Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Want to install remote start in the car. The dealer wants $500 parts/labor to install OEM stuff. I told them I would install OEM parts and all I want them to do is activate it. They said "No can do".
I found this:
Databus All Interface Module
It use's the original key fob and works with Chrysler/Dodge products.
Does anyone have this installed in their car?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I ordered a Audiovox Flashlogic FLRSCH4 of Ebay for 99 bucks for my 13 RT. Just plugged in to the ignition switch and no cutting or splicing. Just push lock button 3 times and vroom.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I had problems with all three of the aftermarket remote start units (All Vipers) and friends with aftermarket units have had a lot of problems too. I got my factory unit installed for $310 out the door by a dealer 20 miles away. All the ones in town wanted $400+

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Audiovox Flashlogic FLRSCH4 is like the one by the other company I listed above. Started to research it and it appears to have a better plug and play harness.
The seller on EBay will program the unit also.
Going to call the manufacturer to ask if the horn function is turned off with their unit.
Don't like the fact that it sounds when you press the remote the 3 times to activate the remote start.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Having a tough time trying to buy the Flashlogic. There is one person on EBay but it looks like he's out of stock. Called Audiovox and they gave me a list some dealers by me. An audio place close to me will sell it for $123. Not bad.
Talk to a tech person from Audiovox also. The system has a breakout harness that plugs into your "ignition switch" and then into the remote start control. The only 2 wires you tee into are the door jam switch and the wire for the parking lights. You can tie into a 3rd wire for the horn but it's really not needed.
There really is no need to add an antenna to this product. The reception range is based on how far your key fob is picked up by your ECM.
I tested today my distance by opening up my trunk. I got about 150 ft and that looks like that's the limit. Does anybody need more than that to remote start their car?
In the next day or two I'm buying this product. More than likely from the audio place.
I will post a "How To" on the installation for anybody that would like to install it themselves.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Having a tough time trying to buy the Flashlogic. There is one person on EBay but it looks like he's out of stock. Called Audiovox and they gave me a list some dealers by me. An audio place close to me will sell it for $123. Not bad.
Talk to a tech person from Audiovox also. The system has a breakout harness that plugs into your "ignition switch" and then into the remote start control. The only 2 wires you tee into are the door jam switch and the wire for the parking lights. You can tie into a 3rd wire for the horn but it's really not needed.
There really is no need to add an antenna to this product. The reception range is based on how far your key fob is picked up by your ECM.
I tested today my distance by opening up my trunk. I got about 150 ft and that looks like that's the limit. Does anybody need more than that to remote start their car?
In the next day or two I'm buying this product. More than likely from the audio place.
I will post a "How To" on the installation for anybody that would like to install it themselves.
I didn't connect the parking lamp wires, horn, or hood switch. I called tech support and they advised me to just connect the harness and if everything worked, leave everything else alone. The horn, lights and everything worked. And it auto shuts off in 15 minutes plus the amount of time your accessory timer is set on. My biggest issue was I kept killing the car when I got in and pushed the brake. You will need to push the start button twice then push the brake to keep it running if you go this route or just use your key if you don't have a button.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts

I ordered mine today from a store on ebay. I paid $150.00 but it will be well worth that to me. I was greatly disappointed when I found that the factory remote start couldn't be added to my car and it was gonna cost me about $400 - $500
It has already been shipped today.

My thanks to member "orrwhat" for pointing to this system and for answering all my questions.

Here's the ebay link.

Plug N Play Remote Start System for Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM Volkswagen 300 1500 | eBay

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I didn't connect the parking lamp wires, horn, or hood switch. I called tech support and they advised me to just connect the harness and if everything worked, leave everything else alone. The horn, lights and everything worked.
Yes looking at the install instructions you really don't need parking lights, horn or hood switch, but you do need the door jam switch connected. That is how you activate the self start box after it's been flashed for your car by the dealer.
Look at page 8 of this:
http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/RS-CH4/FLC-CH(RS)-CH4-EN_20130911.pdf
I'm going to tee into the parking lights so I know the system is on when activated.
Note.
After writing this I called Audiovox tech line. They said the system can work, but you might have problems with your accessory circuit when the car is shut off. The start box doesn't know to shut off and can drain the battery thru the accessory circuit. So at least the door jam switch must be connected.
Any questions about the Flashlogic call 1-800-225 6074.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Got my Flash Logic remote start installed today and am very happy with it. I didn't install any additional wiring at all. My car already had the OEM hood switch and the parking lights already worked with the door locks and factory key fob. The lights flash when using the remote start. All I did was the same as orrwhat did... Unplugged the keyswitch harness and plugged in the new module. No programming required. It just worked.

I am concerned about what SXT said the tech support guy told him about it running down the battery. I don't know what has to be connected or disconnected to affect that situation. I guess I'll need to call them tomorrow and look into that.

I will say that the $150.00 cost of the kit is some of the best money I've spent on this car! Thanks to "orrwhat" for bring it to my attention.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Their tech support suggested as long as everything worked properly and the engine shut off after the 15 minute timer which it did, then no other wires needed connected. I would recommend checking you settings were the accessories stay on when the car is turned off to a low setting if they are set to high. I think my accessories used to be set at 30-45 minutes but I changed it to just a couple minutes. My car would sit for 2 or more weeks at a time and never drained down the battery.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Good info. I think I have mine set to 5 or 10 minutes. I'll check that tomorow and follow your advice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I just installed the remote start tonight after work. Gaining access to the start button connector was not easy (small space and large hand). Dropped the lower panel and metal shield but that metal bracket that's welded to the dash support was the reason.
I will say the Flashlogic did start with just hooking in the tee harness. Had my accessory timed for 10 minutes. Tested the system with the radio and blower motor on. When the remote timed out and the car shut off no accessories were on.
I will stand corrected about having to wire in the door jam switch. I had called tech one more time and now understand why in some cases that switch has to be in the circuit to prevent accessory drain. Being the Challenger has the option to time out the accessories that switch doesn't come into play.
The tech did bring up the wire for the hood switch. He said it's a safety so in case your under the hood working on the engine and an outside source does some how try to activate the remote start the system won't function.
I'm going to install a toggle switch under the dash for this. As long as that wire is grounded the auto start won't work.
Also going to wire in the parking lights so I know the system is on when activated.
Sorry if I might have confused anyone. As orrwhat said before, it will start your car with no other wires connected other than the breakout tee harness.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Glad it work out for both of you fellas. I traded my 13 RT with it still on the car. I bet the the new owner has no idea it has remote start. Maybe Ill see it on here on of these days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you do go factory, call around for different dealers. I checked 3 different Chrysler Dodge dealers and was shocked at how different the labor was. One dealer wanted to charge more in labor than it cost for labor and remote start combined at another dealer. I ended up paying around $390 tax included.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
My car already had the hood switch installed from the factory. Thanks SXT for the report. I didn't call the tech support today but I did try various things to make sure everything worked as it should and I see no issues with it.

You're so right about the difficulty in getting to the darn ignition switch harness. They might advertise it to be a 15 minute install, and it is, once you can finally get to where you can plug it in. But getting there is a royal pain in the butt!

The cool thing is that I never even put the module into programming mode. Plugged it in and it worked! I looked at all the program options and the default settings were just the way it should be so there was no need to change anything. True plug and play.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My car already had the hood switch installed from the factory. Thanks SXT for the report. I didn't call the tech support today but I did try various things to make sure everything worked as it should and I see no issues with it.

You're so right about the difficulty in getting to the darn ignition switch harness. They might advertise it to be a 15 minute install, and it is, once you can finally get to where you can plug it in. But getting there is a royal pain in the butt!

The cool thing is that I never even put the module into programming mode. Plugged it in and it worked! I looked at all the program options and the default settings were just the way it should be so there was no need to change anything. True plug and play.
Thanks guys for posting about this remote start.... glad to be able to find something that doesn't cost a fortune to install!!! Where is the hood switch located at under the hood??? And did it work for you right out of the box with th OEM hood switch???

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
The factory installed hood switch is located on the passenger side right up next to the firewall near the corner of the engine compartment.

Everything "just worked" when I plugged in the harness. The only thing I had to do where "programming" is concerned was to synch it to one of the factory key fobs which required pushing a couple of buttons. Done.

Edit...
I hadn't bothered to test the hood switch when I did the install so I just went out and tested it. It does not prevent the car from being started from the new remote start system. The switch is a safety thing to keep somebody from remote starting the car while you're working under the hood. I had figured it was all tied together from the factory but it isn't. I have no idea where the OEM hood switch terminates but will figure it out when I get time to fool with it again.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts