Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed their Shaker stripes with good results that it doesn’t leave paint difference. Will a body shop have better results?

I want to remove mine, but my biggest fear is having that paint difference from the Florida sun.

What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I ordered mine with a stripe delete but it will matter how old your car is, what color, and does it sit outside it’s entire life or is it in the garage. Those things will make a big difference.

A B5 car that’s only a couple years old and sleeps in a garage will not be a problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered mine with a stripe delete but it will matter how old your car is, what color, and does it sit outside it’s entire life or is it in the garage. Those things will make a big difference.

A B5 car that’s only a couple years old and sleeps in a garage will not be a problem.
Mine is kept outside because I unfortunately don’t have a garage, but the 1st owner had it garage kept to my knowledge.

·
Banned
173 Posts
I've never been a fan of stripes on the Challenger. I'd love to have a "Shaker" with an inverted color-matched cowl. :)

Reactions: FrostyOwl

·
Registered
263 Posts
I thought about removing my black strips because I am NOT a fan of vinyl......... The "look" has grown on me and everyone loves the look of the stripes so I have kept them on for now.
My SP is garage kept even during the day when parked so I would think the paint is not faded.
I did have a small "ding" on the roof of the car and the PDR guy was hesitant on trying to remove it on the stripe because he could damage the vinyl......... He did remove the ding and you can’t tell where it was.

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
440 Posts
Put the car in the hot sun for several hours and just peel them off. There should not be any paint difference if you have kept your car clean and waxed. I had my Daytona for 4 years before I peeled the hood, roof and side Daytona decals off. Could not tell the difference.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put the car in the hot sun for several hours and just peel them off. There should not be any paint difference if you have kept your car clean and waxed. I had my Daytona for 4 years before I peeled the hood, roof and side Daytona decals off. Could not tell the difference.
Good to know. Took it to a auto detailer here in Miami that does wraps for cars & he told me about the paint difference.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the stripes were peeled off my GWE there was a difference in the color, ended up having the stripes redone. The Florida sun is brutal on cars.

- Alexis
If that were to happen, isn’t there some kind of paint correction that could be done?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
973 Posts
I removed the stripes from my Jazz Blue Scat Pack when the car was 1.5 years old. When first removed, it was possible to see the line for about a year if I got the lighting at a perfect angle. I'm a retired paint / body man so my eye's are trained to see any difference in texture, shape or color. I doubt that 99 out of 100 people would be able to see it assuming the finish has been well maintained. However, there is always a chance it will be visible. If it were visible, time and polishing should make it disappear. As someone else suggested, heat from the sun or a heat gun will make removal easy.

If you remove the stripes let us know how it worked out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Mine was noticeably different on my car when I pulled the rt stripes to put new ones on. (Jazz blue)

I think it would be more noticeable on dark cars rather than light, but what do I know lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nightwing

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
610 Posts
Redid my aftermarket tail stripe after 5 years - 4 of those directly exposed to the sun in Hawaii all day every day - and there wasn't a noticeable difference. So after 2 years you should be fine.

In any case, don't wait until the vinyl starts cracking after 9 years because removal is a major PITA. Just did this with my hood decal and it just breaks apart instead of peeling, even with a heatgun and plastic scraper. There was some UV fading with that one but a new decal went right back on so I didn't worry about it.

Oh, Rapid Remover from Rapid Tac (I got it off Amazon) is the best at removing adhesive residue - so much faster than rubbing alcohol or GooGone requiring a fraction of the elbow grease.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Redid my aftermarket tail stripe after 5 years - 4 of those directly exposed to the sun in Hawaii all day every day - and there wasn't a noticeable difference. So after 2 years you should be fine.

In any case, don't wait until the vinyl starts cracking after 9 years because removal is a major PITA. Just did this with my hood decal and it just breaks apart instead of peeling, even with a heatgun and plastic scraper. There was some UV fading with that one but a new decal went right back on so I didn't worry about it.

Oh, Rapid Remover from Rapid Tac (I got it off Amazon) is the best at removing adhesive residue - so much faster than rubbing alcohol or GooGone requiring a fraction of the elbow grease.
Good to know. Thanks brother

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
681 Posts
I removed the Shaker stripes from my Plum Crazy Challenger after about three and a half years. Not really a noticeable difference in paint color or shade, but I know where the stripes were and so can see a difference if I really look for it. No one else has seen a difference, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I removed the Shaker stripes from my Plum Crazy Challenger after about three and a half years. Not really a noticeable difference in paint color or shade, but I know where the stripes were and so can see a difference if I really look for it. No one else has seen a difference, though.
Did you compound or polish the surface after removing the stripes?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you compound or polish the surface after removing the stripes?
Haven’t done it yet. What do you recommend I use afterwards?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
681 Posts
I did use some polishing compound. About three passes took care of the outlines of the stripes.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts