Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
It just pops out. There is no actual "key" per say, like a house key. The remote you have in your hand is also the key. Once the button is removed, you just insert the short end of the FOB into the key hole and voila.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yep...ditto...valet key removes button, just pry underneath a little...stick fob in and turn it like a key. Pop button back in if you want it back in. Make sure it is turned off all the way if you do this though. I remote started mine and popped back in the button and had to do it all while it was turned off again for it to register correctly.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Around the outside of the chrome piece theres space between the dash, just push the pop out valet key from the fob underneath it and pry it off, it will pop really easily. If you want you can use a screwdriver or something like it, dont have to just use the key but thats the easiest.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
2,643 Posts
:SM127:Let me ask you all. If your fob isnt working, and you remove the button and stick the plastic fob into the slot, can any one just start your car with any kind to made up fob or a screw driver or something?? This is a concern of mine . How is this secure. What am i missing here??

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
i think the car has to detect your fob in order for it to work. If you notice when you get in the car and try to start it without the key nearby, it will say "Key Fob not detected"

·
Registered
2018 SRT
2,643 Posts
ok yes 425, what if the fob is not detected or the car will not detect it, is it a is there a way to start the car with the key in the fob, or using the fob?? Or do we call the Flat bed service???

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
now that im not sure of. that was one thing i often wondered about. also, what exactly is the valet key used for? I dont see anywhere to insert, unless it can be used behind the push start button. If thats the case you could always use that i guess :SM127:

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
now that im not sure of. that was one thing i often wondered about. also, what exactly is the valet key used for? I dont see anywhere to insert, unless it can be used behind the push start button. If thats the case you could always use that i guess :SM127:
The valet key is what you keep when you hand your car to the valet, not the other way around. It lets you lock the glove box and get in and out of the car while still giving them the opportunity to start it up and move it ect.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
The valet key is what you keep when you hand your car to the valet, not the other way around. It lets you lock the glove box and get in and out of the car while still giving them the opportunity to start it up and move it ect.

That's correct. The valet key fits only the driver's door and the glove box.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The key is also so you can get in your car if the car battery or remote battery is dead ;)

'08 SRT8 #533, Black, All Options, No Mods.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The key has an RFID chip in it that corresponds to a receiver in the dash; it must be activated before the car will start. There is a different code in each key (up to a certain point...they do duplicate the code when they run out, so there's a remote chance that some other Dodge owner could start your car).

·
Registered
2 Posts
The battery in the fob has to be present in order to start the car no matter what, right? It can't read the RFID (or whatever wireless technology is being used) to authenticate without battery power in the fob?

I've heard that maybe just maybe the battery in the fob is just to request door unlock/lock/panic and other functions but the ignition authentication doesn't need any power. Different wireless technologies?

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
The battery in the fob has to be present in order to start the car no matter what, right? It can't read the RFID (or whatever wireless technology is being used) to authenticate without battery power in the fob?

I've heard that maybe just maybe the battery in the fob is just to request door unlock/lock/panic and other functions but the ignition authentication doesn't need any power. Different wireless technologies?
If the battery is dead in the Fobik, the Fobik can be inserted into the WIN Module (remove push button start) and
the WIN module will inductively power the Fokik to start the vehicle.

Reactions: Hurst 41

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts