Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '13 Auto RT and for a little bit of cash I plan on removing my resonators this Friday , I'm just nervous that I won't like it but if that's the case then maybe I'll go with the Solo exhaust set up but for now I'm trying to save a few $$$$. This year is going to be busy with cash going out the door and just going to try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I should have just removed my resonators first and listened to how the car sounded. I removed the OEM mufflers and resonators. Installed an imitation MagnaFlow 40 series muffler and I get a drone that I may to deal with later. The car does sound like a muscle car.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It'll sound like a true muscle car from the outside.
Only potential issue is that the drone may make your skull numb. But then again, it depends on whether you're sensitive to drone or not----some people don't mind it and actually seem to like it. I didn't mind drone 20 years ago, but I can't take it now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I told the shop that I may need to put them back on .... haha , but I gotta try it for the price

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sounds like the route i took. Started with resonator delete. Then ordered Solo within a week cause the drone sucked.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I read up on this the more I might pass on having this done , I'll just wait and buy a system from solo or something ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2012 Challenger R/T and just did the Blastin' Bob's resonator delete kit, the one that is just straight pipe only. It is louder and I love it, but you do get the interior drone around 2k rpm range. I personally don't care, either turn up the radio or I am going to get used to it. Glad I did the one with straight pipes and not resonated or perforated options. All work was done by backing up on car ramps and removing resonators and tips in about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The drone is horrible with the resonators gone, my car is a daily driver so depending in your use I would really think about it. I put my resonators back on the same day.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I cut mine off and straight piped it 2nd day of ownership (hate how quiet they are from factory). Been running no resonator for two years now and the only issue is when the MDS kicks in (I simply run in manual 99.9% the time anyway, so that takes care of that). Wont worry about it once the Zoomers are on and the MDS is turned OFF this summer.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Sounds like the route i took. Started with resonator delete. Then ordered Solo within a week cause the drone sucked.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Would love to hear that Solo exhaust on your R/T in person. If your ever up in Santa Clarita let me know.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Transmission choice is the problem here. In the manuals, at 60-70 mph you're below 2000rpms so it's a non-issue. In the automatics at 60-70 mph you're right at 2000rpms so that's a massive problem. I wouldn't do it on an auto but on a stick, go for it. My '12 6 spd R/T has the resonators deleted and it's awesome. I love it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what happens if I run with the mds off at 60-70 will I still get the same amount of drone ?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Yes because it's the RPMs not the amount of cylinders firing. I have this issue on my 6 speed at the same rpm regardless of load and I don't have MDS

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok thanks ! , I'm still not sure what to do , for $100 bucks I thought maybe I'll try it then I tell myself why bother. When I drive my Trans am it sounds sweet but driving this is just way too quite for me

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Are you auto or stick? It sounds like you're auto to me.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I'm a firm believer that you are best-off keeping your rear resonators intact on the auto. I have topic(s) on how you can explore a sensible middleground between resonators vs no resonators, but they are somewhat controversial (hence, I will not link them, here ;) ).

If you're really squeamish about taking the big jump, you can always opt to just remove *one* resonator as a preliminary test for drone issues. See how it sounds, then evaluate if you think you can tolerate twice that amount of sound if you removed both. If you figure that 1 resonator is about right for what you can tolerate, then you can just install a Flowmaster 10 series in place of the resonator that was removed, to facilitate a "sort of" balanced exhaust system (if that concerns you).

On the subject of "mds drone", imagine the time you observed a 4-banger with a very loud exhaust. That is essentially what you are asking for when you remove 2 resonators. It will be loud (because it is a loud exhaust w/o the resonators), and operation in 4-cylinder mode will very much resemble a typical 4-banger. Click to autostick mode, and the mds sound will go away, but you will certainly still have v8 drone in the same driving instances. It will be just as loud, but the sound will simply be different.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I went through this with my 6 spd. Had this done on a monday and on friday I had my solo mach x with j pipes installed. Mines a daily and drive 22 miles to work. I shift below 2k rpms. I couldnt stand the drone. I noticed it as soon as I drove away from the muffler shop. Should of just went with the solo from the beginning. Now I cant even imagine the drone with an auto.

Plain and simple, if you like drone do it. If not go solo. You wont regret it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again guys , I ended up canceling my appointment , so now I'll look into something else once I get the fundage together :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts