Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It only takes about 10 minutes to do both seats. You have to depress 2 retainer buttons on each headrest to extract the headrest from the seat. The one intended for height adjustment, plus the "hidden" one on the other headrest post...look carefully at the circular trim piece at the base of the other headrest post. There's a separate, hidden edge piece there that, when pushed in while pushing in the main adjuster on the other post, will allow you to pull the whole headrest all the way out of the seat. The rest is self-explanatory. Just pop the 2 "E" clips off and slide that ugly hula-hoop off that sucker. You don't need to press any buttons to reinstall the headrest, just slide it back in and you're done. Repeat on the other seat.

This really cleans up the look of the seats and, since these things are a "convenience" feature rather than a safety feature, the only possible downside is that you might have to reach a little farther for the belt. If you're a bit taller like me and run with the seat kind of rearward and tilted anyway, you don't even miss the convenience.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I like the loops

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do you have any pics of the location where the loops where? Is there now a hole?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Loops are cool!

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
They remind me of huge pretzel bows. :rofl: Not to hijack the thread, but take a look at your sunvisor mounts. OMG! Any bigger, and they would touch our steering wheels! :disappointed:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hated the loops, Gone 5 minutes after reading this thread. I didn't like them, but I really hadn't taken the time to look at them to see how they came off. So Thanks for the post!!!

·
Premium Member
7,284 Posts
I don't mind the loops actually. I use the loop on the drivers side, but not on the passenger side (rarely does anybody sit there).

The passenger side is where I hang my hat while travelling to bike races. :lol:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have any pics of the location where the loops where? Is there now a hole?
Sorry, no photos. If you run the headrests all the way up and look up underneath them, you can still see the narrow grooves on the posts where the E-clips used to be but they're so close to the headrests that you won't see them unless you're looking for them. They are nowhere near as obvious as the notches in the adjusting posts. There are no holes that you can see when the headrests are installed.

I didn't mean to start a for/against argument on belt loops. Perhaps if they were a bit less obvious...a little smaller, say, and mounted to the seat backs rather than floating way up in the air off of the headrests. Then I'd have left them on and probably even used them. But to my eye, these loops look like a J.C. Whitney accessory or an ill-considered afterthought. Without them the seats look far more normal or natural. JMO...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I am 6'4" and when I had the belt in the loops the seat belt would end up all curled up (rolled) in the loop and made it look nasty. I just took the belt out of the loop and use it that way.
But a Hat Holder is a neat idea. Right there when you're ready to ride.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't know which side to pick... I don't like the look of the loops, but find them necessary for smoother use of the seatbelt. I guess I'll sit out for this particular civil war.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since I never drive without using my belt, I can certainly agree that the loops make using the belts a bit more convenient. It's just that, esthetically, the loops offend my sensibilities. The slight added convenience was far outweighed by their grotesque appearance. They are, easily, my number one complaint (my only complaint, really) regarding the appearance of the interior. Again, JMO...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Seat Belts. What the h$ll are those.:SM127:
Here in the big city, we're lucky to get the car over 30mph.
I've got mine buckled behind the seat.
One of these days, I'm going to find me a dummy
seat belt plug to plug in and turn off the annoying indicator.
I'm short, 5'8", but I hate the way the shoulder belt digs into me.
The pretzel loop allows me to loop around the belt and keeps the belt from
digging into me, when I do where it!

Let the commits fly about not wearing my seat belt:grim:
P.S. thanx for the post. I will remove mine just for the looks:woot:

·
Premium Member
7,284 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
I wear mine because its the law, But I also ride a motorcycle and we don't have helmet laws here. Why is that ok, but its the law for a seat belt in a car. I feel as though we should have a choice in the matter. My brother was in a bad accident when he was 16 as a passenger and was told if he was wearing his seat belt he would have been killed in the accident.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If it wouldn't been for wearing a mandatory seatbelt I would've been dead or paralyzed for the past 20 years. I was in a friend's Daytona Charger ('84 Turbo, not the good one :) ) when we t-boned a guy in downtown San Diego going about 50 MPH. He had run a red light, typical IROC-Z driver.

That said, I experimented by taking the holders off. Looks better but it is an inconvenience and what is more worrisome is that you have to carefully guide the latch back to its resting place or it will smack the plastic cover piece next to the door. My wife's Odyssey is proof of what happens if that is done regularly - it's a scratched up mess. May put the driver side back on but we'll see.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Seat Belts. What the h$ll are those.:SM127:
Here in the big city, we're lucky to get the car over 30mph.
I've got mine buckled behind the seat.
One of these days, I'm going to find me a dummy
seat belt plug to plug in and turn off the annoying indicator.
I'm short, 5'8", but I hate the way the shoulder belt digs into me.
The pretzel loop allows me to loop around the belt and keeps the belt from
digging into me, when I do where it!

Let the commits fly about not wearing my seat belt:grim:
P.S. thanx for the post. I will remove mine just for the looks:woot:
No lecture here, I certainly don't mind a little thinning of the herd. But if you want to turn off that indicator, I believe there is a way to do so. I saw it on here somewhere...

·
Registered
1 Posts
It only takes about 10 minutes to do both seats. You have to depress 2 retainer buttons on each headrest to extract the headrest from the seat. The one intended for height adjustment, plus the "hidden" one on the other headrest post...look carefully at the circular trim piece at the base of the other headrest post. There's a separate, hidden edge piece there that, when pushed in while pushing in the main adjuster on the other post, will allow you to pull the whole headrest all the way out of the seat. The rest is self-explanatory. Just pop the 2 "E" clips off and slide that ugly hula-hoop off that sucker. You don't need to press any buttons to reinstall the headrest, just slide it back in and you're done. Repeat on the other seat.

This really cleans up the look of the seats and, since these things are a "convenience" feature rather than a safety feature, the only possible downside is that you might have to reach a little farther for the belt. If you're a bit taller like me and run with the seat kind of rearward and tilted anyway, you don't even miss the convenience.
Thanks. I've been wondering how to work with them. My biggest deal is I want seat covers but nothing will fit with the "Earrings!" Looks like I can remove them, put on the seat covers then put them back on cos I do like them. I'm a shorty so they are good for me. :eek:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts