Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen this a lot and never really understood why people do it, or if there's a benefit to it. When people remove the rubber hose from the box to the engine, and seal the hole in the air box or air hose and attach a small filter to the part coming off the engine is there a reason for this? And please use more technical terms than me haha, Im still trying to learn everyday and would appreciate being told what everything is actually called.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
That hose is a fresh air inlet for the pcv system( positive crankcase ventilation) the air needs to be filtered. Putting a filter at the intake nipple accomplishes the same thing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That hose is a fresh air inlet for the pcv system( positive crankcase ventilation) the air needs to be filtered. Putting a filter at the intake nipple accomplishes the same thing.
Adding to that, it keeps oil vapor coming from the engine from entering the air going into the engine and helping to keep the throttle body cleaner.

However, it does not pass emissions test, at least not here in UT. Although simple to change back and forth.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Adding to that, it keeps oil vapor coming from the engine from entering the air going into the engine and helping to keep the throttle body cleaner.
Any advantage to putting a catch can in line there too?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Any advantage to putting a catch can in line there too?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Doubtful.
Theoretically, the only time oil vapor comes out of that hose would be under open throttle conditions when blow by exceeds the vacuum in the intake.
On mine, the add on filter shows very little signs of oil.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So really there's no need or advantage to it? It's almost more of a personal preference type thing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts