Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 2015 B5 Blue Scat Pack that has the tail stripe. I'm not a fan and would like to remove it if I purchase the car. Has anyone removed a stripe after a few years? Could you still see where the stripe was? Any paint fading issues? I and the car are in Arizona.

Thanks,
ken

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I had removed mine on my 09 SRT 4 years later. It was black..buffed out the hood and nothing visible. You should be even better with B5 since black and white would be the worst to show signs of fading.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I wouldn't think it's a problem as long as the car was always garaged. Especially in AZ. I've seen where the old stripe location showed up when the car was wet but that may have been because the goop wasn't completely removed or just needed some clay bar work or good paint correction.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Should not have a problem with only 2+ years!
Mine was 6 years old, and besides using heat, some of the adhesive was still stuck on the paint and required heavy buffing.

Can't really say if my GWE had any fading; as we replaced the vinyl with airbrushing....same surfaces.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I removed the Carbon Fiber stripes on my 2010 SRT in 2015. I was afraid the color would have less fade were the stripes were even though the car was always garaged the Florida sun is brutal. No worry’s at all. Washed and looked perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Thinking of pulling my classic stripes off of my '10. Always kept under a carport and covered hoping it will turn out alright if I do this.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I jsut pulled my 6 year old stripes off my redline red SRT. Car has never had a garage, so it sat in the sun, rain, snow and likely worse here in the Southeast.

No fading, and the only hard part was the front bumper where it had so many little micro nicks and scratches it kept breaking while removing.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I removed hood stripes off my 2010 after 2.5 years. I did have to clay bar the hood to remove any trace of them being there. By this I mean clay baring the rest of the hood.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,448 Posts
Howdy! I've been know to show up at the Mopar meet in Scottsdale when I'm in the neighborhood.

BTW, I intend to keep my stripes until I replace them with paint. :ack:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for all of the replies.

I thought of another question. Does the tail stripe go under the rear spoiler?

I'll let everyone know how it turns out if we decide to go through with the purchase.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I purchased a 2012 in 2014; it was an RT classic so it had the long dual black stripes down both sides. I took it to a good body shop which I frequent and they removed the factory stripes and put some new ones on for me (which I had purchased from an after-market supplier). The car was white so if there had been an issue, I'd have seen it! No problems at all and you couldn't tell the factory stripes had ever been on the car. I think I paid them a few hundred; they also removed some emblems for me for a cleaner look. Good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Howdy! I've been know to show up at the Mopar meet in Scottsdale when I'm in the neighborhood.

BTW, I intend to keep my stripes until I replace them with paint.
I've always wanted to go out and park with the group of Challengers at the Pavillions on Saturdays but I dont know anyone from that group.

·
Super Moderator
15,344 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all of the replies.

I thought of another question. Does the tail stripe go under the rear spoiler?

I'll let everyone know how it turns out if we decide to go through with the purchase.

Thanks again.
The tail stripe is tucked up to the rear spoiler - so you don't need to remove the spoiler to remove the stripe

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here is a great hint for removing the larger decals. Use a hair dryer. Most people who are NOT savvy with a heat gun will either tear/melt the decal or bubble the paint. Use a hair dryer or leave the decal in the hot sun. Start at one edge and use your fingernail (if you have em') or an old plastic credit card/ PBA Card to start lifting. Once you get about an inch started, S-L-O-W-L-Y start pulling the decal back onto itself. DO NOT pull up 90 degrees from the body panel or it will tear and you will get frustrated and start pulling off small pieces. (A million of them). Keep using the heat to only soften the edge that is lifting off and keep s-l-o-w-l-y pulling back. You will get the entire decal off in one piece if you keep patient and pull. For removing old tinted windows, use a new razor blade cut away in strips. Keep changing blades. (They're cheap). You might use 2-3 per window. The glue will usually remain behind and then soak a rag with Goo-Gone and wipe the glass. Then use triple-zero or quad-zero steel wool with glass cleaner to rub any excess unseen glue. Fine steel wool will NOT scratch the glass. I clean the exterior glass all the time with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried a few methods but the best way so far is a Whizzy Wheel, basically a rubber wheel you put on your drill. If the stripes cover a large area you may need more than one since they wear down as you use them but they do remove all the adhesive residue. The dealer put cheap aftermarket stripes on my SXT to resemble an RT but they started to peel after 3 years so now they have to come off. I haven't completed the job yet since it is too cold here till Spring. Please let me know if anyone has a faster method, the wheel takes a lot of time but does a good job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts