Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great response. CR just showed that they are not qualified to review cars

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using AutoGuide App
I told that CR quote to one of my import-loving friends and he goes, "They're correct it shouldn't, I know people who have stock honda blocks with turbos and other power adders and they don't have a single problem!"

I told him, "Yeah wait until their axles snap or the block cracks!" and I just walk away.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hmmm, whether to wait and buy an SE with maybe an 8-speed transmission (does this make the SE fast?) or pick up a discounted 2010 or 2011 R/T or maybe even an SRT instead? Tough decision

·
Registered
32 Posts
i just traded my 2009 srt8 for caddy cts v coupe
i loved the challenger, but i had a continual dead battery problem, after 4 months of dealer visits , tow jobs, etc i gave up on it.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Hmmm, whether to wait and buy an SE with maybe an 8-speed transmission (does this make the SE fast?) or pick up a discounted 2010 or 2011 R/T or maybe even an SRT instead? Tough decision
why is it a tough decision? if you have the money why wouldnt you know if you wanted an SE or an SRT? is there any comparison at all?....i can see trouble deciding between the RT and SRT, but the SE?

an 8 speed isnt going to make an SE into a SRT

get a left over 2010 RT or SRT

·
Registered
535 Posts
Every car has it's issues, but as a general rule of thumb you can count on a new car a lot more so than an older car, but then again everything comes down to an owner. If you respect the car, usually the car will respect you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
for me:
6k miles, no maintenance problems on the Challenger.
Very confident that it will run strong.

I used to drive an early 90's Jeep Cherokee Laredo...drove it back and fourth from LA to San Fran area. no issues at all.
And no real worry about anything breaking.

My 2003 RX8 concerned me.
In the shop more days than out of the shop.
Would not take it on any road trips, for the fear of being stranded.
Ended up selling with out any second thoughts.
Was even nervous taking it to work, was stranded a couple of times.

·
Registered
323 Posts
don't these cars come with warantees? when i was looking for a car i didnt find much issues on the challengers. when looking around for cars a few months back i easily found issues with a few suv's i was looking at on the web in a matter of seconds from a single search. i was able to find specific issues to specific years to watch out for. for the challenger i didnt dig up any really bad info. that tells you that there isnt anything serious out there other then the casual lemon you will get. i wouldn't take to much stock into what cr says, if its not an import cr usually doesnt rate it very high.

·
Registered
714 Posts
A while ago in Consumer Reports when they rated the V6 Camaro "above average" while the V8 got a "poor" reliability rating, someone chimed in and sent them this letter:

"CR, there is something you need to understand about pony/muscle cars. People who buy the V6 versions of muscle cars aren't interested in performance, they like the car for its looks and so they can say that have X model of muscle car. Meanwhile, people who buy the V8 versions of any muscle car are often times leadfoots who put extensive modifications or power adders and will often times race it at the drag strip or road course and do dry pavement burnouts. When people do that, there is always a chance something will break and you need to account for that in your ratings."

CR's response:

"That shouldn't matter, you should be able to do those things without worrying about breaking something. Also, keep in mind racing a street car will void your warranty."

Well CR I would like a lot of things too. I would like Stevie Ray Vaughan to come back from the dead. I would like to win the Powerball. I would like to have a "chance" meeting with British glamour model Ivy Nedkova and have her fall in love with me. I would like to visit Jey Leno's garage. But those are highly unlikely!
Honestly I'd side with CR on that one. Where does CR get their ratings -> from CR subscribers who fill the surveys. V6 or V8 it is unlikely these cars have been significantly modified or driven harder than they were intended to be.

Being a leadfoot shouldn't affect the reliability of the car, you should be able to run at WOT all the time without breaking anything, otherwise, the car is badly engineered or manufactured :p

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I hear about cars having headliner or dashboard issues. Does anyone have a pic of that so I can see what they mean?

Scot

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is a pic of mine

This is a known issue, my dealer did order a new dash but it had the same problem. Dodge does know about it but keep telling me they have no intention of doing anything about it. Some seem to have no problem at all, some have had theirs replaced and seem to be happy, and yet others simply use a dash mat. This is a sticking point for me as I feel it should be made good and they simply will not.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I still have not made my move for a Challenger but I am leaning toward a 2012 SE at the moment since it will have the new xmission.
No, it will not. Only the V6 Charger and V6 300 will get the 8-speed transmission in 2012. So, either wait for 2013 if it's that big a deal to you, or forget about it and go grab a 2011 and start enjoying it now...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm owned 38 cars in the last 35 years and my Challenger is my 1st Dodge. Dodge made some awesome cars back in the 60-70s but I wouldn't buy back then because everybody I knew that had them all had electrical issues so I have the 7 year 70k mile bumper to bumper warranty on mine.

Owned 9 months/8K miles & issues to date have been:
* center console door broke(before I bought it) - I had them fix it
* engine turned off driving down the road - 1x, no fix
* radio volume sticks on low - 3x, turn off then restart works fine, no fix
* high speed blower fan died - replaced
* 1/2 the I on the HEMI valve cover came off - replaced
* ps hose leaking - found this yesterday when changing oil, will take in to get fixed

Would I buy the Challenger again? Heck Yes!

All my new Fords, Chevys & Ponticas only had 2 or less items fixed under warranty. Don't get me started on the POS Mazda 6 we bought new.

·
Registered
726 Posts
What about people who don't take the time to complete surveys and reports for whatever reason, good or bad? We know it's a payola scenario many times. Watch an episode of MotorWeek and see how they gush over every car any manufacturer is willing to give them; almost as worthless as CR.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
What about people who don't take the time to complete surveys and reports for whatever reason, good or bad? We know it's a payola scenario many times. Watch an episode of MotorWeek and see how they gush over every car any manufacturer is willing to give them; almost as worthless as CR.
I guess it depends on how the different organizations get their data. If they depend on customers to fill something out, then you can expect the data to skew to the negative side. People tend not to fill out forms when there is nothing bad to say.

·
Registered
432 Posts
only issue I've had are the infamous cracking rocker panels. Got cracks in 3 places now, will get it fixed next week.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I still have not made my move for a Challenger but I am leaning toward a 2012 SE at the moment since it will have the new xmission. But while car shopping for my wife, I thumbed through a Consumer Reports and happened to look up Challenger. It listed the reliability as well below average but provided no detailed explanation of why. Further more, it did not say whether the problems were with the auto, manual, v6, RT or SRT8. I guess I want to know why CR flagged the Challenger. Has anyone had any issues with theirs? Any motor, xmission, electrical issues? Anyone have over 50k miles on their yet who would like to report in?

I did a quick search on 'reliability' on this forum and came up empty.

Thx

Scot
Hi Scot,

The best suggestion I can give you is test drive all the cars you can. Get your own opinion of the car, as you want it. Each car is going to be different from one owner to another. As other members have stated, Consumer Reports are good if you have a larger pool of respondents. Something you will just not get with such a limited built car like the Dodge Challenger. Lets face it 30,000 cars per model year is low in car standards. Even compared to the 200,000 Mustangs that are produced each year. While a lot of these cars are not built as high performance cars, they do end up with good reviews by their owners. Any written report is always going to be biased in some way or another. Asking on a Challenger forum how one rates his own car is no exception. I would go to the Camaro forums and ask them to list the good features of the Challenger and the Mustang. And in return do the same here! I bet you will not get a warm welcome either way.

The truth is all three cars are going to have issues. Quality is what you make it. If you abuse the car it will not last, regardless of how well it was built. With that I can say that I have owned cars from the big three and all have served a purpose and handled well. I for one am happy with my 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T with Six Speed Track Pack. But I would be just as happy with a Chevy Camaro with a six speed as well. There have been minor issues with the Challenger but nothing that I would consider questioning its reliability over.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts