Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So I'm working on my 2016 Challenger. The shifter suddenly became really loose/sloppy.
So I opened it up and found that this bushing came loose and moved itself forward so the the shaft now has a lot of play in the "knuckle".
So I fixed this by glueing the bushing back into the knuckle, and also greasing the shaft to give it more freedom to move around.
This is just a band-aid repair and I need to fix it permanently.

Is this a part I can purchase online or dealer only? (will be googling shortly after posting this. :) )
I'm not looking to replace/upgrade anything as I'm happy with the look and feel of the stock shifter.
Just need a permanent fix for this.

*As a side note, I noticed rust forming on the edge of the sheet metal inside here. :( So I sprayed it a bit...hopefully that will slow it...

Thanks!
Henry.

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
Bushing # 68292259AA (rear of shifter) - through dealer or online through various dealers that sell on the 'web

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect, thanks for the part number. Did a quick search and just ordered it online.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,756 Posts
This is one of the reasons I went with a Barton "OEM" style shifter assembly...tightens everything up plus shorter throws. It is kinda pricey but IMO worth every penny.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is one of the reasons I went with a Barton "OEM" style shifter assembly...tightens everything up plus shorter throws. It is kinda pricey but IMO worth every penny.

Ya, I thought about that. The $85 CND it cost me for the part could have gone towards a new shifter altogether. But in the end, I like the stock look and feel. So ended up just replacing the bushing. I watched a few video reviews on shifters, and if I were to replace it in the future I think Barton would be my choice based on everything I had read.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,756 Posts
If you get the barton OEM handle version you can use the stock shifter and ball (the ball is pressed on the shaft). I used Lou's short shifter which allowed me to install a speeddawg shifter knob...absolutely love this set-up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts