Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I was looking at adding the remote start to my Challenger. I found a few threads here where people only needed to add the hood switch, get new key fobs, and have the fobs/car programed for remote start.

Is this true? I looked at an ebay sale for the kit and it had an ignition as well as other wiring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Challenger-2009-ONE-KEY-Remote-Start-OEM-Mopar_W0QQitemZ390137562005QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad602c395#ht_530wt_736

Has anyone done this??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Freezing in MI
Rick

·
Registered
75 Posts
well depends on if your car has the right wireless ignition node (win), antenna and the wiring for the hood switch. had it installed a few weeks ago on mine r/t assumed i just needed the hood switch and fobs. i ordered the kit from the dealer before checking the car to see if i had the other items. the day i picked up the kit told them i would like them to activate it and program the new fobs after i installed the switch. after a few hour they came and said the ecm knows it has the remote start activated but it wouldnt reconize the new fobs. the ended up changing out the win and antenna to get it to work. so best to get a kit that has everything and check your car for the wiring to the hood switch. hope this helps some

Hi Guys

I was looking at adding the remote start to my Challenger. I found a few threads here where people only needed to add the hood switch, get new key fobs, and have the fobs/car programed for remote start.

Is this true? I looked at an ebay sale for the kit and it had an ignition as well as other wiring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Challenger-2009-ONE-KEY-Remote-Start-OEM-Mopar_W0QQitemZ390137562005QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad602c395#ht_530wt_736

Has anyone done this??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Freezing in MI
Rick

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jjar, did the dealership look up to see if the win was set up for it?
The other question would be; I wonder if I install it all, if the fob will start the car before I go to the dealer to have it turned on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the remote start installed on mine. From what I learned you have to replace the WIN. The kit comes with a new WIN, an antenna, two new Fobs, and a hood switch. I wanted to install everything myself which looked like a fairly easy install. But once the new WIN is installed the new Key Fobs wont start the car until they activate and reprogram it with the dealer Starscan tool. So you have no choice but to have the dealer install it. It cost me about $450.00 installed with tax. Has anyone installed the kit themselves and then been able to start the car using the new Key Fobs? I am sure you need the dealer to activate the remote start portion of it.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my biggest concern is post installation. I really don't want to install this in my driveway and create a 3600 lb brick in my driveway that I have to tow to the dealer for them to turn it on.

Let me run this idea by you guys. Install everything but the WIN, have the instro panel removed so that it just needs to be plugged in, take it to the dealer, install it in the parking lot, and then have them program it.

As I typed this I realized how cheap I sound, but spending hundreds for them just to program it drives me nuts.

Your thoughts? (please no big flaming, just constructive criticism)

Rick

·
Registered
75 Posts
jjar, did the dealership look up to see if the win was set up for it?
The other question would be; I wonder if I install it all, if the fob will start the car before I go to the dealer to have it turned on.
i dont know if they did ... i looked at everything in the car, it had all but the hood switch

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im not sure if there is a kit for Keyless go, but the remote start kit is about ~$200. Then you have to install it. Most dealers are charging between $450 - 550 for the kit and install.
my kit from the dealer was $227 with tax and them to install the win, antenna and activate it all was $211 and most of my saturday sitting at the dealer

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I purchased the kit for $175, and plan to install everything but the WIN, but prep the car for them to just unscrew the WIN and put in the new one. Then program the WIN for the car.

Hopefully the dealer wont go crazy with charging me to do this...

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Rick i have a remote start with keyless go .PM me if interested
Rick,

I have a 2008 SRT8 with push button start. I bought the remote start kit for the 2009 SRT8 becuase it comes with two remotes and the hood switch for lees than they would be seperate. What do I need to tell the dealer when my kit comes in and I have them install the necessary components. They seem to be clueless as my vin tells them remote start is not available for my car even though they put it in the 2008 owners manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased the kit for $175, and plan to install everything but the WIN, but prep the car for them to just unscrew the WIN and put in the new one. Then program the WIN for the car.

Hopefully the dealer wont go crazy with charging me to do this...

I'll let you know how it goes.
Where did you find this kit? I’ve looked everywhere. I have an 09 challenger srt8 6.1L 6 speed manual and I want remote start but not sure where to start

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) This is a rather old thread, and it looks like OP had an automatic. Mopar didn't install remote start on a manual that I am aware of

A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) This is a rather old thread, and it looks like OP had an automatic. Mopar didn't install remote start on a manual that I am aware of

A Guy
I test drove the exact year and model of my car that was a 6 speed manual and it had factory remote start so I figured I could have it installed on mine as well.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
I test drove the exact year and model of my car that was a 6 speed manual and it had factory remote start so I figured I could have it installed on mine as well.
No, not possible. No M6 Challenger ever had factory installed remote start.

Now there are aftermarket systems that can be used, they require you to go thru a specific shutdown procedure to ensure that the car is in neutral and this is the only way to do it safely.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts