Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help figuring out how to remove the OEM exhaust tips. I bought the trackhawk tips and from everything I've read it sounded like an easy mod but I've been stuck trying to get my OEM tips off. I've removed the bolt from the clamp, sprayed where they connect to the resonators down the penetrating oil, and smacked them every which way with a rubber mallet and they are not budging. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove stubborn OEM tips?

·
Super Moderator
16,627 Posts
they're on very tight. and they get stuck on. after being torqued down in place for years, getting them separated takes force.

I used a mallet on the backside of the chrome surround - it takes a few strikes - to outer side and inner side. They'll come loose

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they're on very tight. and they get stuck on. after being torqued down in place for years, getting them separated takes force.

I used a mallet on the backside of the chrome surround - it takes a few strikes - to outer side and inner side. They'll come loose
Thanks for the info. When you say the backside, do you mean standing from the rear of the car swinging towards the front or from underneath the car swinging towards the rear? I've tried both with no luck so far.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
i'm surprised to learn you are having difficulty. The OEM tips are on a ball and socket type joint. So, you are saying you have losened the the restraining strap and the unit wont ?budge? at all. Odd, I would have thought if you removed the strap around the bball/socket joint, the weight of the tip would have just caused the unit to flop down. If it doesn't check to see if the previous owner, or whomever may have put a spot weld to hold it in place - if that is the case, well, bust the weld. ??

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm surprised to learn you are having difficulty. The OEM tips are on a ball and socket type joint. So, you are saying you have losened the the restraining strap and the unit wont ?budge? at all. Odd, I would have thought if you removed the strap around the bball/socket joint, the weight of the tip would have just caused the unit to flop down. If it doesn't check to see if the previous owner, or whomever may have put a spot weld to hold it in place - if that is the case, well, bust the weld. ??
On the side I've been working on the most I've completely removed the bolt, the only thing holding the clamp in place is the spot weld from the factory. I think they're just rusted on but I've been hitting them with penetrating oil and giving it a go with a mallet and getting no results. I'm a bit surprised as well that I'm having this much trouble, since the car isn't that old, however it was out in Michigan prior to me buying it so I'm sure that didn't help but the car was very clean when I bought it. Only other thing I can think of is if the spot weld happened to get both the clamp and the tip. I may cut the spot weld on the clamp and completely remove it this weekend if I'm still having no luck by then.

·
Super Moderator
16,627 Posts
Thanks for the info. When you say the backside, do you mean standing from the rear of the car swinging towards the front or from underneath the car swinging towards the rear? I've tried both with no luck so far.
you're swinging from the back of the tip, towards the rear bumper / back end of car

the ball clamp is tack welded to the resonator tip (for ease of assembly on the line) the tip is simply clamped. Between the deformation of being clamped and some oxidation and carbon build up, they get stuck on there

Reactions: cruiserdan

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you're swinging from the back of the tip, towards the rear bumper / back end of car
Thanks Hal. I know it sounds like a stupid question but one of the few videos I've found of someone removing these tips showed him hitting the face of the tips.

I guess I'll keep at it with the PB Blaster and mallet until I get them free.

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time to switch from the rubber mallet to the BFH.
I've been trying to not completely **** up the OEM tips while getting them off. I'm going to stick with the mallet a bit longer before I go for more drastic measures.

Wouldn't a small chisel and hammer be more productive?
Without breaking the tack weld on the clamp and completely removing it I don't think there's really a good angle to get at it with a chisel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I broke the heads off of mine and had to pry the clamp off with a screwdriver. Even then the tips were stuck on and I had to beat them pretty good with the mallet. Of course they were five years old and driven year round in Chicagoland weather. You don’t think they’ll come off but beat them right where the meet the resonators long enough and they will.

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I broke the heads off of mine and had to pry the clamp off with a screwdriver. Even then the tips were stuck on and I had to beat them pretty good with the mallet. Of course they were five years old and driven year round in Chicagoland weather. You don’t think they’ll come off but beat them right where the meet the resonators long enough and they will.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to keep hitting it occasionally with the PB blaster and then try warming them up this weekend. I'm hoping between the two they should finally break free.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine came off today with a light tap with a rubber mallet. That and some overspray on the bottom of the gas tank makes me think it had some work done that didn't show up on carfax.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good lord, I am not changing mine. I saw a ferd exploder with quad tips over the weekend, and I think I saw today a Chevy tahoe with quad tips today.
Pass, I'll just keep my originals, 😸
best regards
parrott

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good lord, I am not changing mine. I saw a ferd exploder with quad tips over the weekend, and I think I saw today a Chevy tahoe with quad tips today.
Pass, I'll just keep my originals, 😸
best regards
parrott
You should reconsider, they look really good. Sorry you're still having so much trouble getting those tips off, nickman. Don't know if you have access to a lift or maybe get it on jacks so you can apply more force. Just keep alternating whacking on the left and right sides of the tip from the rear. Meaning the back of the tips under the car out towards the bumper. You'll get it man.

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You should reconsider, they look really good. Sorry you're still having so much trouble getting those tips off, nickman. Don't know if you have access to a lift or maybe get it on jacks so you can apply more force. Just keep alternating whacking on the left and right sides of the tip from the rear. Meaning the back of the tips under the car out towards the bumper. You'll get it man.
Thanks. I've redone the bolts for the moment as I needed to drive the car yesterday. I'm going on a bit of a trip this weekend to visit some friends and my plan is to leave the clamps a bit loose for the drive home to hopefully give things a chance to heat up and expand a bit over the hour and a half I'll spend on the highway heading home. Then after I get home, loosen the clamps up all the way and break out the mallet again.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yours exhaust tips do look good, 'Semper Sal' 👍
I love those Texas plates. Just a white background, black letters/numerals, a 'star' & the state name 'Texas' .
Great looking plate, nice uncluttered, simple.

There was another pic on here the other day of a widebody I think? They had really nice looking license plates, black background and white letters, and just a state name, 'Iowa' .
They looked great on a white Challenger !

Really nice Semper Sal !
best regards
parrott

Reactions: Semper Sal

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yours exhaust tips do look good, 'Semper Sal' 👍
I love those Texas plates. Just a white background, black letters/numerals, a 'star' & the state name 'Texas' .
Great looking plate, nice uncluttered, simple.

There was another pic on here the other day of a widebody I think? They had really nice looking license plates, black background and white letters, and just a state name, 'Iowa' .

Really nice Semper Sal !
best regards
parrott
Thanks parrott

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,550 Posts

Really nice Semper Sal !
best regards
parrott

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
185 Posts
You might also consider using a torch to heat expand the outside metal then whacking it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts