Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have a lot of friends and relatives with Magnums, Chargers, 300's, and Challengers. They have all been very happy with them. The problems have been minor, if they've had any at all. I had my '08 Charger for almost exactly 3 years, and the only issues it had were warped rotors (seems like every car has them anymore), and the driver's seat split, after a friend's tiny wife drove the car with the seat up all the way, and when I moved it back, it popped, just like it did in their 300. It was fixed under warranty, as were the rotors. I was going to have to put tires on it, the front end was eating them after the alignment was all messed up from all the craters in the roads around here, and it was about to go in for it's 3 year service, but I was very happy with it. I only traded it in because I wanted a Challenger, and the time was right to get one. I've had it 4 months, and it's only issue was the display on the stereo was dimming down once in a while. It seems to have resolved itself somehow.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
But what is 176 000 miles, I have probably walked that much :D I have a '98 318 with about 160k miles and it runs fine but uses more oil than I would like it to. No smoke but...
Intake plenum gasket leaking is a common problem with these Magnum engines. A swap to a Mopar M1 intake manifold will solve that problem :D

Cyrus said:
305 something horsepower or 370 ish horsepower, it is barely 20 % more guts, if you kill the speed limiter the SE will still do an easy 150 mph or more so who cares :D Teach your wife to drive manual :D
Yeah, but 290 vs. 410 lb-ft of torque is the real number to pay attention to, especially on a car this heavy.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
almost 20K miles and no mechanical issues at all.
cracked rocker panel that many people had...fixed under warranty

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Holy Shnikees! A Challenger and a Solara? Dang it dude! If you want to drive a middle-aged-divorced-crazy-*****-lady car then go get one. They sell 'em at the Yota dealer everyday.

If you want a bad-ass bullit-proof car that looks awesome, sounds mean as hell, will tear up the asphalt, and handle damn good, and is well appointed then buy a Chally. But don't buy it if you are considering anything else. I mean, it aint a minivan dude.

It is kind of like the Marines. Not everybody can be a Marine, but many serve in the Navy. If you have what it takes, you can be a Chally owner.
Funny post but I think you missed something. The solara I compare against is one I have owned since 2003. I am looking at the challenger as either a second car or replacement car.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
To the OP:

I, like you, looked at CR before I bought the Challenger. And, again, I, like you, was _concerned_ about the 'Much Worse the Average' predicted reliability (though I did find it suspect that there was no information to support that rating).

In the end, my mind was made up by another statistic that CR presents: Owner Satisfaction (table attached). These numbers speak for themselves (though I and the other very satisfied owners on this forum will be happy to do that too :))

Buy the car man. You know you want it. You'll be happy you did.

Excellent Post!

I think CR needs to justify themselves when making a broad comment about reliability as they did in the 2011 guide. No mention of what the problem is, or what cars were effected. This is what caused me to drill down on the issue.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
My 2010 Challenger only has 4000 km on it so I can't yet comment on long term reliability however...

The fit is great and everything aligns as expected

It feels good like it should

Lots of get up and go and I am confident it will serve me well.

Now for Dodge in general, I have owned 4 prior to the Challenger and all have performed well with no problems. First was a 89 Dodge Caravan 2.5 turbo with a 5 speed manual (rare) that I beat the living crap out of continuously until giving it away at over 150K Km. Seems the auto versions suffered from lack of RPM on the 2.5 turbo - recall seeing a lot of smokers - no such issue with mine - it got tons of high revving.

My most recent before the Challenger was a 2003 Durango 4.7 liter AWD heavy duty everywhere. I still have it with 160 km on it - nothing besides oil and regular maintenence and it is strong as ever.

I have no concerns with the Dodge brand an am a happy long term consumer.

CR == Consumer Rag!

:guiness:

·
Registered
554 Posts
CR gave glowing reviews to Toyota. This was before they had all the accelerator issues.
CR has their own agenda and like others have posted it is the last place I would use to determine a car's worth or anything else about a car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just shooting straight, but I don't think this is the car for you if you are agonizing this much over an SE. Almost seems like you are trying to talk yourself out of it. Go with your first, gut instinct and get something else with high reliability rankings. I saw my car, drove my car, and immediately knew she was to be all mine. Having never owned a dodge or Chrysler car, for the first time in my life I bought an extended warranty and sleep well at night with my decision. I often find myself inthe garage either staring at my car, sitting in it, or cranking it up and listening to it purr,ok roar. Haven't ever done that with any Toyota, Ford, or GM vehicle I've owned. Either you feel it right away or you don't. Don't beat yourself up over it and just get a sound reliable car that will last 150,000 miles and sleep well at night...Honda gets high ratings probably? Had a very reliable Toyota truck too.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just an FYI, the 8-speed has not been confirmed for the 2012 challenger yet. It is likely but not 100%. You may end up waiting for nothing. Also, when the 8-speed does hit, the previous model year will most likely have substantial discounts on it. When the 2011s came out, the 2010s were going for 4-5k off msrp. Also, buying a car with a newly released transmission could mean you're in for more problems than the well tested 5-speed.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The complaints against Toyota were bogus. I have absolute faith in my V6 Solara going 300k if I choose to keep it that long.
Recalls are typically not bogus because they are issued by the manufacturer. I think you are refering to the unintended acceleration as being bogus and not the recalls.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
To the OP:

I, like you, looked at CR before I bought the Challenger. And, again, I, like you, was _concerned_ about the 'Much Worse the Average' predicted reliability (though I did find it suspect that there was no information to support that rating).

In the end, my mind was made up by another statistic that CR presents: Owner Satisfaction (table attached). These numbers speak for themselves (though I and the other very satisfied owners on this forum will be happy to do that too :))

Buy the car man. You know you want it. You'll be happy you did.
Excellent post, I have never seen this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I thank you will love the Challenger! They are well built, roomy, comfortable, beautiful, sporty, good handling and very reliable. Go test drive one and fall in love!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Recalls are typically not bogus because they are issued by the manufacturer. I think you are refering to the unintended acceleration as being bogus and not the recalls.
I was referring to the acceleration issues as being bogus.

I know some of the vehicles had premature rust and carpet placement issues which Toyota had to deal with.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I thank you will love the Challenger! They are well built, roomy, comfortable, beautiful, sporty, good handling and very reliable. Go test drive one and fall in love!!
I actually rented an SE for a week in Hawaii. It was a 2010 model and other than a few stupid things fixed in the 2011 model, I loved it even with a v6. It was not at all what I expected in the ride and comfort department. The ride over the broken roads was surprising smooth. The interior noise from the road and engine was significantly quieter than my 2006 Lexus 400h. Visibility around the car was a little inhibited but the mirrors seemed to be well placed to compensate. Even though it had 215 R17 tiers, the handling was pretty decent and predictable. I did not drive around with the ESC off though. Engine started consistently each time. The only thing I noticed about the motor was the coolant temp would wander about 1/8" or so. I have no idea what that equates to in degrees.
The transmission programing was funny. Sometimes while manually shifting it, it would not take 5th gear when I put it in D even though I was not loading the engine. Then I would hit the stick tothe right and it would finally drop in to 5th. The autostick does not actually let you pick your gear. It is more of a suggestion for the computer then it decides what to do. If you put the car in 1st gear, it would upshift around 3500 rpm on its own. I guess you could say lower gear suggestions delay shifting a little while upper settings "may" cause it to shift earlier than it would normally.

Rear seat access from the driver side was near impossible since you had to use the power seat controls to move the seat forward. 2011 fixes this. The only other complaint I had was the location of the parking break light. I drove for miles with it on a couple times as the suns glare was on top of the light. In my opinion, it should be moved to one of the center two gauges. I never had a problem in my Toyota remembering to take the break off but it is a manual so I am used to the process. Also, I can feel the drag on the car when letting out the clutch. It is hard to get that feel in an automatic unless I crush on the parking break. That is generally not me though.

If my wife gets a car for her work commute, I will be free to get something other than an SE. But until then, I am pinned. :)

Scot

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is not so much I am letting them pick a car for me as I am just looking to get an indication what I am in for. If/when I buy one, it will be my primary mode of transporation. Since CR rate it low, I figured I would reach out to those who have the car to see if the rating is founded.

I have had only two cars in my life and put over 120k on each of them. My family has had a couple really bad cars. One was an 83 Cavalier. It we notorious for blowing motors at 20-25k mile intervals. The other real bad car was 90 Taurus. It was supposed to be the mark of quality for Ford. I have something else to say about it. Transmissions, head gaskets, steering problems, etc caused us to take a cosmetically perfect car and send it to the bone yard with less than 130k miles on it. I just do not want to follow the path of my parents car pics. :)
I use my 2010 SE as a daily driver and have just over 15K miles and have had to mechanical problems. I did have the passenger side trim crack like others here, but they replaced it under warranty, no arguments.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So far

I love my Challenger, thus far I do not regret the purchase, However. while I have had no issue with the engine/drivetrain they seem very solid the car looks great, rides great. I am having issues with the quality of some of the interior and trim pieces. There do seem to be issues with stuff like, rocker trim, chrome clad wheel cracks, little plastic this and that cracking/breaking. I have 14k miles on my car and its babied, so its not an abuse issue. I have numerous post about the sinking/deformity of the area around the passenger side air bag area. Some people including me are having issue getting some of these issues fixed. Chrysler/Dodge has out right told me there is nothing to be done about the dash / airbag issue. There seem to be conflicting responses about the whells being replaced. Other peoples milage may vary, this has been my Exp. This was my first Dodge product, I do love it, I will not buy another, not because of the car but because of the service exp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A while ago in Consumer Reports when they rated the V6 Camaro "above average" while the V8 got a "poor" reliability rating, someone chimed in and sent them this letter:

"CR, there is something you need to understand about pony/muscle cars. People who buy the V6 versions of muscle cars aren't interested in performance, they like the car for its looks and so they can say that have X model of muscle car. Meanwhile, people who buy the V8 versions of any muscle car are often times leadfoots who put extensive modifications or power adders and will often times race it at the drag strip or road course and do dry pavement burnouts. When people do that, there is always a chance something will break and you need to account for that in your ratings."

CR's response:

"That shouldn't matter, you should be able to do those things without worrying about breaking something. Also, keep in mind racing a street car will void your warranty."

Well CR I would like a lot of things too. I would like Stevie Ray Vaughan to come back from the dead. I would like to win the Powerball. I would like to have a "chance" meeting with British glamour model Ivy Nedkova and have her fall in love with me. I would like to visit Jey Leno's garage. But those are highly unlikely!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had my 2011 SE for 2 months and the tire pressure light
has gone off three times now and the hood liner is sagging
near the brake light. I suspect that most problems with the
challenger will be minor or cosmetic, and not major mechanical.
There is no surprise that American car companies have minor
quality control problems, but they are mechanically rock-solid.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts