out they had put the wrong battery in when fixing a Rapid Responce never had even a little problem and that car was run hard and put to bed wet. The build quality on my 2011 is even better than the 09 was.

Years ago there was an automobile reviewer named Tom McCahill that wrote for Popular Mechanics. He went to war wuth CR over a bad review they had given a Chrysler Imperial, forget what year. The Chrysler Imp. was the car that McCahill owned and drove, remember he was an Automotive reviewer and this is the car he opted to own. The reason CR gave the Imp. a bad rerview was because they feft the door handles would be hard to use if a woman had her arms full of packages and for no other reason. I don't feel there is a automobile expert on their staff. If you want to know about Cars read Car Mags.

Jack

·
Registered
714 Posts

But what is 176 000 miles, I have probably walked that much :D I have a '98 318 with about 160k miles and it runs fine but uses more oil than I would like it to. No smoke but...

Car enthusiast forums usually have a big list of problems that the car has but when asked if the car is reliable say it is as regular as time :lol:

I mean there are a few guys here who had the engine blow up or the strange random stalling on V8 cars. Of course, with any car model there will be 1 or 2 that have serious failures and that is what the warranty is for. I don't think we really have enough cars here with enough mileage to really start figuring out sigmas and bell-curves of problems...

Part of the reason I am looking at the SE is my wife wants to share it. She will not allow me to get a manual and she drives 140 miles a day. Other than that, I would be more on board for an R/T. I figured that the 8spd tranny with the V6 will close some of the gap though.

Scot
305 something horsepower or 370 ish horsepower, it is barely 20 % more guts, if you kill the speed limiter the SE will still do an easy 150 mph or more so who cares :D Teach your wife to drive manual :D 140 miles a day, the extra speed of an SRT (175 mph) is probably warranted so she can get home quicker...

i think 99% of challenger owners buy because of looks and performance
It has to be exactly 100 %. I mean it is too expensive, drinks too much gas, not very useful for carrying things or people, too large to park easily, etc etc but man does it look good and haul ass :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would very much like a challenger and I am willing to put up with some issues to get a unique car. But if we are talking $5k transmission issues or something like that, then I cannot ignore that. Funny thing is that Edmunds shows the cost of ownership of the SE on par with a Solara. SE has slightly higher repair cost but Solara has much higher maintenance cost over 5 years. Sort of a wash. It could be that the production numbers are too low to get a real read on reliability. I still have a few months left before the 2012 comes out so I will keep my ear to the ground.

Thx for your responses.

Scot
Holy Shnikees! A Challenger and a Solara? Dang it dude! If you want to drive a middle-aged-divorced-crazy-*****-lady car then go get one. They sell 'em at the Yota dealer everyday.

If you want a bad-ass bullit-proof car that looks awesome, sounds mean as hell, will tear up the asphalt, and handle damn good, and is well appointed then buy a Chally. But don't buy it if you are considering anything else. I mean, it aint a minivan dude.

It is kind of like the Marines. Not everybody can be a Marine, but many serve in the Navy. If you have what it takes, you can be a Chally owner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All you really need to know

To the OP:

I, like you, looked at CR before I bought the Challenger. And, again, I, like you, was _concerned_ about the 'Much Worse the Average' predicted reliability (though I did find it suspect that there was no information to support that rating).

In the end, my mind was made up by another statistic that CR presents: Owner Satisfaction (table attached). These numbers speak for themselves (though I and the other very satisfied owners on this forum will be happy to do that too :))

Buy the car man. You know you want it. You'll be happy you did.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 95 Posts