Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
rscarawa,

I feel your pain. It is never an easy decision to pull the trigger on a large purchase like a car. I don't know your financial situation but it is pretty clear that you don't want to be broke because the car you love is giving you fits. I can definitely respect that. The problem in looking in a forum like this is that you are going to get very jaded responses. Those who have had issues will, rightfully so, let their dissatisfaction be loudly heard. Other owners will defend their car to the death. I am not as wealthy as others appear to be on here (I still can't figure out how so many of you have had 2 or 3 challengers already) but I am fortunate enough to have purchased an 09 SRT as my play toy. I drive a 96 Ford Ranger as my DD. I may not be the best person to ask since I have only owned mine for a few months and only have about 1500 of the 8000 miles on my car. I absolutely love mine and have had no issues at all with it (other than it is black and it is pollin season in Georgia :) ). I find the build quality satisfactory inside and out. No cracked trim pieces or squeeks or anything (still not sure how the one guy is reporting that his trim pieces are broken and chipped yet he claims to baby his car) and has been mechanically sound. I would be willing to bet that if you started a thread like this on a Honda Accord site you would also find people that would report issues at the same time others would rave about it. I know that does really help you, but just like most things are the truth is probably somewhere in between. If you you love the car go for it, life is too short to not enjoy! I would add one more thing....I would agree that looking at the '10 RT or SRT would be worth it, the performance difference in undeniable.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
They found out that the acceleration claims wer bogus/unfounded. BTW.....I own a 1995 Toyota T-100 SR-5 Pickup truck. Best vehicle I have ever owned! My Dad has had (2) Camry's.......he hated to get rid of the first one after 16 years! Great Cars. That being said.......The Challenger is a car that you just get totally excited about your drive to work and back in.
In fact, it's even fun at the Gas Station! I have yet to be filling this thing up and not have someone give me the thumbs up, stop and say out their window, NICE RIDE!, or something like that. Not once. It is pure sexy. Pure Sexy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I told that CR quote to one of my import-loving friends and he goes, "They're correct it shouldn't, I know people who have stock honda blocks with turbos and other power adders and they don't have a single problem!"

I told him, "Yeah wait until their axles snap or the block cracks!" and I just walk away.
Turbo Charged Hondas BREAK BIG TIME. Plus 4 Bangers ARE NOT MUSCLE CARS.

Jack

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Turbo Charged Hondas BREAK BIG TIME. Plus 4 Bangers ARE NOT MUSCLE CARS.

Jack

Thing is turbo anything, will break or wear out faster than none turbo engines. In the aviation world, you can expect the same turbo engine to have only about 80% the life of a non-turbo motor. And no motor is built like an aviation motor either! Many of the aviation motors like those in your average Cessna are designed to be run at 75%+ throttle indefinitely and the turbo still decreases life expectancy. You cannot do that with a car motor. Your average auto motor runs at 10% power for the majority of its life. The time spent at 75%+ throttle is a few seconds at a time.

This gets to my second point. If you have a car built as a hot rod, chances are it will be driven that way. This would explain potential engine failure or wear on cars like the r/t or SRT compared to the SE.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
If you have a car built as a hot rod, chances are it will be driven that way. This would explain potential engine failure or wear on cars like the r/t or SRT compared to the SE.
So true. Most times when someone starts a thread about being fed up with the problems with their car, when you dig deeper you find out why they had problems.

·
Registered
825 Posts
in my opinion consumer reports is editorial comment that they try to loosely disguise as science by throwing in a select couple of useless 'tests'..

I wouldnt make major life decisions based on it.. ick.
:notallthere:

·
Registered
148 Posts
To the OP:

I, like you, looked at CR before I bought the Challenger. And, again, I, like you, was _concerned_ about the 'Much Worse the Average' predicted reliability (though I did find it suspect that there was no information to support that rating).

In the end, my mind was made up by another statistic that CR presents: Owner Satisfaction (table attached). These numbers speak for themselves (though I and the other very satisfied owners on this forum will be happy to do that too :))

Buy the car man. You know you want it. You'll be happy you did.
Glad that I tracked this thread down as I was about to start a new thread about this same very thing. Was interested in everyone's thoughts about CR's dislike of the Challenger. Looks like many of you guys have the same opinions as I do.

Yes... Funny how CR can give a Predicted Reliability rate of worse than average 1) In 2009 when the Challengers have had next to no history and 2) Even with the owner satisfaction as high on this car as any other car out there.

Some things have crossed my mind regarding CR's dislike of the Challenger. Good owner satisfaction ratings despite a bad write up by CR makes me think that they tend to rate this car as though it was any other daily driver car that is on the road and rate it's usefulness based on a set of criteria that Challenger enthusiasts and owners care very little about. For instance:

Sight lines and blind spots are terrible: Well yes they are. But how many of us owners really care? A mom hauling 2 kids around every day might have a problem with not seeing well out the back rear window, but that is why she is driving a minivan and not a Challenger.

Car is too big and heavy. Much moreso than the Mustang. Again, yes they are. But how many Challenger enthusiasts are really concerned about the weight of the car? If we have bought the car because it has a larger backseat than the Mustang and Camaro(and the biggest trunk too), more interior room and a larger old-school profile than both of those other muscle cars, then Challenger owners can deal with and accept the additional weight.

Ride is not as nimble and as road "grippy" as the Camaro and Mustang. Well of course not, not when the car is wider and heavier with a larger profile than those other two cars. But for those of us who like larger cars instead of driving around in tin can Camaro's or in cramped Mustangs, the ride is fine. I've had no trouble cornering the car at 50 miles an hour, the thing feels like it rides on rails. But just because it doesn't do it as nimbly as a smaller car that is 800 pounds lighter doesn't mean that it can't do it. And it doesn't mean that it should be compared to one either.

The fact that the Owner Satisfaction numbers are through the roof despite CR's bad ratings proves that CR has missed the boat on this one. What CR needs to do here is recognize this as a niche car, and rate the car based on what is expected of it by it's owners. Not by across-the-board generic standards that they use when rating all cars.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Would not wipe my [email protected]@ with CR if I was out of toilet paper.

They should call it CJ. For Japanese circle jerk.

Go back to 1987 and the 5.0 Mustang. Same bad ratings blah blah. Well I bought one anyway. A neighbor still has it with more than 300k miles on it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you have a car built as a hot rod, chances are it will be driven that way. This would explain potential engine failure or wear on cars like the r/t or SRT compared to the SE.
As an engineer, I disagree. If it is built as a hot rod, it would be driven that way, but should be designed to handle it without complaint also. If you beat the piss out of a Camry and it breaks maybe there is an excuse, but on an SRT-8 drop a valve after running it around a racetrack a few laps or a few dragstrip runs isn't appropriate ;)

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I agree. But, how many of those broken valves, etc. are from moderately to heavily modified cars? A car built to be a hot rod is also more likely to be modified by its owner before it goes to the track. I don't think the manufacturer should be expected to be responsible for modifications outside of its control.

As an engineer, I disagree. If it is built as a hot rod, it would be driven that way, but should be designed to handle it without complaint also. If you beat the piss out of a Camry and it breaks maybe there is an excuse, but on an SRT-8 drop a valve after running it around a racetrack a few laps or a few dragstrip runs isn't appropriate ;)

Sent from a mobile device.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree. But, how many of those broken valves, etc. are from moderately to heavily modified cars? A car built to be a hot rod is also more likely to be modified by its owner before it goes to the track. I don't think the manufacturer should be expected to be responsible for modifications outside of its control.

Sent from a mobile device.
your car makes me wish I got orange.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
no warranty for some SS Mustangs

##############
A while ago in Consumer Reports when they rated the V6 Camaro "above average" while the V8 got a "poor" reliability rating, someone chimed in and sent them this letter:

"CR, there is something you need to understand about pony/muscle cars. People who buy the V6 versions of muscle cars aren't interested in performance, they like the car for its looks and so they can say that have X model of muscle car. Meanwhile, people who buy the V8 versions of any muscle car are often times leadfoots who put extensive modifications or power adders and will often times race it at the drag strip or road course and do dry pavement burnouts. When people do that, there is always a chance something will break and you need to account for that in your ratings."

CR's response:

"That shouldn't matter, you should be able to do those things without worrying about breaking something. Also, keep in mind racing a street car will void your warranty."

Well CR I would like a lot of things too. I would like Stevie Ray Vaughan to come back from the dead. I would like to win the Powerball. I would like to have a "chance" meeting with British glamour model Ivy Nedkova and have her fall in love with me. I would like to visit Jey Leno's garage. But those are highly unlikely!
Ford/Shelby obviously agree on the statement that the power of the car should not impact its warranty or reliability. :)

800-horsepower Mustang on the way - Apr. 7, 2011

The base version of the outgoing 2011 Super Snake produces 630 horsepower, although no-warranty option packages have been available in recent months to push horsepower in those cars up to as much as 800, as well.

Obviously there is a correlation between power and intended use where the manufacture understands the car will have higher breakage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2013 Challenger RT with 50,000 miles on it. I replaced the tires at 45,000 miles, but other than that, it's needed only oil and filter changes. I'm quite sure that this will be a reliable car for a very long time. I never get bored with it. I get compliments all of the time when driving it. I'm really glad that I didn't get something from Toyota or Honda. That would've been, well.............boring. Plus, this car has something else those cars don't - resale value.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have a '15 challenger sxt. It has 8000 miles and alreadt has had the skid blate bolts all fall out causing the plate to fall out. And the wheel speed sensors go bad making abs esc lights come on and causing cruise control to stop working. This may seem minor but when I buy a new car I expect nothing to break in such a short time. But other than that the major components seem fine. And for such a heavy car it is still very fun even with the v6.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts