Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the Blacktop Package has the instrument cluster rings are painted black, and I'd like to paint my rings black also. I know the whole dash panel snaps out, but is there a trick to removing the instrument cluster rings?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
So, the thing is, the cluster lens assy comes off, but the rings are part of that and are under the lens, which isn't meant to come off. The whole thing gets replaced generally. See the video of a Charger (so similar as to be the same)

A new, Blacktop cluster lens assy 68304616AA will be $85+ with shipping

Use CHA1 code if purchase from Luke ;)

A Guy

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A Guy, I just saw your post right now. Earlier today I was monkeying around with it and was able to get the bezel trim off. Although it looks similar to the Charger's, and they both share many parts, it is a separate trim piece (at least for my 2016 SXT+). I guess this thread will be a DIY from my experience:

I used a trim pry tool and started prying it off. The tabs attaching it are a beotch to get off - they hold tightly, but can break easily, as I broke two of them on top. Great care needs to be taken to remove the trim piece - take your time. The trim piece is thin plastic, and can easily bend (crease) while removing it. I was not as careful as I should have been and caused a slight bend on the right side and one on the left side of the piece, but carefully straightened it out once the piece was removed. I also broke off two of the retaining tabs on the top, so my plan is to use some black adhesive silicone in that area when I reattach the trim piece.

The trim piece would look cool painted in various colors (the body color, an accent color, etc.) but I will paint mine satin black tomorrow after wiping it down with alcohol. I'll also take this opportunity to clean the clear plastic bezel lens. I'll post completed pics and observations later this week.

1bezel.jpg 2bezel.jpg 3bezel.jpg 4bezel.jpg 5bezel.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
I misunderstood, I thought you wanted to paint the rings around the Tach and Speedo. Those are gloss black on my Blacktop

The bezels around the vents are also gloss black

A Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts