Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 srt8. Aftermarket wheels.

Here's my issue. Bought a car and it has locking lug nuts on each wheel. No key. Dealer doesn't have the key. They are open ended lug nuts so it looks like they are nice and rusted. I used the craftsman lug out socket and it just ate up the exterior of the nut. Kept using smaller sizes and now I am down the the wheel stud thread. Unfortunately the cone at the end is still holding strong. Is there any way to get to the back of the studs to grind the face off of it to pull it through the hub? Or any other ideas??

I have only messed with the drivers side rear so far and have a feeling the other 3 are going to be the same disaster :(

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I have had good luck tack welding a junk socket to the locking lug nut. Generally speaking if you are careful, the rim remains undamaged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are tool sets to remove them, matco and snap-on make them, they are about $80.

The easiest way is just bring it to competent shop, they can air hammer them off without scratching the wheel. The chryco ones are pretty easy, did a set last week on a 13 Grand Cherokee that the owner lost the key on...

·
Registered
133 Posts
looks like this, they stock them at advanced auto (or at least they used to):

you beat them on with a hammer and (theoretically) viola! works most of the time...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried those. Have a set of them. Unfortunately they have just shaved the nut down to nothing now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had the same problem with a truck I bought...I got a 1/8 carbide end mill and a dremel and I carved the inside where the key pattern is to a allen socket shape and then hammered the allen socket on and used a breaker bar and it came off. good luck

·
Registered
727 Posts
2012 srt8. Aftermarket wheels.

Here's my issue. Bought a car and it has locking lug nuts on each wheel. No key. Dealer doesn't have the key. They are open ended lug nuts so it looks like they are nice and rusted. I used the craftsman lug out socket and it just ate up the exterior of the nut. Kept using smaller sizes and now I am down the the wheel stud thread. Unfortunately the cone at the end is still holding strong. Is there any way to get to the back of the studs to grind the face off of it to pull it through the hub? Or any other ideas??

I have only messed with the drivers side rear so far and have a feeling the other 3 are going to be the same disaster :(
Tell the dealer to contact the old owner to get the key or tell the dealer they are responsible for removing them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried working with the dealer. Unfortunately he is in Miami fl, and I am in NC. I flew down there and bought the car and drove it home. About 200 miles into my trip home I realized there wasn't a wheel key. They aren't being very helpful to say the least.

·
Registered
579 Posts
There are locking lug nut removers that have sharp carbide "teeth" that bite into the metal and grip it for removal. My local speed shop used it on one of my cars and it worked nicely.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I had a situation where a local tire shop put my lugs on too tight. No matter what they tried, they couldn't get any of the lugs off and ended up using a torch to cut them off. They ruined the entire rim, and studs. The lugs just ground down to round pieces of metal. Take it to a reputable tire shop and have them remove them before you end up doing more damage. A new rim from the dealer was 995.00.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats my biggest problem, if they were OEM wheels I wouldnt be as worried. They are Forgiato forged wheels and not cheap at all. My next step is going to be trying to remove the hub with the wheel still on it and grind the back off the stud to push it through the front.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I had the same problem with a truck I bought...I got a 1/8 carbide end mill and a dremel and I carved the inside where the key pattern is to a allen socket shape and then hammered the allen socket on and used a breaker bar and it came off. good luck
^^This^^

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
My daughter lost hers,did a front brake job.I got an 1/2" 12 point socket with a breaker bar I used a very long ratchet.( it has to be an 12 point) that was a little smaller than the lug nut,and beat it on with a small sledge or big hammer.Just make sure it goes on straight.was hell to get the nut out but I managed(vice and punch).The nuts came right off to my surprise
Then she had a flat on the rear out of town,took it to a local tire shop and they had a way to get it off.So if you don't try my way,call some tire shops about it.
The socket will be no good afterwards buy a cheap one,or two.Pawn shops nearly give them away couple dollars.
I used 19mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got it off!!

OK, here is what I started with,

After using this,

and some smaller sized ones, it left me with the threads to the stud showing but the conical part the meets the wheel was still holding strong and there was nothing that could reach back there to grab a hold of it. So I decided I am going to drill out the the stud!

Started with a 3/16" colbalt bit and drilled to where the the lug nut 'should' end... basically not all the way through the entire stud, just far enough.

Next I went with a 1/2" cobalt bit and drilled until the lug nut just popped off! It took a total of about 30 minutes, and for around $6 I can go get another stud to push in there.

Here is the lug nut once I got it out.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Good job. What about the other three?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, that's tomorrow's challenge. I've been soaking them in liquid wrench all day today and will again tomorrow too. Then I'll try taking them off. If that fails I will have to drill then out as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts