Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you find yourself, like I did, with a snapped off dipstick handle and no way to get the stick out of the tube it's an easy fix.

the dipstick tube is held in place by a single black bolt inconveniantly placed right next to the black alternator brace you see pictured. The bolt can't be removed completely with the alternator brace still in place, it's like three threads too long, DOH.

If you remove the bolt to the alternator brace on the engine side you can wriggle just enough room to then remove the dipstick bolt.

once the bolt is free simply pull the tube up and out, push the broken stick out from the bottom, replace in reverse...don't forget your new disptick LOL. A bit of advise from charger forums...oil the O ring on the dipstick handle to help reduce the chances of sticking in the future

Hope that helps anyone who still owns a 3.5L Challenger

Reactions: Black Retro

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I'm not sure if we had the same issue or not, but mine snapped right below the yellow ring that you put your finger into. I knew this would happen eventually as my dip stick was always a pain to get it released. I just drilled a guide hole down into the remaining plastic, and screwed a wood screw part way down into the plastic. I then pulled up on the woodscrew with pliers and the dip stick came out. FWIW, the new dip stick I bought worked so much easier. There must have been an over sized O-ring in my original.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine snapped above the O ring on the plastic handle. I tried your technique as well but could not get a good enough bite with the screw to hold and the remaining plastic just got tore up in the tube. Hence having to remove the tube to either push the stick up from the bottom or pull it on through. Your way is alot easier I admit, wish it had worked for me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
LOL so ,funny, the next day after reading this post, I had the car in for a oil change and the yellow handle snapped of in the tech hand. Talk about timing.

Jiffy Lub said that they will pay for a new dip stick and install it for free

·
Registered
260 Posts
Years ago when dip sticks were all metal, removing the tube was the only way to get a broken dip stick out. But if the handle breaks off on these plastic tipped dip sticks and a piece of the plastic is just under the top of the tube, try using a dowel and a little epoxy. Take a dowel a little smaller in diameter than the tube, place a very small amount of epoxy (Loctite Super glue or Loctite Epoxy Instant Mix works well) on the tip of the dowel and place it on the broken piece. Just be careful not to get it on the tube, hold it for a couple of minutes and pull out the stick. Sometimes the bolt holding the tube on is hard to reach, so this is a good alternative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure if we had the same issue or not, but mine snapped right below the yellow ring that you put your finger into. I knew this would happen eventually as my dip stick was always a pain to get it released. I just drilled a guide hole down into the remaining plastic, and screwed a wood screw part way down into the plastic. I then pulled up on the woodscrew with pliers and the dip stick came out. FWIW, the new dip stick I bought worked so much easier. There must have been an over sized O-ring in my original.
This is correct. But I squeezed the dip stick housing just a bit to have a stopper when drilling.

Cutting tool
Material property Auto part Cutting tool Metal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.