Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the hood pin appearance kit on my car, which uses 3M double sided tape. I am ready to remove both of the hood pin rings that are taped on since I bought functional hood pin kit from Mr. Norms, but am concerned that it will take some of the paint with it. Any suggestions / personal experience removing the double sided tape without damaging the paint underneath?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
try a hair dryer to warm it up, if glue is still on paint use goo off, then polish.

that how i took the hood stripes off my car.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Kerosene also works fine to remove adhesive without damaging the paint finish. Don't use anything too aggressive like goof off or lacquer thinner otherwise you risk damaging your paint.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
heat... heat... heat. Pull gently and it will come off.

·
Super Moderator
14,134 Posts
After you apply heat to soften the adhesive, use fishing line between your two hands to remove the hood pin.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your advice. Going to give it a shot this weekend. :thumbsup:

Best regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Use (2) 4" pieces of wooden dowels or broomstick. Tie fishing line, about 1' to both pieces. When piece has been warmed by direct sun or hair dryer, "saw" back and forth under the trim until it "cuts" through. After 3M adhesive remover, you may need to buff it with polishing compound. You should get excellent results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts