Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing Mopar Short Throw shifter handle and looking for any tips on how to NOT destroy the trim ring, boot and console when removing them-I'm sure the part comes with instructions, but anyone have any advice on taking them out? Is it easy? Thanks.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Just seeing this. Go to Harbor Freight and get the plastic removal tools for about $4. They'll help pup up the plastic ring around the boot. You can do it with your hand, and I could get it up for you in a minute, but there's basically 8 or so snap connectors that you're popping out (2 per side). The tool helps keep these from breaking. Once you do it. Odds you'll be in there again.

Good luck.

HemiSam

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
P.S. you would have probably gotten a quicker response in the general discussion section for something like this ;-)

HemiSam

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
My trick is to use my hand and push the leather down near the edge of the boot and wrap my fingers under the edge and then give a quick tug. Repeat this two or three more times working your way around the premiter of the trim ring.

This pulls the trim ring up without any pry marks on the console or trim ring. I have had mine out 5-6 times for several reasons and this always works. I was intimidated the first time, now It takes a few seconds and it is off. Need to do it again this weekend in fact...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts