Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT Pitch Black Clear-coat
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at work patrolling last night and my vehicle was left untouched during my overnight shift. I went to remote start while walking out towards my vehicle and it started for 15-30 seconds then turned off completely. When I got in, it said “Remote State Disabled, Starr vehicle to reset” and so I did that. I ran the car and it started up fine without issues, but there was now a check engine light. I then turned the vehicle off and on again to see if it was just bugged out and it did the same thing. So I turned the vehicle off and immediately checked the gas cap to see and still has the issue. I’m about to get the vehicle codes ran in an hour but wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,032 Posts
Get a list of the DTCs stored in the PCM, one (or more) will be responsible for the CEL.

Erase the stored codes.

Try to recreate the scenario so that the CEL comes on again if possible. If it does, read the new code(s) stored in the PCM.

Whatever codes showed up on both lists will be your latest and greatest associated with the CEL. Start diagnosing those as applicable...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a list of the DTCs stored in the PCM, one (or more) will be responsible for the CEL.

Erase the stored codes.

Try to recreate the scenario so that the CEL comes on again if possible. If it does, read the new code(s) stored in the PCM.

Whatever codes showed up on both lists will be your latest and greatest associated with the CEL. Start diagnosing those as applicable...
So read the code, it was my new gas cap. The stock one was a standard twist one. I bought the wrong one and it wasn’t clicking properly because it didn’t fit.

I feel much better. The new paint job is great and it looks good now.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Damn that was an easy fix...cherish those while you have them. A couple years and a few 10K miles down the road, the fixes to problems that pop up will become decidedly more painful. 🤕

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn that was an easy fix...cherish those while you have them. A couple years and a few 10K miles down the road, the fixes to problems that pop up will become decidedly more painful. 🤕
Without a doubt. I wanted a locking gas cap because you never know with people, but I bought the wrong model from Auto Zone and it wasn’t securing properly and wasn’t the right fit in terms of the ridges or lines to twist and secure.

I was told my check engine light will remain until the sensors read and return to normal so I’m debating disconnecting the battery or system for the check engine light by resetting it but I’m afraid of messing other things up.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Without a doubt. I wanted a locking gas cap because you never know with people, but I bought the wrong model from Auto Zone and it wasn’t securing properly and wasn’t the right fit in terms of the ridges or lines to twist and secure.

I was told my check engine light will remain until the sensors read and return to normal so I’m debating disconnecting the battery or system for the check engine light by resetting it but I’m afraid of messing other things up.
the only thing(s) that it would “mess up” would be that it would cause the following to take place:
a) reset the fuel trims
b) a clearing of the emissions monitors
c) transmission adaptives (if applicable)

Clearing or resetting A and C may not affect drivability, but if you detect some difference, it will go away as they are rebuilt/aged in. No harm there.

Resetting B could have a negative impact if you planned on getting an inspection soon. Most inspection places will either fail or at least refuse to inspect a vehicle whose emissions monitors have not run and set to “OK” yet.

If you are not planning on getting an inspection any time soon, B is not anything to worry about either, IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts