Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting, only lurked, so I'm sorry in advance for the crudeness.

I've got a 2013 6spd R/T and I would absolutely love to put in a remote start(I've had it on every car other car and feel in love with it) Now its not like I haven't already searched the forums for this question, believe me I have searched the net endlessly with no answer. I wanted to know if it was possible to install a factory/mopar remote start and use the oem fob and keep the key-less and go feature. I don't want to loss any features and I don't want another key fob. I'm not positive but i believe that this exist on the auto version. I'm not really worried about the neutral failsafe as I never leave it in gear while parked(lots of flat ground here). Thanks for any help in advance for the help guys!
:banger:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Here's a picture of what my 2011 R/T looks like with the remote start. I push the x2 button twice to turn it on:

You would at least know if you'd need a new fob to make it work.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
There's actually no neutral safety on the manual cars but there is a clutch safety and these combined make it so there's no way the Mopar remote start would work on a 6-speed. Also, the feature codes in the PCM determine what is enabled or disabled, and I'm sure that the auto PCM is different than the 6-speed PCM, not to mention that the auto PCM would communicate with the TCM to determine the state of the transmission.

All this is done via modules over the CANbus network, these aren't just old-school on-off switches where you can just "trick" the car into thinking there's an automatic trans that's in park by wiring in a switch.

You could probably do it with an aftermarket unit, but without any safetys in place it's an accident waiting to happen. All it would take is being distracted one time when parking for you to have a disaster when you activate the remote start.

I can say that I "always" lock my car when I park because that's what I intend to do, but if I'm being honest then I can tell you that there have been times where it slipped my mind because I was distracted.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have met three people during my ER days who got smooshed when a manual trans was activated by remote start. Two of the people were getting into their respective car and the car behind them activated and rammed them and the 3rd was loading her trunk and the car behind her rammed her. Two of the times it was supposedly caused by random signals and the 3rd time the owner did not remember he left it in gear. I will grant the chances are remote but on the other hand I have met three people.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I watched a 3 day old Ram that had an aftermarket self install remote start worked perfectly truck started and promptly drove right thru the building. This was at work pretty ugly total a vehicle with less than 100 miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! I honestly didn't expect such stories, I thought accidents like these didn't happen very often. This is a lot to consider. I don't even think it's worth it now. That's for the fast responses I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Bottom line, if you want remote start you have to go with an automatic...also it falls onto the watching DVDs category...LIABILITY...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I doubt it happens very often and I just happened to meet unlucky people. However, even I occasionally will leave a car in gear even though I never do.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The Internet sure has a way of compiling all horror stories of worst case scenarios...

I've had remote start on 2 manual cars. One that just completely bypassed a switch under the clutch that had to be pressed to start the car. I also purposely started both of them while in gear. Both cars lurched forward about 6inches to a foot. It's pretty easy to get into a routine of leaving it in neutral when you park and not starting it when you are not sure if you left it in gear.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have aftermarket python 592 2 way remote start/alarm system on my 2011 6speed
without issues. It has a safety feature where if you do leave it in gear and try to start it, it wont. only problem is that it reset the feature. you have to reprogram it again. Takes 2 mins to do. Or you can leave it in automatic mode which turns off the feature but you have to remember to leave the car in neutral. I always leave my car in neutral and on my 2 way remote its impossible to remote start it by accident. it has a locking feature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts