Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if you read my other post about random stalling and what I went through to resolve it you will understand my reasoning on this.

The cause for my car to randomly stall was a defective coil pack when hot it will sent a power spike back to the PCM causing a reboot and the car stalls.

I started to experience this when my car was stock which got me thinking the things that it did. I didn't like the stock engine cover and felt it trapped in the heat so I removed it very early on. What I didn't realize with my functional hood scoops and the engine cover removed it allows water to fall directly onto the rear coil packs.

Water falling on the coil packs with the engine extremely hot can cause premature failure of the coil packs.

So weather you have a 5.7, 6.1 or 6.4 I would seriously think about removing your engine covers first.

As I have a magnuson on my 5.7 I no longer have an engine cover but I'm currently looking at getting some to protect the coil packs and electrical connections. That or block off the functional air vents which I don't want to do.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Todd

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Well if you read my other post about random stalling and what I went through to resolve it you will understand my reasoning on this.

The cause for my car to randomly stall was a defective coil pack when hot it will sent a power spike back to the PCM causing a reboot and the car stalls.

I started to experience this when my car was stock which got me thinking the things that it did. I didn't like the stock engine cover and felt it trapped in the heat so I removed it very early on. What I didn't realize with my functional hood scoops and the engine cover removed it allows water to fall directly onto the rear coil packs.

Water falling on the coil packs with the engine extremely hot can cause premature failure of the coil packs.

So weather you have a 5.7, 6.1 or 6.4 I would seriously think about removing your engine covers first.

As I have a magnuson on my 5.7 I no longer have an engine cover but I'm currently looking at getting some to protect the coil packs and electrical connections. That or block off the functional air vents which I don't want to do.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Todd
I have a 2010 Classic as well and I've had my engine cover off all 27k miles of my car with no issues. I drive mine in the rain, snow, sleet you name it.

I'll have to maybe put that engine cover back on though to be safe, hopefully it won't interfere with my catch can hoses.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same car and did the same thing as you. I just don't want to see people have the hassle I did. I'm looking at side cover options right now.

#1 392 half covers seems to be the cheapest
#2 carbon by design, expensive and you still need to trim them
#3 3G custom made of metal that needs painting.
#4 make my own custom out of fiberglass which I'm leaning towards

Todd

·
Registered
320 Posts
This was something that crossed my mind with the Cirvini Ram Air hood. I kept thinking if it rains functional hoods scoops let water in what keeps enough water from running down to the filter. I know its a snow balls chance in hell, but I've been caught a few times in other cars in extreme rain situations once where I had water half way up my doors in an old 84 Cutlass supreme engine never stopped. Other times down south I've seen rain blow side ways last thing I would want is a mod to cause my engine to have issues over a few extra hp. The likely chance I'd take my Challenger out in rain let alone a monsoon is less then .0001%, but shit does happen. Since I sold my FJ cruiser with 3 inch lift and 35's I miss having a vehicle that can go anywhere any time I feel like I constantly have to baby my Challenger.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have a 2010 with functional scoop for 4 years now with out issue and I drive it thru S#$T storms you name it .... no problem 48K

·
Registered
118 Posts
I call BS on this tech opinion too. Water gets everywhere in your engine compartment when it rains whether or not you have functional scoops. Been in many a car in the past that suffered from wet distributor syndrome!

A bad coil pack can happen to anyone.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Really think about this. With the functional hood scoops u do have just a hole leading straight to the engine compartment. The engine compartment at least on my car is pretty sealed up besides these holes. I always wondered why in the rain there was no water on my engine. The radiator fans effectively pressurize the engine compartment forcing air out of these holes. There function is to extract not take in so unless u r parked at a very steep angle during a rain storm I don't see any water finding it's way into the compartment.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I live in rainy Vancouver BC, I can't say for certain water caused the coil pack to fail. What I can say is the random stalling was associated to a faulty coil pack.

As for the fan pressurizing the engine compartment, sorry but water does get down their maybe not as much but it is still getting in into the compartment and lands on top of the coils.

So take it or leave it as this is only an observation, I'm now making my own side covers out of fiberglass to protect the coil packs.

Good luck on whatever you do.

Todd

·
Registered
320 Posts
How does the engine compartment pressurize when there is a giant hole at the bottom that keeps this from happening. The function of the hood scoops is to provide extra cooling on the SRT8's that generate more heat then the STX and RT's before upgrades. Most of the time the fan is only running when the car is sitting for an extended period of the time like at a stop light the rest of the time air is forcing itself and anything else down those intake vents be it rain, dirt, etc.. Look at the engine bays of cars that have functional scoops especially ones that take the engine covers off the top of the engine is a mess usually.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I live in Indiana and I have driven my car almost all winter due to a broken truck. Does that look like there has been a bunch of water and snow getting in there?

When I say pressurize I guess I should have said there is positive pressure in the compartment. When it sitting the fans r pushing air in and when ur driving air is bein pushed into the radiator. Mine has a huge cover under the engine, yours might not.
I have driven many times in the rain and popped the hood to see if there is any water getting in and have never seen it. Really didn't think it was possible until I thought about it. Volume of air coming in the radiator is higher then the volume trying to get in those vents. It can't be over come. Unless there is no cover under the engine then all that theory may go out the window.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 5.7 and the cover has long been removed since I added my supercharger. Your 392 has side covers that protect the coil packs and wiring. I'm wanting to add covers similar to yours as protection for the coils and wiring.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I get that. Not trying to piss in anyone's coolaid either just offering up my opinion. Sometimes I just start thinking and it spills out here.

Not sure if u would want to spend the money but I believe there is a place that makes custom aluminum covers. I'm sure they could or do make them for SC motors.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks BigDodge, I'm hoping you are not thinking I'm offended, I respect everyone's opinion and different views of things help resolve the problems some times.

I just know my coil pack failed which could be for many reasons. I just wand to add a side cover for extra protection.

I'm gong to try my hand at thermal forming plastic and see how it works out for engine covers.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
No worries man. Looking forward to see what u come up with. I'm hoping one day u can interject in one of my future threads for a s/c. :-D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
FWIW the functionality of the scoops are to cool the engine but ... not by ramming air in it actually pulls heat out like a reverse cowl induction hood..... it cools by pulling heat out .... there were many threads on this back in 2009

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
6 winters on my daily driver here in the rust belt and haven't had engine cover on after the first week. Retains heat in the summer and rodents in the winter. Also have "functional" scoops. Approaching 100,000.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My car has the functional vents and I changed my plugs today with 30,060 miles on the clock, my cover came off before I left the dealership with it!!!
No sign of water getting on the coil packs and I live in the rainiest part of the country "highest avg. rainfall" and I drive in the rain a lot. Mine is staying off.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts