Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a little while ago, I was all set to replace the stock webbing in my front seatbelts with a different color scheme to match my car. HOWEVER....when trying to remove the bottom bolt at the base of the front of the rear seat...I stripped the head of the bolt. I tried many things, to not avail. The one thing I hadn't tried is using a torch to heat the bolt. I'm guessing that there is permanent thread Lock-tite on it? After a few hours trying to remove it, I gave up and left it for another day.
Short of taking it to a shop to drill it out or something, does anyone have any helpfull tips? I cannot find a nut extractor big enough to get over the head. It is now rounded off.
Is heat gonna do it?

·
Registered
776 Posts
They are lock-tighted in on several FCA products. The adhesive is probably all gnarled up on the threads now.

A shop with a heat induction tool may be able to get it out. Be warned, if you brought it to a shop like my shop, and we extracted the bolt and found the threads damaged inside, we would not repair the threads. The only repair we would do would be the OEM approved replacement of he panel the seat belt bolt hole is in.

I'm actually surprised that you can find a place to re-web. The assembly's are designed to be non serviceable and the liability absolutely huge.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would the threads be damaged? If so why couldn't you helicoil them? Why would the adhesive be gnarled up when the bolt hadn't moved?
I'm not criticizing your response, I'm asking for my knowledge.

As far as rewebbing, I do know of a couple that do it: Seatbelt Planet and Safety Restore. You send your belts to them and they reweb, which is what I was trying to do. They also do repair/resets on belts that have been tripped by an accident.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
818 Posts
So a little while ago, I was all set to replace the stock webbing in my front seatbelts with a different color scheme to match my car. HOWEVER....when trying to remove the bottom bolt at the base of the front of the rear seat...I stripped the head of the bolt. I tried many things, to not avail. The one thing I hadn't tried is using a torch to heat the bolt. I'm guessing that there is permanent thread Lock-tite on it? After a few hours trying to remove it, I gave up and left it for another day.
Short of taking it to a shop to drill it out or something, does anyone have any helpfull tips? I cannot find a nut extractor big enough to get over the head. It is now rounded off.
Is heat gonna do it?
File or grind 2 flats on it for a smaller wrench, or slot it for a tip of a pry bar. But if you can get to it safely with all interior protected, I would set a larger nut on top of it and weld that onto the old head of the bolt, then try to unscrew it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Why would the threads be damaged? If so why couldn't you helicoil them? Why would the adhesive be gnarled up when the bolt hadn't moved?
I'm not criticizing your response, I'm asking for my knowledge.

As far as rewebbing, I do know of a couple that do it: Seatbelt Planet and Safety Restore. You send your belts to them and they reweb, which is what I was trying to do. They also do repair/resets on belts that have been tripped by an accident.
I have only seen the gnarled threads on bolts that have been partially removed before that just completely stop turning.

No one in their right mind will repair seatbelt threads, especially a collision shop. The liability is to high. FCAs only procedure for repair is the replacement of the panel. If that means replacing the floor, that's the only way we would repair it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first two suggestions I tried. the third I can't do. I don't/can't weld. That is what I might have a shop do.
I think heating up the bolt may help loosen the lock-tite?
I have never had any luck with screw extractors either.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He talks about them around the 14:20 mark. And yeah, I didn't take the rear seat out at first. :confused:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wanna say a T-50 Torx IIRC? This was a project I abandoned a while ago, and am looking to reinstate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wanna say a T-50 Torx IIRC? This was a project I abandoned a while ago, and am looking to reinstate.
Man I'm really sorry to hear you had so much trouble! I think you had the right idea with going the welding route. Maybe have a shop weld a socket directly to the head of the bolt and ordering a replacement?? I just installed red hellcat seatbelts in my 19" Scat and I think the final result is definitely worth the hassle!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts