Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasted an entire day trying something new on my Challenger... Griot's Machine Polish and Machine Wax kit. I followed the instructions and video carefully but that stuff was the most miserable-to-work-with polish/wax treatment I've used since Blue Coral and the results are very disappointing.

Long story short, I want to start over again using another brand of polish/wax that I've had stunning results from so I'm wondering if anyone knows how to remove the Griot's wax. Will detergent remove it?

What products will I use this time? Midnight Express and Black Velvet.

Here's what I'm used to, my '09 Chevy HHR AA5. Clay Bar, Midnight Express and Black Velvet... all done by hand, no power tools.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dawn should remove it or Adams All Purpose Cleaner either should strip it down to the clear.

I wasted an entire day trying something new on my Challenger... Griot's Machine Polish and Machine Wax kit. I followed the instructions and video carefully but that stuff was the most miserable-to-work-with polish/wax treatment I've used since Blue Coral and the results are very disappointing.

Long story short, I want to start over again using another brand of polish/wax that I've had stunning results from so I'm wondering if anyone knows how to remove the Griot's wax. Will detergent remove it?

What products will I use this time? Midnight Express and Black Velvet.

Here's what I'm used to, my '09 Chevy HHR AA5. Clay Bar, Midnight Express and Black Velvet... all done by hand, no power tools.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Gawd...I remember using Blue Coral in the late 70s / early 80s on my mom's Buick (full-size).

That was one product I never want to use again...hard to apply, even harder to polish out.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I love Griots products but never tried the machine polish/wax kit. You make detailing a black car look easy!

·
Registered
588 Posts
+1 On the dawn dishwashing liquid

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I will agree with Chrys7 - Dawn dishsoap or Adam's All Purpose Cleaner. After washing and rinsing really well you should then do a claybar over the whole car to take off any residue and give you a good clean surface to start from again.

BTW - I know lots of people that love Griot's, as it is local to the Seattle/Tacoma Washington area. But I have not heard anything about their machine products.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions, Dawn it is.

I clay barred the Challenger first step before the Griot's. You're saying I should do it again after the wash?

Griot's does make some great products and I have hundreds of dollars worth of their stuff but this one kicked my butt. It just took forever with a lot of hard rubbing to get it off. All that hard rubbing left scattered "swirl marks" where I had to rub hard.

In the shade it looks great, almost wet. But in the sun you can see the marks.

I'm going to start with the front and work my way back. It's going to be a long road, but that's the curse of a black car. I hope to post pictures so stay tuned.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Was it the Best of Show wax? The first time I used it, I had issues too. You have to use that stuff sparingly and apply it in a grid pattern in small sections going east/west and then north/south and then vice-versa. I usually do the grid thing about 10 times before moving on to a new section. I think just about any dish soap will take wax off. Griots also makes a product for removing wax.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Was it the Best of Show wax? The first time I used it, I had issues too. You have to use that stuff sparingly and apply it in a grid pattern in small sections going east/west and then north/south and then vice-versa. I usually do the grid thing about 10 times before moving on to a new section. I think just about any dish soap will take wax off. Griots also makes a product for removing wax.
Yea, my mistake, it's the Best of Show wax.

Besides being VERY difficult to remove the haze after application it leaves an oily-like surface, not hard. Regardless, I thought I did it right, but if I screwed up the product is too finicky for the average user. IMO, anyway.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Yea, my mistake, it's the Best of Show wax.

Besides being VERY difficult to remove the haze after application it leaves an oily-like surface, not hard. Regardless, I thought I did it right, but if I screwed up the product is too finicky for the average user. IMO, anyway.
Have been using Girot's Best of Show Wax for years. It is easier to remove if you let it dry. I put a light coat on with a buffer and let it dry overnight in my garage then apply a second light coat over the first dry haze. After letting it dry for several hours it wipes off easily. The results are great.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have been using Girot's Best of Show Wax for years. It is easier to remove if you let it dry. I put a light coat on with a buffer and let it dry overnight in my garage then apply a second light coat over the first dry haze. After letting it dry for several hours it wipes off easily. The results are great.
You're probably right. Frankly, by the time I was 3/4 of the way finished I became pretty frustrated and adopted a what-the-hell attitude... "I'll get through this and have a look in the sun." In the sun, the "scuff marks" are visible so I'll be starting over.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I typically discourage people from doing show quality waxes on vehicles that see lots of road use. I've been detailing for almost 10 years now and if you actually drive your vehicle, I recommend:
1) clay bar
2) Meguiars orange gold class soap
3) Meguiars black wax (comes with an applicator pad)
4) California car blade (great for preventing swirls and drying a car quickly)
5) Terry cloth towels (to pick up small amounts of run off)
6) Wolfgang Fuzion Wax (expensive but AWESOME)

Here is my old 09 that I did and my fiancé's 2010 Ralliart (awesome little car)

As far as removing the wax, spray bottle and rubbing alcohol. Dish soap will be fine at pull that stuff off the paint.

Reactions: salvy59

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I typically discourage people from doing show quality waxes on vehicles that see lots of road use. I've been detailing for almost 10 years now and if you actually drive your vehicle, I recommend:
1) clay bar
As far as removing the wax, spray bottle and rubbing alcohol. Dish soap will be fine at pull that stuff off the paint.
Thank you! No doubt that there are some great professional products on the market as indicated by your photos, so I'm going back to the system I'm familiar with. With spring weather upon us here I'm in the mood to spend some quality time with my car so that's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Midnight Express is an all-in-one cleaner/wax, which should remove the Griot's Best of Show. Follow the same steps (Midnight Express, topped with Black Velvet) you did with the HHR; I'm sure you'll achieve the same stellar results.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Midnight Express is an all-in-one cleaner/wax, which should remove the Griot's Best of Show. Follow the same steps (Midnight Express, topped with Black Velvet) you did with the HHR; I'm sure you'll achieve the same stellar results.
I considered that but I was concerned that the Griot's wax would interfere with the effectiveness of the Midnight Express. It's real simple to do a quick detergent wash leaving no question so what-the-hey... I can use the exercise.

But thanks for chiming in! :umbrella:

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
1) clay bar

Here is my old 09 that I did and my fiancé's 2010 Ralliart (awesome little car)

I generally use Adams products, but the Wolfgang Fuzion Wax has been my favorite all time. In fact I may have to order some for the next round of detailing.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Yeah it made my cars look like the paint was wet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts