Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. Haven't even put my profile in. Looking at getting a Go Mango SXT Plus but I want to go a different direction on the striping. Anyone done it? I've looked at a few:program: youtube videos. Also, how difficult is it to install, is it similar to the classic striping installs. Some real world advice would go a long way with my:x wife. Thanks

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,462 Posts
Stripes are a lot easier to remove than they are to install. If you're unsure of your striping abilities seek out someone who does it for a living and guarantees the results.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I yanked my RT stripes off my car (jazz blue with "black") stripes almost immediately after getting the car. The mopar stripes appeared more charcoal gray with a hint of olivey green in them than the matte black they claimed. I put on a set of the same style RT stripes from a 3rd party company that were actually MATTE BLACK. One of the best things I ever did visually to the car.

Okay done with story time. Removing is very easy. Heat the vinyl up a little to loosen then work your finger nail under an edge carefully and pull away at 90 degrees or greater from the car. Go kinda slow and if the vinyl keeps ripping heat it up more (hairdryer or the like).

Putting on is fairly easy but I would advise having a partner for any big decals. My girlfriend helped me and they went on beautiful in about an hour.
Prep the surface, clean the whole car and make sure the ground and such around you is clear of blowing debris (get rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth and clean the areas the decal will be applied on the paint AND the surrounding areas)
Dry fit the decals (get them lined up how you want and if you need to, put down some painters tape as guide marks) so you know exactly what you are doing.
RE-CLEAN THE AREAS
Some companies tell you how to prep the paint surface and or the decals, either with just water or a water/soap mixture but make sure you know which (should have instructions)
Spray the decal backs (side to go on paint surface) after removing the cover and spray the surface paint
Apply decal to paint and adjust (the water mix acts as fluid layer so you can slide around and adjust them), when you get them how you want press down in a couple spots to secure it
Have a plastic squeegee (like a painters leveling tool) and spray the exposed side of the decals with the same solution then use the tool to squeeze out any bubbles and get all the mix out from under the decals, go slow
Repeat working sections at a time. Be careful using the tool and make sure that the tool is free of any sharp edges.
Remove the backing on the decals after allowed some time to dry and then inspect to see if there are any sides coming up, smooth down.

Lots of stuff but its all important otherwise you can get tiny particles under the decals and yes they are very visible. Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,462 Posts
What the previous poster wrote is very good advice. I want to emphasize that you use a hair dryer to heat the vinyl for removal and NOT a heat gun. Way too hot. May cause damage to the paint.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Stripes are a lot easier to remove than they are to install. If you're unsure of your striping abilities seek out someone who does it for a living and guarantees the results.
.....UNLESS......
They have been on there in the heat for 4-5 years!

I've been visiting while the shop is removing and replacing my vinyl stripes on the GWE SRT8 and replacing with air brushing.
The glue would not separate well from the paint in places on the hood, top and trunk; and ended up being sanded off!
:(

·
Vendor
1,720 Posts
All the above is good advice. Yes, use a hairdryer and NOT a heat gun if you are not familiar with the process. If the car is new, and you live in a sunny climate, you might even be able to take them off with no additional heat. I removed a Scat Pack tail stripe from a customers car a couple weeks ago and we live in PA. The car was in the sun and was heated up nicely. I would NOT Recommend doing the install in the sun. The surface will get too hot, and you will end up with bubbles.

If you have any additional questions, please post, and be sure to check out our full line of Challenger Stripes and graphics here..... RiderGraphix.com 2015 & Up Dodge Challenger Stripes Graphics Decals Dodge Charger Graphics Ford Mustang Graphics Chevy Silverado Graphics Retro Custom Graphics Stripes Decals Boss Hockey Stick HEMI

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just added vinyl stripes to the side of my new sps this week....I plan on doing a detailed thread soon on the whole process. This was my first time doing this. I would recommend getting a pro to apply them. It is not easy!!! If you notice on those youtube videos there is no closeup shots at different light angles. Bet they have lots of bubbles and imperfections. There are lots of opportunities to screw up your paint. Good luck.

·
Vendor
1,720 Posts
I just added vinyl stripes to the side of my new sps this week....I plan on doing a detailed thread soon on the whole process. This was my first time doing this. I would recommend getting a pro to apply them. It is not easy!!! If you notice on those youtube videos there is no closeup shots at different light angles. Bet they have lots of bubbles and imperfections. There are lots of opportunities to screw up your paint. Good luck.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. As long as the surface of the car is cleaned properly and the job is not done outside in a windstorm, vinyl graphics are relatively easy to install if you follow the instructions and use some common sense.

As far as lots of opportunities to "Screw Up" the paint, there are literally Zero (unless you use the wrong cleaner on your paint, or use sandpaper). If there are bubbles or dirt or creases, they are in the vinyl and NOT in the paint. Actually installing vinyl protects the paint underneath. Yes, if you install stripes on a car, leave it bake in the sun for 15 years, then remove them, you will see the effects of the weather on the exposed pant, and the paint under the stripes will be like new in most cases. Again, there is NO WAY to screw up your paint by installing vinyl graphics. N ow, if you go and paint stripes on your car, you're pretty much done with any oem paint.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Bet they have lots of bubbles and imperfections. There are lots of opportunities to screw up your paint. Good luck.
I don't know where you live, but a couple of hot days in the sun, and those bubbles will disappear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts